The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

Raw is at Madison Square Garden on July 22nd.

Money In The Bank is on July 2nd.

Cody Rhodes appears to be the face of the latter PPV.

Odds on Cody to face Rollins at HIAC, win MITB and then the next night on Raw challenge Roman for that MSG episode of Raw?

If the stories are true that the respective networks of Raw and Smackdown are getting the arse about the lack of exclusivity of their talent, I could see them finding a way of separating Roman’s titles at some point.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Raw is at Madison Square Garden on July 22nd.

Money In The Bank is on July 2nd.

Cody Rhodes appears to be the face of the latter PPV.

Odds on Cody to face Rollins at HIAC, win MITB and then the next night on Raw challenge Roman for that MSG episode of Raw?

If the stories are true that the respective networks of Raw and Smackdown are getting the arse about the lack of exclusivity of their talent, I could see them finding a way of separating Roman’s titles at some point.

As they did an advert for MITB with Cody, announcing that the winners of the mens and woman’s match will win a Wrestlemania Main Event, I’d say not that likely.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As they did an advert for MITB with Cody, announcing that the winners of the mens and woman’s match will win a Wrestlemania Main Event, I’d say not that likely.

Winning Money In The Bank has always given you the chance to main event Wrestlemania. It’s up to you whether you take that chance.

I can’t imagine they’re getting rid of the any time, any place gimmick as that’s basically the gimmick. No need for a briefcase if it’s ‘win a match at a set time and place’.

I think they’ve just found a way of scripting it to sound grand as they’ve got a stadium to fill.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think they’ve just found a way of scripting it to sound grand as they’ve got a stadium to fill.

That's definitely the reason, yeah, and they seem to be trying to make the Wrestlemania afterglow last as long as humanly possible this time (even beyond Wrestlemania Backlash!).

Which is why I wouldn't be at all surprised if, even if the gimmick becomes winner will challenge at Mania, they do the good old "I don't want to wait, I want my match tonight/at Summerslam/in the UK/whatever!" deal and sell that as "we're getting a Wrestlemania quality main event right here!!"

7 minutes ago, Statto said:

That's definitely the reason, yeah, and they seem to be trying to make the Wrestlemania afterglow last as long as humanly possible this time (even beyond Wrestlemania Backlash!).

Which is why I wouldn't be at all surprised if, even if the gimmick becomes winner will challenge at Mania, they do the good old "I don't want to wait, I want my match tonight/at Summerslam/in the UK/whatever!" deal and sell that as "we're getting a Wrestlemania quality main event right here!!"

I can see that. I can see them leaning into the Wrestlemania angle in terms of that’s the ultimate goal for the winner, using it comms to sell tickets and push the show and make it fall more grand.

But for me, the obvious off ramp to have someone NOT got to Mania would be Cody and MSG - following on from Cody’s ‘my daddy was robbed in the garden’ promo.

I’ve just finished Raw now. It was actually a good show. Still far too long, naturally, but there’s a lot of character development and storytelling throughout the show.

Randy Orton seems SO over at the minute.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Winning Money In The Bank has always given you the chance to main event Wrestlemania. It’s up to you whether you take that chance.

I can’t imagine they’re getting rid of the any time, any place gimmick as that’s basically the gimmick. No need for a briefcase if it’s ‘win a match at a set time and place’.

Agreed. I think it's very unlikely that A) they're booking one of the mania main events (on tv) now and B) that they're completely ruining the rumble like that.

• Paid Members

Might be my imagination but I feel slightly like the non-title defeats to champions has calmed down a bit. I wonder if someone has realized for titles to mean something they need to be booked as such?

29 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

No need for a briefcase if it’s ‘win a match at a set time and place’.

Technically there's no need for a briefcase as it is. Or a contract, or any physical token once the ladder match itself has been won. Although it would lose some of the visual effect of "cashing in" when the wrestler surrenders their briefcase to the ref.

Still think they've missed a trick never having Sasha be "Miss Money In The Bank(s)" with a blinged-up case.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Duke said:

Agreed. I think it's very unlikely that A) they're booking one of the mania main events (on tv) now and B) that they're completely ruining the rumble like that.

I want to think your right. Whilst it’s true that you could use it to main event mania, it was always stated you could cash your title shot anytime anywhere. The emphasis on both will win a Wrestlemania Main Event rather then a title shot cash in is a very weird change to that narrative they have never done before.

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I want to think your right. Whilst it’s true that you could use it to main event mania, it was always stated you could cash your title shot anytime anywhere. The emphasis on both will win a Wrestlemania Main Event rather then a title shot cash in is a very weird change to that narrative they have never done before.

I honestly think it’s simply because they’ve been very ambitious and booked the Allegiant Stadium, and are hoping the grandeur carries them home.

If they were actively changing the gimmick that much, I think they’d be a lot more explicit about it.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Heres what I think the thought process is:

"We need to beef up MITB"

"Rumble always does well and it's basically the same gimmick"

"Rumble's a mania main event. This is just a shot"

"Well this could be used at Mania, so let's just say that's what it could be for"

"Has anyone ever done that?"

"No"

On a side note, as I mentioned previously - Randy Orton is over as anything right now.

I wonder if they’re laying the foundations for a Riddle turn though - perhaps he learns TOO much from Randy, and becomes the voices guy. 

After that RKO he hit last night, he did the super intense faces for ages before going back to being the smiley guy.

It’d be a nice inversion for it not to be Randy being the heel turncoat, and it lets him carry on his great fun run he’s on.

I’d also look forward to every time Riddle came out as heel…

COMMENTATOR #1 “He’s spent so long with Randy, he’s hearing voices.”

COMMENTATOR #2 “…MAYBE ITS JUST THE WEED!”

• Awards Moderator
55 minutes ago, Duke said:

Heres what I think the thought process is:

"We need to beef up MITB"

"Rumble always does well and it's basically the same gimmick"

"Rumble's a mania main event. This is just a shot"

"Well this could be used at Mania, so let's just say that's what it could be for"

"Has anyone ever done that?"

"No"

Rollins used his MITB at Mania 31, didn't he?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Rollins used his MITB at Mania 31, didn't he?

Yes, but in the middle of the match already happening. He didn't say "I'm using this for the main event at wrestlemania!!!!" And cash in then. The only.person I can think of who did that is Daniel Bryan, but he then used it as a surprise as part of his heel turn.

• Paid Members

Way back when, Mr Anderson declared just after winning it that he was cashing in in the main event of the next year's Wrestlemania. Then he got hurt and they had him lose the briefcase to Edge.

On that score - wonder if they might treat the briefcase as something to be challenged for/defended if they are going to go for the long haul to Mania? That's what New Japan do with their equivalent, isn't it? Perhaps it becomes the de facto top 'title' on Raw?

Edit: of course, at the time he was Mr Kennedy...

Edited by Statto
...Kennedy.

• Paid Members

The one I always looked back on a the missed opportunity to do something different with the briefcase was the first one. Edge, already holding the briefcase, won the Gold Rush tournament to earn a shot at Batista. He got beat, fairly straightforward. What they COULD have done was have Edge, near defeat, grab a chair and go psycho on Batista, getting disqualified in that title shot. Then immediately cash in, and win.