VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

1 hour ago, FLips said:

from bits I hear about it these days

To be fair most of the talk these days is from disgruntled right wingers who were too thick to realise the previous three seasons were taking the piss out of them and now they're crying that the show is suddenly shit.

I personally find it's a bit of a guilty pleasure, as much as it wants to be anti-cape shit it's still cape shit but half decent at it unlike Marvel and DC's current output.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Echoing the reserved appreciation for The Boys. On paper it shouldn't work, and the latest series is wearing a bit thin, but I still enjoy it as a daft, occasionally very gruesome comedy. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Is there another hollywood star with a worse filmography?

Probably not. And I can't think of another A-lister who has so few genuine hits to his name either. He's the shits!

The only film I've enjoyed him in is Adventureland. Playing characters that are sleazy, unlikeable and disingenuous came very natural to him.

Ryan Reynolds has certainly got that 'go away' heat just by being so ubiquitous these days. He also comes across as very tryhard while trying to promote himself as the Hollywood nice guy. 

Probably my favourite thing he's been in was Mississippi Grind, which I feel like hardly anybody saw but is really good. 

Anyway, I watched Pearl last night and really enjoyed it. They nailed the look and tone they were going for and Mia Goth was outstanding in the title role. Really looking forward to MaXXXine at the cinema tonight!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

To be fair most of the talk these days is from disgruntled right wingers who were too thick to realise the previous three seasons were taking the piss out of them and now they're crying that the show is suddenly shit.

I personally find it's a bit of a guilty pleasure, as much as it wants to be anti-cape shit it's still cape shit but half decent at it unlike Marvel and DC's current output.

Oh no it has nothing to do with the right wing stuff. I just mean from bits I hear about the things that happen on the show as a whole I think it sounds daft and not something I’d enjoy at all, as I didn’t from the beginning in the first place. Sounds offensively gross for the sake of it half the time I see/hear about it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Jaws

Still absolutely fantastic. Almost flawless. First time I've rewatched it in 20 years, and long overdue.

I've got that, along with Casablanca, The Exorcist and Die Hard as pretty much perfect movies, in terms of doing what they do so well. 

Every Frame A Painting talked about the Spielberg Oner, and how he avoids showy directorial flourishes in favour of storytelling at times. 

Oh yeah it's full on edgelord territory, the original comic was even worse with that stuff. I'm a bit of a sucker for that era of comic, left leaning but also still horribly offensive..

Watched Watcher just now, going on a bit of a Maika binge after Longlegs and seeing her Insta... a really good directorial debut and hits that creepy Eastern European spot I like so much.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Watched Watcher just now, going on a bit of a Maika binge after Longlegs and seeing her Insta... a really good directorial debut and hits that creepy Eastern European spot I like so much.

Try and catch Villains and Hot Summer Nights too, they were both really solid.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Jaws

Still absolutely fantastic. Almost flawless. First time I've rewatched it in 20 years, and long overdue.

I’ve been fortunate to see it fairly recently at the cinema (once with Onyx2 and once more with the 3D re-release) and even got to watch it at home with my daughter for the first time. Those, with a theatre visit to see The Shark is Broken and I’ve had been through a bit of a Jaws period over the last 5 years. It really is a pretty perfect film.

• Paid Members

As I don’t want to pollute  the Jaws post, I just come back from a 4DX screening of Twisters (because it seemed the perfect movie for it, and it was). Dumb summer blockbusters that felt like it was from the 90’s with great Glen Powell and Daisy Edgar Jones performances. Felt it was better than the first in lots of ways (having just rewatched a few days ago). More of this please Hollywood.

Went to see MaXXXine last night and really, really enjoyed it. Probably my favourite of the X trilogy, to be honest, as I've always loved that seedy 80s milieu. The cinema was very quiet (myself and two more) and they gave me the poster afterwards, so that was a nice bonus. 

Another great central performance by Mia Goth, cracking soundtrack and some tremendous visuals are just a few of the things it had going for it. I also like how it tips its hat to films from that era (most notably De Palma's Body Double) that must have served as inspiration without simply being derivative. 

I think Ti West might be done with this series, but I'd be happy to see him continue with it and I can see myself revisiting the trilogy down the line.