VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

There aren't many films I've seen twice in the cinema but you can add Hocus Pocus to that short list, albeit 30 years apart. 

We saw it the last two years at the cinema, it's really good. Love the creature design and the dialogue and also Sarah Jessica Parker for the only time ever for both performance and aesthetic reasons.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

We saw it the last two years at the cinema, it's really good. Love the creature design and the dialogue and also Sarah Jessica Parker for the only time ever for both performance and aesthetic reasons.

Well Done Reaction GIF

• Paid Members

The Killer (cinema)

I admit that I only *really* like David Fincher when he makes films that are specifically aimed at me, but The Killer is still the best film he's made since Se7en. Parallels to The Driver and Point Blank, a nice streak of black humour and a particularly brilliant first half an hour or so. Just had such a good time with this.

Doctor Sleep

Finally got round to rewatching this following the obligatory Halloween rewatch of The Shining. It's not quite as good as I remembered but still very much so, and it's impressive how Flanagan seamlessly moves between the new story and characters and its predecessor. Also, Rebecca Ferguson in a hat.

Prince of Darkness

I've decided this is the scariest film ever made and John Carpenter's best film. No notes.

Totally Killer (Prime)

As noted by @SuperBacon, a really enjoyable couple of hours. Not enough slashing for my liking but it's charming and funny and the cast are all good. Can't resist a good time travel / timeloop film, me.

Smile

This is just really shite. Derivative of Ring and It Follows while completely failing to realise that those films were creepy by using their concepts smartly and not by using a couple of dozen jump scares.

Beetlejuice (cinema)

Somebody on Letterboxd noted that if Tim Burton had made this 10 years later than Johnny Depp would have played Beetlejuice and it would have been awful. As it is, still a gem and very funny and Michael Keaton's performance will never not be hilarious.

I also lost my mind and watched all the Freddy films this weekend. The first one is obviously the best, but 3 runs it close. 2 and 5 are pretty good, too. New Nightmare is good but not as good as everyone says. 4 and Freddy's Dead are awful. The remake was shit. Freddy vs Jason obviously a good laugh.

• Paid Members

Beetlejuice was showing at my cinema as a Halloween treat. It's such a wonderful and unique film, been one of my absolute faves since I was a kid and left a huge impression on me. Was great seeing it on the big screen, the score sounded incredible. Tim Burton was magic for the first decade of his career. Hope the sequel recaptures the magic ?. Another thing about beetlejuice is I think it would be a kids film if it came out now unfortunately.

• Paid Members

After I got back from beetlejuice I watched 

The Babysitter and The Babysitter: Killer Queen

I loved these! Can't believe they passed me by all this time. The first one was a really fun wild twist on a classic horror film but the sequel was absolute insanity, I had no idea where it was going at any point but I was loving the ride. (As opposed to something like happy death day 2 where the sequel went crazy and I wasn't feeling it at all). I could see people hating the sequel as it went so off the rails, but watching it at 3am straight after the other one it was great.

The main guy was a kid in the first one and a late teen in the second and they really lucked out because anything could have happened to that actor in the interim but he became a really appealing young lead. 

I always thought Robbie Amell was the most useless actor in existence but he was great in this so I take it back and apologise publicly. 

Ken Marino is in it which was a wonderful surprise as he gives me pure joy every time I see him on screen. 

Also I've never seen Bella Thorne in anything before, fucking hell.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

After I got back from beetlejuice I watched 

The Babysitter and The Babysitter: Killer Queen

I loved these! Can't believe they passed me by all this time. The first one was a really fun wild twist on a classic horror film but the sequel was absolute insanity, I had no idea where it was going at any point but I was loving the ride. (As opposed to something like happy death day 2 where the sequel went crazy and I wasn't feeling it at all). I could see people hating the sequel as it went so off the rails, but watching it at 3am straight after the other one it was great.

The main guy was a kid in the first one and a late teen in the second and they really lucked out because anything could have happened to that actor in the interim but he became a really appealing young lead. 

I always thought Robbie Amell was the most useless actor in existence but he was great in this so I take it back and apologise publicly. 

Ken Marino is in it which was a wonderful surprise as he gives me pure joy every time I see him on screen. 

Also I've never seen Bella Thorne in anything before, fucking hell.

I liked these too, the first one a bit more. They're practically miracles considering they were made by McG.

• Paid Members

Leo (2023)

A couple of weeks ago my wife and daughter went to Odeon to watch Eras Tour and I went next door to experience some Tamil cinema on the big screen for the first time.

I was the only white guy in a pretty packed screen and I think I had the most fun!

The film opens with our hero catching a rabid hyena in a beautiful northern India. He takes the hyena home and goes back to work at his coffee shop. Then, after various dramatic twist and turns, he has to kill a load of people to save his family. The highlight was when the hyena (who hadn’t been seen for 2 hours) comes out to help at the end and the cinema erupted! The only time I’ve experienced that before was when Captain America grabbed Thor’s hammer in Avengers. I don’t think this is one of the best Tamil films ever so I imagine the vibe on a really great film must be incredible at the cinema.

The other thing I noticed is where they spent money seemed strange. There was a scene of a child’s sport day, that must have had over a hundred extras and taken ages to set everything up. The scene lasted maybe 10 seconds out of 2hrs 45 mins. Yet a fairly basic car crash which was integral to the plot was completely CGI.

It was also cut to pieces which was strange, must be a rating thing. The hero would be pointing a gun at a bad guy and then CUT and there’s a dead guy on the floor with our hero moving on to the next jabroni.

And there was an interval!

So yeah, fun film with a great atmosphere. I think all films should have an inexplicably big and over the top dance scene just for the craic. Highly recommended ??

Edited by waters44

• Paid Members
On 10/31/2023 at 1:53 PM, Rule One said:

SCREAM 6 - Oh boy was this bad. A worn out cliche ridden mess again punctuated by no-one new being likeable. I'm hoping they leave the series alone for a long time now.

There was a Scream 5?

Wait. There was Scream 4?

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

There was Scream 4?

My memory of seeing this was that it was as shit as the rest of them and bumping into Bez getting a parking ticket outside the cinema afterwards.

• Paid Members

It is such an annoyingly numbered franchise:

Scream

Scream 2

Scream 3

Scream 4

Scream (?!?!)

Scream VI (why the sudden switch to Roman numerals?)

Saying that, I thought VI was a lot of fun although that may be because Dermot Mulroney has that 'okay, I'm in safe hands now' feeling where he just perks up any project he's involved in. See also Shea Whigham.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

My memory of seeing this was that it was as shit as the rest of them and bumping into Bez getting a parking ticket outside the cinema afterwards.

Ha! I remember serving him in the bank once at Piccadilly. He was wearing cycle shorts and a comically oversized hoodie, making him look a bit triangular, and as he stood to leave he caught his foot on the chair and took a small tumble causing the contents of his pockets to empty - just Rizla, one 20p coin and some fluff. Another time, he came in just after a new Happy Mondays tour was announced. I asked him "I see you're touring again" and he stared blankly at me and said "Are we??" I said I'd read there was a tour forthcoming and he shrugged and said "You'll have to ask Shaun about that, mate." Of course, I've got Shaun Ryder on speed dial, of course I have. Have a lovely afternoon, Mr Berry.

Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

@Lorne MalvoDid you ever play Castlevania?

Edited by air_raid