VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Members

Old Dads

I don't think I've ever seen Bill Burr do stand up, but if his directorial debut is anything to go by, he must be the shittest stand up of all time.

This was dreadful. Just proper "old man yells at clouds" for 100 minutes, and an excuse to be lazy about, well everything. 

I never ever turn off films as I'm no quitter, but my god I was close. 

I imagine people that get a kick out of vegan jokes will enjoy this, and if you do enjoy this, I will judge you.

It gets a mark as it has Bokeem Woodbine and the Mum from the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid films, and Bill's wife is quite fit.

This is a warning. You have been warned. The worst film I've seen this year, and I watched Zoolander 2.

1/10 

• Paid Members

Finally saw Matrix Resurrections. Really enjoyed it, as a fan of the original stuff (though flawed, especially towards the end).

Was dreading the magical explanation as to how certain characters were (ahem) resurrected, but actually I was OK with it. Equally the explanation for recasting Morpheous. My reaction to how meta it was in regards to the original trilogy was varied, about 75% "that's pretty cool/clever" and 25% "that's far too tongue in cheek." Simulatte, I loved.

Overall, I was really happy with it. Sad to read that due to lack of takings there probably won't be more.

I have a question for anyone who has seen Killers of the Flower Moon. 

How much of the film is in a non-English language? My most local cinema will be showing a version with Czech subtitles and, while I reckon I would be able to read/understand some of it, I don't want to miss half the plot. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I have a question for anyone who has seen Killers of the Flower Moon. 

How much of the film is in a non-English language? My most local cinema will be showing a version with Czech subtitles and, while I reckon I would be able to read/understand some of it, I don't want to miss half the plot. 

I don't remember there being loads, but I think at least one key scene had subtitles.

On 10/22/2023 at 6:35 PM, SuperBacon said:

Old Dads

I don't think I've ever seen Bill Burr do stand up, but if his directorial debut is anything to go by, he must be the shittest stand up of all time.

This was dreadful. Just proper "old man yells at clouds" for 100 minutes, and an excuse to be lazy about, well everything. 

I never ever turn off films as I'm no quitter, but my god I was close. 

I imagine people that get a kick out of vegan jokes will enjoy this, and if you do enjoy this, I will judge you.

It gets a mark as it has Bokeem Woodbine and the Mum from the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid films, and Bill's wife is quite fit.

This is a warning. You have been warned. The worst film I've seen this year, and I watched Zoolander 2.

1/10 

Gotta mark it up for Bobby Cannavale on coke too.

His stand up is exactly what the humour in the film is. That’s what fucks the film up most, he’s basically doing something between his stand up routines and some kind of weird take on Curb Your Enthusiasm apart from Larry is often right whilst Bill Burr’s character is just a Twitter dad kicking off about things that are different to when he was young. The whole thing is written as what an old man imagines young people are like.

There’s even a “Ok Boomer” line ffs.

• Paid Members

Talk to Me (Netflix)

Outstanding take on the well-worn 'spirit world invades our own' story. A couple of YouTubers just made one of the most exciting horror films of the last decade. They've got a prequel and sequel on the way and I can't wait. Amazing sound design on this, too.

Sick (2022)

It's awesome that Peter Hyams' son is now making films just as good as his were. Excellent slasher set during the height of Covid that weaves that element into the plot really smartly. All over in 78 minutes, too. Terrific.

Evil Dead Rise (Netflix)

Nah. I much prefer my Evil Dead films to be funny. Nothing here I haven't seen before, just as pointless as the Evil Dead remake from a few years ago. Really disappointing to see Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell driving the series this way.

Hellbender (Shudder)

Extremely cool folk horror that a family shot and performed in around their home and surrounding areas during Covid lockdown. Really inventive with its effects to cover the minute budget and the mother/daughter relationship was extremely well written. They also did their own music, and even that's quite good!

The Witches of Eastwick (BBC iPlayer)

Not sure there's all that much here but I was impressed by how disgusting this was at times. Very enjoyable just to watch Jack Nicholson and the girls running rings round one another. George Miller has had the weirdest career.

The Mist

Just would like to confirm that it's still one of the worst endings in cinema history. Otherwise, really good!

Altered States

Just as mental as I'd remembered. William Hurt really threw himself into this role, but I'd forgotten Renko from Hill Street Blues is in support, too, and really funny. Ken Russell's second best film.

Fright Night Part 2 (YouTube)

I still think this is every bit as good as the original and I'm not sure why it's still regarded as a fair bit inferior. It's just not. I'd probably slightly prefer it if the ending had been slightly stronger but it's still superb. Cracking Brad Fiedel soundtrack again, too.

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

Still the smartest take on the horror anthology ever made. Even better than I remembered it, every bit of it looks awesome and atmospheric and the payoffs are all right on the money. Love this film.

Hospital Massacre (YouTube)

Maybe not the most sensitive time to watch a film with this title :( Even so, one of the weirdest and most enjoyable slashers I've watched for ages, just fucking nuts.

Valentine (2001)

From the same guy who did Urban Legend, which is another good and underrated slasher. This isn't quite as well made but the ending is a blinder and the murders are outstanding. Opening scene is a memorable one as well.

We watched Trick ‘r Treat the other day and thought it was pretty terrible. Visually looked decent but the story’s were dull and they obviously just went for the Tarantino style jumbled timeline to try and rescue it.

Terrifier 2 seemed really convoluted too.  They obviously struck gold with Art, and his character/mannerisms are what really make it worthwhile.  Why they felt the need to add all of the side story and the supernatural side of things is baffling.  Could have cut at least an hour off it and improved it drastically.

• Paid Members

Suitable Flesh This is an erotic horror film starring Heather Graham.

No amount of critiquing would have stopped me from watching it after hearing that premise, but it is terrible and has an awful ending. Was nice seeing Heather though, I always thought she was great and she's never in anything.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Suitable Flesh This is an erotic horror film starring Heather Graham.

No amount of critiquing would have stopped me from watching it after hearing that premise, but it is terrible and has an awful ending. Was nice seeing Heather though, I always thought she was great and she's never in anything.

Yeah, Joe Lynch is ok but this sounds awful. He'll never make anything better than Mayhem.