VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Funny in a thread currently discussing  the shift to digital (in this context, away from cinema) that there should be an allusion to Kodak who in the 1970s had their own employees telling them that the future of photography was digital rather than physical, and told said employees “Shhhh” ending up bankrupt as a consequence.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Kids these days wouldn’t know a codec if it bit them on the balls.

Having to download some russian codec that was riddled with malware just to watch the grainy footage of Sally Fletcher from Home and Away's sex tape put hair on your chest (and palms).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, neil said:

Having to download some russian codec that was riddled with malware just to watch the grainy footage of Sally Fletcher from Home and Away's sex tape put hair on your chest (and palms).

Leave - Downloading it on WinAmp / Remain - Watching it on RobbsCelebs

• Paid Members

The Matrix Resurrections - Someone told me it was like watching Kevin Smith reboot The Matrix. That’s an insult to Kevin Smith.   Boring, nonsensical and looks cheap.  Waste of 2 hours. Should have just watched Speed Racer again. At least that has Roger Allam in it.

• Paid Members

I didn't mind the new Matrix. I had basically no expectations going in and wasn't expecting to like any of it, nor do I have any precious nostalgic feelings to the original (though I do love it). With modern film making the way it is I expected a massive pile of shit...I was surprised that it wasn't completely terrible. I really enjoyed the unsubtle open hatred that Lana Wachowski clearly has for reboots and unnecessary sequels and that she basically dedicated the first half of this movie to. Like almost all major movies these days the film looked like shit, had bad CG and terrible music. I just don't understand why most big films made now look so much worse than films made in the 90s? What is the reason? This was highlighted by the constant flashbacks to the originals which look like proper movies you should see in the cinema while this one looks like a made-for-streaming TV movie. The fights in it were all very bad too and felt like instead of hiring masters of martial arts cinema like in the originals to choreograph them went for whatever generic American stunt team were available at the time for the least amount of money. Saying all that, it was a breezy film with a sense of fun about it and I like watching Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss, Jessica Henwick was good too - she will be a big star. It was by no means a good film but perfectly acceptable way to spend a few hours.

Switched to digital, got a fascination with natural light, and decided to handheld cam all her own action. The original had Yuen Woo-ping doing the fight choreography and Bill Pope's cinematography elevating it. 

• Moderators
On 12/27/2021 at 8:24 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

Moana is definitely the best of the three, but I’ve had probably four or five Encanto songs cycling in and out of my head since we saw it last month, so definitely found them catchy. Frozen, however - I can remember Let It Go but I knew that one before I saw it. I couldn’t tell you any other songs from it or hum any of the tunes.

(I am a Lin-Manuel Miranda fan though so may be more predisposed)

Having now watched them all again and been subjected to the soundtracks every meal time and car ride, I felt like coming back and clarifying on my original point. The songs in Moana and Encanto are good songs. They're well composed, are written well in the voice of their characters, and drive the narrative clearly. They do everything a song in a musical should do very well.

But, "you're welcome" aside, not one of them is simple enough for a kid to learn the lyrics and sing along to which is why they fail the test of being good Disney movie songs for me.

For context and reference, my feelings on LMM are that he's an excellent writer, and a terrible singer/rapper/actor.

• Paid Members

The Lost Daughter (Netflix)

A nice and miserable way to kick off the New Year. Colman, Buckley and Johnson all predictably excellent and the approach to thoughts on parenting was a really interesting one. Just lacking a bit of subtlety for me and too many films use this flashback device now. Promising debut from Maggie Gyllenhaal though.

Clifford the Big Red Dog (cinema)

Not quite as awful as I was expecting and intriguingly anti-capitalist for a kids' film but, y'know, you still have to put up with Jack Whitehall for an hour and a half and you only get Kenan Thompson for about 10 minutes. Not on, that.

A Fish Called Wanda

Kevin Kline's performance in this is one of the greatest comedy performances in history, without question. Still absolutely hilarious.

Spaceballs (Prime)

I'd always avoided this as I assumed it was one of Mel Brooks' crappier ones and it is. Lots of really obvious jokes but god bless Rick Moranis and Jo from Melrose Place for different reasons.

Into the Night

Can see why this didn't do much business in the 80s, as it's not quite a comedy and not quite a romance either. It's an odd little thing with tons of weird cameos and David Bowie as a psychopath. But I still bloody love it and it's a quality companion to Scorsese's After Hours. Nobody has arguably ever looked better on screen than Michelle Pfeiffer in this either, closely followed by Michelle Pfeiffer in Married to the Mob and Michelle Pfeiffer in Tequila Sunrise.

Throw Momma from the Train

Hitchcock riffs and spoofs are notoriously hit-and-miss but this is almost all hit. The darker moments work well because everyone is so horrible and the physical comedy is perfectly done. Danny DeVito is a *great* director.

Three O'Clock High

One of the less lauded 80s high school comedies but it shouldn't be. A really funny and odd redo of High Noon, I really should have watched this more than twice by now.

Crocodile Dundee

Nah, it's shit. Actually, the Outback stuff is alright but once it gets to New York it's just the usual culture clash bollocks as well as being horribly sexist and transphobic. Amazing to remember how huge this film was when it was released though.

Better Off Dead

Much like Three O'Clock High, this should be better known that it is and it's even weirder. In fact, really fucking weird, stuff like Curtis Armstrong snorting snow and what-have-you. I love it.

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Crocodile Dundee

Nah, it's shit. Actually, the Outback stuff is alright but once it gets to New York it's just the usual culture clash bollocks as well as being horribly sexist and transphobic. Amazing to remember how huge this film was when it was released though.

Watched this for the first time last week and these are my feelings exactly! I did quite like the final scene as well, on the train platform, but the New York stuff was all awful. Was it well regarded at the time as well as being popular?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Watched this for the first time last week and these are my feelings exactly! I did quite like the final scene as well, on the train platform, but the New York stuff was all awful. Was it well regarded at the time as well as being popular?

Yeah, it was well received on the whole. No idea how it's regarded today outside of its questionable aspects though.