VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Factotum said:

It hasn't. A combination of Spider-man, the fact it's available on HBO Max in the US and plus I don't think people care that much about THE MATRIX anymore. WB's HBO Max release day/date really has been a terrible failure, DUNE aside. 

Kong vs Godzilla did $99m, Dune did $93m. Kong was still in high pandemic times, Dune wasn’t. They have been the biggest WB films this year, both not in the Donestic (US) top 10. The HBO max experiment has been a big bust at the cinema. Will be interested to see how HBO Max subscriptions have done. They have announced The Batman will be on HBO Max 45 days after it’s cinema release.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Let Me Stop You Right There GIFs | Tenor

Things were getting moved from theatres to show more of Spider-man, its just a fact. Nothing wrong with that, they need to earn money, but if you're in the US and you can watch a Matrix film at home, you're going to rather than go out and watch it

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Kong vs Godzilla did $99m, Dune did $93m. Kong was still in high pandemic times, Dune wasn’t. They have been the biggest WB films this year, both not in the Donestic (US) top 10. The HBO max experiment has been a big bust at the cinema. Will be interested to see how HBO Max subscriptions have done. They have announced The Batman will be on HBO Max 45 days after it’s cinema release.

DUNE did what they wanted it to do. Critically loved and did fair enough box office to get the sequel out which will do great guns. WB is currently run by a bunch of idiots. It has such a chance to be 'the filmmakers' home yet it cannot get its shit together.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Factotum said:

DUNE did what they wanted it to do. Critically loved and did fair enough box office to get the sequel out which will do great guns. WB is currently run by a bunch of idiots. It has such a chance to be 'the filmmakers' home yet it cannot get its shit together.

The golden rule is that A film needs to get 3x it’s production budget to be financially successful. It failed there. Had it not been for the pandemic a sequel probably wouldn’t have happened. I just looked and 1.9 million streamed it on HBO Max. That probably tipped the scales there for the decision. And though I’ve still not seen it, I’m pleased because there is nothing worse then setting it up for a part 2 and it never appearing.

But I agree, Warner are a dumpster fire what with the whole Potterverse flopping and them failing against Marvel, plus pissing off Nolan enough for him to go, though it’s probably good for all parties that one. be interesting if this merger with Discovery will sort them out.

My handle on the business of film is worse than most - and I'm not saying same day streaming is a wonderful thing - but I do find it surprising how so much of the box office discourse I see just seems to hold HBO Max on par with pirating. A free shot, if you will. It's not like that deal was brokered solely on good vibez and magic beans. It cost a lot of money, because a lot of films with a perceived worth were promised. 

And again - guy who is shit with films here - of all the big boys it really seems like Warner are the most eager to 1999 it up all the time and green light some interesting shit. It's a shame they've had such a dumpster fire of a year. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

In theory, day and date streaming at home is a good option. Independent films have been doing it for years, but obviously big Film were worried about the hit on the Box Office. Pandemic obviously changed that. But whether you charge a rental price, or whack it on your streaming service for free for the first 30 days, once it’s hit streaming, it’s pirated. Until they can curb that, I can’t see the model really changing. 

Are as many people pirating these days?

It feels like I'm always meeting someone who lives online yet doesn't know the first thing about downloading a film and can barely stream a rip from soap2day or wherever. It's like the young generation is internet savvy yet not really at all.

18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's a lot of hassle now that legal streaming and downloading services are so available. Back when we all started pirating it was addressing a massive gap in how we wanted to consume media compared to how it was being distributed.

For me, at least as far as I can remember, it was mostly TV shows and the gap between US and UK airings. Avoiding spoilers for stuff like Lost was a nightmare. So it was various websites,  torrents and peer to peer stuff that made it possible to download those things. Or even shows that simply didn't get UK airings.

Films were always a lot more difficult, especially in the Kazaa and similar era. You just didn't know what you'd actually be downloaded. Even if you were careful and went by expected file sizes etc, the labelling was always incredibly hit and miss.

Thankfully over the years all that shit has been sorted out. For some of the most popular shows we'll get 2am airings on the same day as America. Between Sky and all of the various streaming services we've got, there aren't too many shows we don't get here. As for films, obviously that whole world has changed with the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

It feels like I'm always meeting someone who lives online yet doesn't know the first thing about downloading a film and can barely stream a rip from soap2day or wherever. It's like the young generation is internet savvy yet not really at all.

Me personally, I just find a dodgy streaming site on my phone close the millions of pop ups, then stream from phone to tv at a really great quality. I know loads of older fellas who pay subs to iptv or whatever to have the faff cut out and none of them are savvy. Seems like pirating is bigger than ever. Yet I still have a Netflix, Prime and occasional Now TV sub for convenience.

As for big screen box office vs home box office who the hell knows how to work out what makes a film profitable. It’s hard to put a price on that sweet sweet content that will be on their streaming service for years, it’s not just about bums on seats anymore.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's a lot of hassle now that legal streaming and downloading services are so available. Back when we all started pirating it was addressing a massive gap in how we wanted to consume media compared to how it was being distributed.

Available, but increasingly expensive. When it was basically Netflix plus Amazon, that was one thing. But now, there's Amazon, Netflix, Peacock, Disney, Hulu, Star, Paramount (or whatever the new Trek is on), etc. I subscribe to the ones I want to see and skip plenty as a result. And I don't hold with pirating - but I totally get why people are beginning to do so more now. That many different subscriptions is becoming closer to all the satellite subscriptions, DVD boxsets (at HMV prices) etc costs. It was one thing when it was cheaper, but it's all becoming more expensive.

As I said, my to-watch list is too long as it is, so I don't go for pirating. I get why people do.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Merzbow said:

IPTV And Plex have grown massively. I know a friend who had a Plex service, when a digital copy came out it would be available to stream and you can set bots up to get the files as soon as they are live. So you could be watching Dune in 4K within hours of it going live on HBO Max as an example. So it’s still a big deal and even easier if you have a service like Plex then the old pirate bay days. AND in better quality.