VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Haven't been keeping up with new releases the past few months, due to me suffering one illness after another. Finally on the up so I'm trying to catch up! A local cinema was showing The Zone Of Interest and Priscilla so maanaged to get to both of those this week.

The Zone Of Interest - Unfortunately, it just didn't work for me at all. I appreciated what it was going for but I just couldn't get on with it. Saying that, I didn't 'get' Under The Skin the first time I watched it and now I think its a masterpiece, so I reckon my opinion could change on this with future rewatches.

Baghead - A quite shit and boring horror film about an evil being living in the basement of a pub who can bring back loved ones... at a price! All the performances and dialogue are pitched at a CBBC-esque level and it drags even at 90 minutes.

Priscilla - I liked it. Cailee Spaeny is terrific and Jacob Elordi's performance of Elvis veers into parody at some points but is really good for the most part. It did feel weirdly 'surface-level' at times but I enjoyed it overall. Sofia Coppola has quietly built up a strong filmography with hardly any duds.

I also caught the re-release of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace on the big screen. I've changed my mind on it a few times over the years, but I'm now firmly in the 'actually it's really shit' camp. Darth Maul looks cool and the pod-racer scene is a highlight (I'd be up for a movie/TV show that focuses on pod-racing) but everything else is pretty bad. The Jedi are a massive bunch of boring twats.

Hoping to get to Furiosa tomorrow!

You know me, I'll watch any old shit, but I refuse to ever include Episodes I-III in any rewatches as they're absolutely dreadful and life is too short.

The only good thing to come out of those prequels is the fight and the Duel Of The Fates song which Spurs use as their walk on music. Cheesy but sounds wicked pre-game.

Incredible scene and score, I'll give it that.

Actually some of the TPM tie in merch was great too.

Lucas was only recently saying the reason people didn't like them was because they were for kids, how many kids could sit through the age of awful wooden political dialogue in Attack of the Clones?

I watched Memento for the first time last night and while definitely not the masterpiece that Nolan fans claim it to be it's the most fun I've had watching one of his films so far, relatively clever but still pulpy as hell. It's a shame he went full pretentious later on as there's something here.

11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Lucas was only recently saying the reason people didn't like them was because they were for kids, how many kids could sit through the age of awful wooden political dialogue in Attack of the Clones?

Yeah it's an odd one isn't it. I totally get the excitement of the Pod Racing or whatever they were trying to do with Jar Jar, but there's definitely some heavy stuff in there that would go right over kids heads.

18 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I watched Memento for the first time last night and while definitely not the masterpiece that Nolan fans claim it to be it's the most fun I've had watching one of his films so far, relatively clever but still pulpy as hell. It's a shame he went full pretentious later on as there's something here.

Definitely recommend Following if you haven't seen that. He was an interesting film maker once.

15 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Rise of the Footsoldier: Vengeance

Chronologically the fourth film. Jamie Foreman returns. British gangster movie regular Geoff Bell is also in this. Basildon Joe returns as do some other faces from the third and fourth films. No Tony Tucker or Craig Rolfe though. 

I do have a soft spot for these movies, although the absence of the 'Honey Monster' from this entry was a definite let down.

15 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Rise of the Footsoldier: Marbella

Hopefully you watched the credits and saw a boxed Rolfey dancing to Ebeneezer Goode as they played.

Posted (edited)

I just watched Time Addicts and it's a great little high concept but low budget Aussie flick and as the lead actress says, it's like a fairytale for cunts. A very fun take on the time travel genre but no complex machines, you travel from smoking or snorting meth.

Edited by Merzbow
snorting, not snoring

5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Definitely recommend Following if you haven't seen that. He was an interesting film maker once.

Clearly he peaked with The Prestige but I still think he’s an interesting films maker. I might not find his films as ingenious as some but I always find value in them on some level. If nothing else he makes spectacular cinema. Apart from Tenet. No polishing that turd.

Anyone see The Wild Angels (1966)? I don't know what I was expecting but that was a crazy picture. A fairly slow burner, and felt quite exploitationy with some scenes dragging on. But man, that crescendo at the funeral scene at the end when the Angels descend into absolute debauchery, that was nuts. You really feel the anarchy of the scene with 3 different musical tracks playing at the same time. So disorientating and dizzying. Draws the viewer into the instant anarchy of the situation. Instant sleazy madness and degeneracy. Its on Youtube if anyone fancies a dirty, rotten, 60s biker sleazefest. 

The Killer (2023) Netflix

Really enjoyed this. It's directed by David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club, Gone Girl) and stars Michael Fassbender as a methodical, idiosyncratic but relatable assassin. It features one of the best fight scenes I've seen in recent years and is a solid 9/10. 

Plot spoiler -

Spoiler

I loved the ending of this film. Rather than a ruthless campaign of vengeance, we learn that he undertook a calculated and pragmatic operation to ensure the safety of himself and his love interest, and to fulfil his pledge that " nothing like this will ever happen again". Really satisfying film, with a pleasing ending. 

15 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

The Killer (2023) Netflix

Really enjoyed this. It's directed by David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club, Gone Girl) and stars Michael Fassbender as a methodical, idiosyncratic but relatable assassin. It features one of the best fight scenes I've seen in recent years and is a solid 9/10. 

Plot spoiler -

Reveal hidden contents

I loved the ending of this film. Rather than a ruthless campaign of vengeance, we learn that he undertook a calculated and pragmatic operation to ensure the safety of himself and his love interest, and to fulfil his pledge that " nothing like this will ever happen again". Really satisfying film, with a pleasing ending. 

Yeah I really enjoyed this. Think I posted on here how one of the things I enjoyed (surprise) was the mundanity of his profession and how it wasn’t all action and car chases like you see in, erm, the movies. 

• Paid Members

The best thing about The Killer, for me, is how you slowly realise that he's actually not very good at his job for the most part. Gives it a lovely darkly comic sheen.