VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Anatomy of a Fall (cinema)

I'm not trying to be inflammatory but this was my worst film of the year. I can in no way whatsoever see what the fuss is about. Just not for me at all. The only thing i can say for it is I thought the actor playing her lawyer friend guy had good screen presence and I'd like to see him in a film that wasn't boring as fuck. That 50 cent cover was louder and more annoying than if you played every scene of trolls 3 at the same time.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The only thing i can say for it is I thought the actor playing her lawyer friend guy had good screen presence and I'd like to see him in a film that wasn't boring as fuck.

I thought By the Grace of God was excellent but it's another long, slow legal drama so maybe I wouldn't recommend seeing him in that.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I'm not trying to be inflammatory but this was my worst film of the year. I can in no way whatsoever see what the fuss is about. Just not for me at all. The only thing i can say for it is I thought the actor playing her lawyer friend guy had good screen presence and I'd like to see him in a film that wasn't boring as fuck. That 50 cent cover was louder and more annoying than if you played every scene of trolls 3 at the same time.

If anything, that makes me like it more. It's not going to work for everyone, and that's fine - and strong opinions are always good. The pacing, etc, is absolutely going to put some people off, and I get that - the lead performance is also so restrained as to be difficult at times. But, for me, there was so much interesting ambiguity and emotional reality in there that it blew me away. 

13 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. I could have spent all afternoon in the company of all of these characters. I’m genuinely excited about watching this at some point with my 9,10 and 11 year old daughters. 5 Super Bacons out of 5.

I really loved watching it with my 14yo the second time I watched it.

I think that and Eighth Grade are the two films we've watched this year where it felt like more than just watching a film together, as it hits home a tiny bit more.

Erm, will probably save our viewing of Aftersun for a bit further into the future.

7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I really loved watching it with my 14yo the second time I watched it.

I think that and Eighth Grade are the two films we've watched this year where it felt like more than just watching a film together, as it hits home a tiny bit more.

Erm, will probably save our viewing of Aftersun for a bit further into the future.

Also, Benny Safdie who plays the dad in it co wrote and stars in Nathan Fielder’s The Curse, even more reason to watch that.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

The Hobbit: Battle of The Five Armies

An exciting and (relatively) short end to the prequel trilogy, and the one I think may just be the best of the three.

The damp cliffhanger ending to Desolation proves to make a great opening for this however it's over in a flash, in a way that makes you think they filmed the Smaug battle in one go then spliced it between both films.
The film then moves at a breakneck pace which is exactly what I think was needed to make up for the lack of big battles in the previous two. They fill this one top to bottom and everyone plays a key part in it which is where the LOTR trilogy was strong too. It finally felt like a fully fledged ensemble.

The dragon sickness on Thorin and his eventual triumph over it to lead the dwarves to a rally is brilliantly done, and the final battle is up there with some of the best of them. We both let out an audible gasp at

Spoiler

Ki'li's death

Was shocked to learn Tauriel was made up for the film because she was one of my favourite characters in the whole thing, but it does explain why she's not in LOTR I guess. The wraparound into Fellowship at the end is a lovely way to intertwine them all.

My final LOTR code is Two Towers, Return of The King, Battle of The Five Armies, Fellowship of The Ring, Unexpected Journey, Desolation of Smaug. Absolutely none of them are bad though so fair play. I have no attention span at all so to be able to sit through six 4-hour films in a couple of weeks is the biggest praise I can give them.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

@FelatioLips Unless I've missed it, you haven't posted your thoughts on Return Of The King and as a completist, now I can't sleep. Well done.

frodo-keep-your-secrets.gif.f025ad8fddefe11c3718d6578551305d.gif

The Lord of The Rings: Return of The King

An absolutely brilliant end to the original trilogy that I think gave everyone a proper send off but that also I don't think matched the Battle of Helm's deep from Two Towers and that alone is what is keeping the Two Towers as my favourite of the three.

That's not to say this one doesn't have an epic final battle, and like I said with the Hobbit's final film, everyone gets a stand out moment. Winners of this one easily go to Merry and Eowyn riding into battle for their friends and taking down the Witch King. As predictable as "I am no Man" was that I said it to my wife as soon as she took her helmet off (Eowyn, not my wife) it was in an excited "really hope she says that then kills him" way, which she then did. Excellent.

It does a great job of showing how Gollum came to be as well and really magnifies how strong Frodo and Bilbo are that people like Smeagol, Boromir and Isildur are so easily corrupted by the ring. Frodo succumbing to the power was plain to see but to make it that far before doing it and having his best mate Sam save him was a great end.
Speaking of Frodo and Sam, I'm not one to "ship" characters usually but Frodo and Sam have an unusually sexual chemistry throughout the whole thing that I was actually surprised when Sam gets married at the end.

Really don't understand the slow motion dream-like sequence of everyone showing up to Frodo's bed. It's insane and I don't understand it.

Best part of the film is probably Denethor (why does he eat cherry tomatoes like that?) being set on fire and then running what looks to be about 1000m to dive off the end of the castle. It made me burst out laughing which I don't think was the aim, but what a death. The film is filled with great moments though like Aragorn's ghost army, Sam being the best friend in the world the whole film, and the lighting of the beacons. Actually on retrospect maybe this is my favourite one.

Edit: Almost forgot the second best death which is Saruman getting impaled on a water wheel and dunked head first like the clown he is.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Speaking of Frodo and Sam, I'm not one to "ship" characters usually but Frodo and Sam have an unusually sexual chemistry throughout the whole thing that I was actually surprised when Sam gets married at the end.

Sam is way more into Frodo in the book from what I remember. His wife is clearly a beard. 

“My friends, you bow to no one” always gets me. My favourite moment from such a great film with some of the best scenes in the trilogy.  

• Awards Moderator

Excellent writeup @FelatioLipsthough your order is wack, man.

If you're so inclined the making of the Hobbit on the boxset is surprisingly honest, with Jackson visibly frustrated throughout (and eventually having a heart attack and losing 6 stone) , McKellen close to a breakdown, and showing Desolation music cues being edited mere hours before the premiere. The whole production was a total nightmare and while nowhere near perfect it's amazing they are vaguely coherent at all. 

Worth watching for the origin of the phrase "jam bags" alone. 

Edited by Onyx2

The Tolkien film code is the chronological order they were made in. From Fellowship to the tv show it’s been slightly diminishing returns. I maintain that the first one is the perfect adventure film and Two Towers is slightly below it but Return was some proper shitty cgi and it took me right out.  I started rewatching them last year with my lad who was 5 at the time and incredibly his little brain stuck with Fellowship through to Towers but he tapped out by night three and was back on Roblox.