WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Far Cry 3 is easily one of my favourite games ever. However every game since then has been pretty much identical gameplay wise with less interesting stories, locations, missions and characters. They are definitely still fun but they've never been able to recapture the magic of Far Cry 3. It just had a certain insanity, feel and atmosphere to it.

Edited by LaGoosh

Yeah, Far Cry 3 was the apex of the series; big but not too big, a compact story and island and a tight story.  As ever, more=/= better with these games.

Plus it had THAT mission where you got to torch the huge fields of weed to a kick arse soundtrack.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

6 is one of the biggest piles of trash I've played over the last few years. I've never seen a game try so hard to stop you staying immersed and just let you actually get on with playing. How can anyone not be infuriated at having to constantly stop mid-shootout, to swap out ammo types? As soon as I sprayed a a half dozen armour piercing rounds into a shit enemy and they laughed it off because their only weakness was (for the love of fuck) shit bullets I was done. Because the 50% of my playing time that I'd spent in menus and at crafting tables beforehand just wasn't enough BS to wade through.

• Paid Members
Just now, CleetusVanDamme said:

6 is one of the biggest piles of trash I've played over the last few years. I've never seen a game try so hard to stop you staying immersed and just let you actually get on with playing. How can anyone not be infuriated at having to constantly stop mid-shootout, to swap out ammo types? As soon as I sprayed a a half dozen armour piercing rounds into a shit enemy and they laughed it off because their only weakness was (for the love of fuck) shit bullets I was done. Because the 50% of my playing time that I'd spent in menus and at crafting tables beforehand just wasn't enough BS to wade through.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it trash but I loved 5 and never bothered to finish 6. There aren't many more boring and overdone tropes in videogames than evil dictators and guerilla revolutions and this was no exception.

10 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Because the 50% of my playing time that I'd spent in menus and at crafting tables beforehand just wasn't enough BS to wade through.

I fucking hate crafting, it’s so boring and one of the worse design ideas to come out in years.  Now every game involves tracking down 20 items to make an item, just so you can then make the item you actually want.

I’m working on a survival crafting game at the moment, they’re so popular with the kids but I find the whole concept tedious.

I blame Minecraft, gamers have gone from being heroes and gun slingers to being  chemists and stock managers.

36 minutes ago, Loki said:

I blame Minecraft, gamers have gone from being heroes and gun slingers to being  chemists and stock managers.

This is absolutely hilarious, given that the first game I ever remember playing was bloody Colin The Cleaner!!! 

Minecraft has been incredible for getting children genuinely interested in games, who they're built, developed etc. I know my 10yo wouldn't have the same interest she does now without it.

Calm down Grandad :)

53 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

So would you recommend giving Far Cry 3 a try and ignoring 6 for now? Does it feel dated in any way, or, on the whole, does it hold up well?

Yeah go for it! I’m obviously in the minority but I thought 4 was equally as good. 

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

So would you recommend giving Far Cry 3 a try and ignoring 6 for now? Does it feel dated in any way, or, on the whole, does it hold up well?

I really disliked 6. I've played pretty much all of them since 2.  I felt 6 is honestly the worst of the series with all the awful rock/paper/scissors ammo type shit Cleetus mentions and the now typical Ubisoft overlong, padded out bloat. It was buggy as well at launch. I gave up on it really disappointed.

3 is still fantastic and probably still my favourite. Play that first then the wonderful Blood Dragon. Far Cry games have their own open world formula so if you bounce off it, you will know if you want to carry on with others or not. Vaas was a fantastic bad guy as well.

4 was ok but I liked the bonkers Far Cry Primal far more from that era. Riding around on sabretooth tigers, chucking flaming axes at fools and using an owl to rain down bees and fire on cavemen. It was a lot of fun.

Far Cry 5 was strong too. If perhaps over long. Far Cry New Dawn was rubbish though and after that and 6 I'm abit worried about the series now. 

9 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

4 was ok but I liked the bonkers Far Cry Primal far more from that era. Riding around on sabretooth tigers, chucking flaming axes at fools and using an owl to rain down bees and fire on cavemen. It was a lot of fun.

I'd always intended to try out Primal, but I never did for whatever reason. You make it sound great though, so I probably wil. Cheers, @Cousin Jim Bob! 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Yeah why not. You can probably either get it for free or less than a fiver. I imagine the core gameplay mechanics might feel a bit dated but the exploration, unpredictability and craziness should still work.  Primal is a fun departure and probably worth playing too.

4 and 5 are pretty fun but you definitely just feel like you're playing inferior versions of 3 the whole time. If you're going to try the series you'll know within an hour or two of playing 3 whether the series is for you.

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah why not. You can probably either get it for free or less than a fiver.

The Steam Christmas sale launches today, so I'd have to imagine there's a good chance of picking it up for a couple of quid. I'd completely missed that Michael Mando played the villain in FC3, so that in itself is a big selling point to me. 

16 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The Steam Christmas sale launches today, so I'd have to imagine there's a good chance of picking it up for a couple of quid. I'd completely missed that Michael Mando played the villain in FC3, so that in itself is a big selling point to me. 

It’s £6.24 on the PS Store, or included for free on PS Plus if you have it. But I’m not sure if that’s to download or stream.