WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

17 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Completely forgot about 16. 

There was some sort of action game spin off of the first game released recently wasn't there? 

Yeah Stranger Of Paradise, I played the demo and didn’t think it was great, reviews aren’t so good either.

It was made by Team Ninja and Koei

Edited by TildeGuy~!

On 5/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, The King Of Swing said:

Just restarted FFXV and quickly remembered that I simply can't stand Noctis. 

Easily a top contender for worst JRPG protagonist ever.

Future king yet pretty much free to do as he likes with the biggest inconvenience to his life (before shit hits the fan of course) being treated either as a local celebrity or with complete indifference. 

I didn't mind him, but the idea of him being the future king, and not being recognised by so many people in that world is a bit ridiculous. But hey, it's Final Fantasy. After replaying Final Fantasy IX, I actually found Zidane far worse. Not only is he sexist, he sexually harasses Dagger throughout the game, and at one point sexually assaults her by grabbing her backside without consent. Vaan in Final Fantasy XII was also a shitty protagonist in that he has no obvious personality. I don't know why they didn't go with Balthier as the lead in that one, Vaan often feels like a side-character. 

• Paid Members

Played through the first hour of Mayhem Brawler last night. Streamed it as well, but no bugger turned up. It was a bit last minute. 

Anyway, the game is fine. The controls are typical beat em up fare: punch jump, special, weapons. It has a block button. There's an "average" character, who has more than a little inspiration from Wolverine, a powerful character who does the wrestling, and then a fast, magic user character who is a girl. There's also an unlockable glass hammer type character. 

It has a little magic system where you can build meter to do your specials, like in Streets Of Rage 3. Some of the move priority and hitboxes feel a bit odd, like one of the enemies has a crouching attack that can hit while you're in the air. There are some branching paths during the story. The cuts ene will lead to a choice of two levels to do next. There are three endings, apparently.

It features some nice little nods to other games and fantasy franchises and an interesting commentary on policing as well.

The between level cutscenes are presented as comic panels, but fully voiced. Then there's a little social media feed that filled out as well, and you can read through before you start the next level. You also get a little in game cuts ene before you fight each level boss. 

It's got a fair challenge to it. I've died once on normal difficulty, but it's because I wasn't paying attention during the boss fight. 

If it's in sale and you want to play a best em up it's worth a look. I'll probably play a bit more on stream next weekend. 

• Paid Members

And that's why you should be careful around Manchester Oxford Road Station after dark.

Apparently the next Witcher is using UE5, seems like Cyberpunk bruised their ego and they've realized modern AAA engines are a little above them and they probably shouldn't make their own again.

CDPR have been losing money recently too, GOG hadn't been making a profit after they experimented with selling big current games.

Edited by Merzbow

Been talk of it for a while. I believe FIFA wanted more control of the monetisation within the game and EA obviously make a shit load from FUT and didn’t fancy shelling out loads of money for the FIFA brand without the cash cow of FUT.

• Paid Members

It won't make any difference, because they still have the licence for all the club teams, and that's what makes them the money on UT. I think FIFA only affects international tournaments and stuff, and that's not ever a big part of FIFA. 

• Paid Members

EA Sports FC is an awful name, don't like the use of the developer/publisher name in the title, but seeing as this will mean a big revenue loss for FIFA then I'm all for it. 

FIFA are supposedly going to make their own game. Good luck. If Konami managed to break their game, I can't see much hope for whoever FIFA use. 

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

It won't make any difference, because they still have the licence for all the club teams, and that's what makes them the money on UT. I think FIFA only affects international tournaments and stuff, and that's not ever a big part of FIFA. 

Yeah this was brought up on the episode of Bombcast they were talking about it. It’s not surprising that FIFA are so arrogant that they think they can charge more money and cut in to the in game currency more for their brand that has been covered in corruption and bad publicity theses last few years.

Surely a team up with 2K is on the cards now? It’s not like FIFA are going to start a game development studio.