Best tag team match ever?

Chris B

45 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Three blokes are not a tag team. Don't come in here answering questions that were never asked!

Agreed and I much prefer traditional tag wrestling, the topic is best tag match though which is open to interpretation. 

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The British Bulldogs vs. The Rougeaus from '88.

Came in here to suggest this.

I suppose it depends what you want from a tag match. Steiners vs Nastys from Halloween Havoc 90 is great, mainly for the fact they knock the piss out of each other.

I remember Austin and Triple H having some good tags as the Two Man Power trip. I vaguely remember one against Jericho and Voldemort, not sure when.

I'd assume we're not counting table/ ladder/ TLC matches but if we were Hardys vs Dudleys  from Royal Rumble 2000 is one of my all time favourite matches. It's about as far removed from a traditional tag match as you can get but it's brilliant work from all involved.

Edited by cobra_gordo

I usually find myself agreeing with Meltzer and this time is no different. 6 stars and the best tag team match I think I've ever seen.

Other notable mentions Young Bucks v Golden Lovers at Strong Syle Evolved in 2018, Young Bucks v The Briscoes at ROH Best In The World 2018 and lastly DIY v The Revival at Takeover Toronto.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Other notable mentions Young Bucks v Golden Lovers at Strong Syle Evolved in 2018, Young Bucks v The Briscoes at ROH Best In The World 2018 and lastly DIY v The Revival at Takeover Toronto.

This is like the wrestling version of 'football was invented in 1992'.

• Paid Members

I loved the match. Watching it live will be better than viewing it afterwards, because it built and built and built, and it was really exciting. I do hate the idea that something is "the best ever" in a business like professional wrestling. Back in the day, people werent going for "the best ever match." HBK and Diesel vs the 123 Kid and Razor Ramon was just about as perfect a match as you will see, and they were all timing their pills to kick in. They werent looking for star ratings. They wanted to get in the shower because their bodies went numb and Jeff Jarrett had to drive them to the hotel in case they swallowed their tongues.

Its like this idea Shawn Michaels isnt as good as Will Ospreay. Shawn Michaels was on auto pilot half the time or was trying to make the other guy blow up so the boss would see the difference in quality between the pair (and did it in a ring so hard, they have no knees anymore). Today is a dance. Its mad to compare motives of a WWF guy in the 90s, on a $500 a night guarantee because business was dead and wrestlings in 2020 in front of an audience who are there to see the flips and the near falls.

Anyway, you couldnt do the Bucks vs Omega/Page years ago, because the referees would have been sacked for allowing the guys in the ring for so long or counting the illegal man out.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

4 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Kawada / Taue v Misawa / Kobashi - 2 matches from Jan. & June '95.

Kawada / Taue v Kobashi / Johnny Ace in '98

I always enjoyed Sasaki & Hase v The Steiners from 1992 & bringing it more up-to-date, possibly The Bucks v Kenny & Ibushi from March '18 in Long Beach.

Great shout. Brilliance. 

47 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is like the wrestling version of 'football was invented in 1992'.

We are in a golden age in terms of wrestling. I've been watching since around Wrestlemania 7 and the in ring product has never been better.

......and everybody knows football was invented in 1989, at Anfield, when Arsenal won the league.

• Paid Members

It’s obviously Undertaker & Kane vs Kronik from Unforgiven 2001.

Nah. My real answer and my immediate thought was Hart Foundation vs Brain Busters from SummerSlam 89. It’s brilliant. Clear babyface vs heel match with Arn and Tully being right cretins and Heenan poking his nose in whenever he can. It’s action packed but not overly long, the Harts bring that 80s colour with the neon pink outfits, the crowd is hot for it, there’s a dastardly finish by the bad guys and it’s all set to the soundtrack of Tony Schiavone and Jesse Ventura calling the action. It’s pretty much perfect to me. It’s always been one of my go-tos if I want a fix of 80s wrestling.

SummerSlam really brought it for tag matches in the early years though. As mentioned, 88 had the fantastic Bulldogs vs Rougeaus and 90 had that brilliant 2/3 Falls with the Hart Foundation vs Demolition.

A few others I haven’t seen brought up yet that probably won’t be anyone’s number one but deserve at least a mention;

• Shawn Michaels & Diesel vs Razor Ramon & 123 Kid (WWF Action Zone - Oct 94) - It’s four best mates so of course they were going to go all out to create something special. Haven’t seen it in years but I remember it being a really entertaining match.

Edit - even more impressive after reading Ian’s post about them all being pilled up. 

• Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes vs Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas (WCW Clash Of The Champions 21) - I watched this fairly recently when I was doing the WCW 92/93 reviews. It’s such a good match. Three of the best in ring of all time. And a Dynamic Dude. To be fair, even Douglas carries his weight here. Top match and the dissension and eventual split of the Windham/Rhodes team is really well done. 

• Bret & Owen Hart vs Steiner Brothers (WWF Wrestlefest 94) - I heard about this but, in the days before YouTube, Dailymotion etc, I never saw it for years. It delivered for me big time when I finally did see it. I’ve always loved the Steiners and you can’t really go wrong with the Harts in the opposite corner. This though; 

FE7D18AD-1430-4FDC-A25E-408108BC1B67.gif

Both amazed and terrified me in equal measure. I’d never seen Scott do that in WCW and I hadn’t seen much of him in Japan. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It was like one of the silly moves you’d do with your Hasbros that could never happen in a match because it might actually kill someone. Only thing that hurt this match for me was the lack of a proper finish and the boring, half arsed commentary by Gorilla Monsoon and Stan Lane. 

• Stone Cold Steve Austin & Shawn Michaels vs Owen Hart & British Bulldog (WWF Raw - May 97) - Love this. I thought it was the best tag match ever on Raw, and by quite a distance, until the Austin/Triple H vs Benoit/Jericho one in 2001. Everyone’s firing on all cylinders here and the crowd is lapping it up. Best bit is Shawn miraculously being over that career ending knee injury he was crying about just 3 months earlier. 

I’ve suddenly got the urge to binge watch a load of matches from this thread now. 

Edited by wandshogun09

19 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

We are in a golden age in terms of wrestling. I've been watching since around Wrestlemania 7 and the in ring product has never been better.

......and everybody knows football was invented in 1989, at Anfield, when Arsenal won the league.

It's sad because ratings have never dropped year on year like they have in the past ten. Depends what you mean by golden age. Matches w little story telling and 6893683882 MOVEZ doesn't trump a good story. If it's better than ever why is nobody watching it?

Everyone nowadays seems to want to have thee greatest five star match on every show. They don't know their place on the card so nothing means anything anymore. 

Edited by Michael_3165

These are the ones that immediately spring to mind for me....

* Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat vs. Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi (AJPW, 25/5/1992) - my favourite match ever!

* Midnight Express vs. Rock & Roll Express (WCW Wrestlewar 1990)

* Midnight Express vs. Southern Boys (WCW Great American Bash 1990)

* Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Barry Windham & Lex Luger (Clash Of The Champions 1)

* Arn Anderson & Larry Zbyszko vs, Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes (Clash Of The Champions 17)

There are others I like, but these are the ones I think of as being at the absolute top level.