Best tag team match ever?

Chris B

• Paid Members

Apparently, Meltzer's said he considers Omega/Page vs The Young Bucks to be the best tag match of all time. 6 stars. 

Obviously, all kinds of Meltzer conversations to be had, and not trying to start all that - he has what he likes. 

But it was a hell of a match, and I'm struggling to disagree. Certainly the best tag match I've seen in years. 

So what matches are on that level or better? In recent years, I thought DIY vs The Revival was fantastic fun, with one of my all-time favourite finishes. 

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Please don't turn this into another fucking Meltzer thread. It's one man's opinion. I'd be far more interested in the opinion of our posters, that's why we're all here!

Interesting question as Harts/Demos from SummerSlam 90 is and probably always be my favourite. Best is hard.

I think I'd go for The Rockers vs. Orient Express from Royal Rumble 1991 as best. I just think it's utterly flawless. The work of both teams as heels and babys is perfect for the situation, the pacing is superb, the action is obviously silky smooth but the journey they go on with the match ebbing and flowing is brilliant. I just don't think it gets better than that.

Tag wrestling is the best, great discussion incoming!

Edited by tiger_rick

The Brain Busters had some incredible matches with the Rockers back in 89 - I think there was a 3 falls match on a Main Event that was pretty fantastic.

Steiners v Road Warriors at Starrcade 89.

Steiners v 3-D in TNA - Bound For Glory 2007 was it?  There was a remarkably good match a bit before that with Road Warrior Animal subbing for Scott Steiner.

Undisputed Era v Revival was always good, they had a banger at the end of last year didn't they?

---

I fucking love tag wrestling, and it's the long drawn out  beat-downs that I particularly love, not the flippy shit although that can be fun too.  It's watching a team like UE or The Hart Foundation isolate an opponent, tag in and out with double teams and clever technical tricks to keep them from getting to their own corner.  I can watch stuff like that for hours.

• Paid Members

One I haven’t watched in a while that I love and is definitely up there for best tag match of all time is Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle vs Edge and Rey Mysterio from No Mercy 2002. The height of the Smackdown Six there which would lead into other great tag matches including the triple threat tag and the 2 out of 3 Falls rematch with Edge and Rey. 

I agree with Rick in that my defacto answer would be The Rockers vs. Orient Express match from Royal Rumble '91.  I've not watched it in years but have really strong, vivid memories of it and must've watched it numerous times in the early to mid 90s.

One that's not been mentioned yet that I also rate highly is Benoit & Jericho vs. HHH & Austin from the 5/21/01 episode of Raw.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, pol_pot_rick said:

The Southern Boys Vs. The Midnight Express at the Great American Bash 1990

I saw this for the first time recently when I was going through NWA / WCW PPVs on the WWE Network and it's absolutely brilliant. Mind you, you'd be hard pushed to find one with The Midnight Express that wasn't.

I'd go for the Steiners vs Nasty Boys from Halloween Havoc the same year. Just four huge bastards battering each other, perfect fun. The Steiners would probably take about seven or eight slots in my top ten.

40 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

One I haven’t watched in a while that I love and is definitely up there for best tag match of all time is Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle vs Edge and Rey Mysterio from No Mercy 2002. The height of the Smackdown Six there which would lead into other great tag matches including the triple threat tag and the 2 out of 3 Falls rematch with Edge and Rey. 

Is that the one where the Guerreros are at ringside, and Angle puts his opponent in one of Eddie's moves, whilst staring at him and saying 'this move SUCKS!".  That was quite brilliant.  The dynamic between Angle and Benoit during their tag team was as good as I've ever seen done.  They hated each other, and continually tried to one-up each other but were too competitive to loseso they kept winning. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

The Shield vs The Wyatts at elimination chamber is about as perfect at it gets for me. Great build, over characters, all hungry. 

Three blokes are not a tag team. Don't come in here answering questions that were never asked!

• Paid Members

I feel like there are so many great tag matches that I need to cheat and try to find differentiations to get all my shit in. 

For example, Joe Blog's just posted what I think is the best 6-man tag ever.

Best multiple team special stips match has to be one of the TLCs.

Best ten-man match is the Canadian Stampede match. 

However, be that as it may, I'm still torn when it comes to a classic tag match. One of my favourites, and I genuinely think this is one of the best tag matches I've ever seen (and @HarmonicGenerator did a wonderful review of it for his A SummerSlam Match A Day thread a few years ago), is the Legacy vs. DX match from SummerSlam 2009. I love re-watching it, it's just classic, dramatic action.

As tiger_rick's mentioned, Rockers vs. Orient Express is also up there. 

Another one for me is Misawa/Kawada vs. Kobashi/Akiyama from AJPW in 1999.

A personal favourite (although it probably wouldn't make Best Ever) is Kendo Nagasaki & Psycho Stevens vs. Wayne Bridge & Rollerball Rocco. 

Edited by Carbomb

• Awards Moderator

One of the best things about NXT for the past few years has been that run of Takeovers where it was O'Reilly & Strong vs. another team in the opener. No one particular match stands out but every one has been hugely enjoyable. Their tag division generally has always been of a high standard, whether it's UE, DIY, AOP or teams that weren't iniitials like Blake & Murphy or Moustache Mountain putting the work in.

If I had to pick an NXT tag team match that really stands out, though, it would be American Alpha vs. The Revival at Takeover Dallas. It's the match where AA (more initials) won the tag titles. The Revival were operating at this wonderful level of heel tag team where they didn't do anything too flashy but beat down the faces and then had the ever-present threat of Shatter Machine (or just cheating) to get the win. Chad Gable, as the babyface in peril, had me hoping and urging him on to make the hot tag, and when he did, Jason Jordan never did anything so good in his career as that hot tag. He got in there and Alpha won the titles and were the best new tag team in forever.

Going further back, the best match I think TNA ever had was AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels vs. LAX which would have been at one of their summer PPVs in ... I'm saying 2006. Hard Justice maybe? You had AJ at peak athleticism during a time when he'd pretty much done everything in singles, you had Daniels hitting a really good run of stuff, and the two of them working really, really well as a team (they even had matching gear which is +1000 points in my book). LAX were booked brilliantly, Homicide's never been more enjoyable (one for the out of context thread) and nor has Hernandez - the Border Toss was really over at this time. And they had an absolute cracker. Peak TNA.

There's one from the late 80s / early 90s that I know is one of my absolute favourites but it's just out of reach in my mind and I can't recall it. I'm pretty sure it's from Summerslam. It's probably The Hart Foundation vs. The Brain Busters at Summerslam '89, but it could also be The British Bulldogs vs. The Rougeaus from '88. They're both great, and thinking about it, it must be Harts/Busters I'm thinking about, but Matilda must be clouding my judgement.

The Rockers Vs. The Orient Express from the 91 Rumble is possibly my favourite PPV opener ever. Hart Foundation Vs. The Brain Busters from SummerSlam 89 is another good one.

Jungle Kyona & Konami Vs. Momo Watanabe & Utami Hayashishita was one of my favourite matches of 2019. Nothing MOTY or GOAT about it but just a rock solid tag team match.