Wilder vs Fury 2 - Feb 22 đŸ„Š

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/27/2020 at 12:40 AM, David said:

It's not so much a criticism of Joshua really, as much as it's about Fury at his best being probably the best heavyweight fighter of the past twenty-odd years.

Only Lennox Lewis in his prime comes close really.

I find that a lot of people romanticise past heavyweights. 

Fury would give almost every heavyweight - past or present - a lot of problems. I am not saying he would beat a prime version of Lewis,  the pre-1989 version of Tyson, or the pre-exile version of Ali. But he wouldn't necessarily be out of his depth against them either. 

He can do a bit of everything and always seems to rise to the occasion. He can pound his opponent into a pulp and make their corner throw in the towel, bounce from stance to stance, leave his opponent utterly confused, etc. All that combined with his height and reach makes him a force to be reckoned with. 

I bottled it last week and picked Wilder to beat him. But I won't do the same if he fights AJ in the future. I think Fury soundly outboxes him and maybe even stops him. 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Fury would give almost every heavyweight - past or present - a lot of problems. I am not saying he would beat a prime version of Lewis,  the pre-1989 version of Tyson, or the pre-exile version of Ali. But he wouldn't necessarily be out of his depth against them either.

George Foreman was asked on Twitter how he thinks he’d have done against Fury. This was before the Wilder rematch, by the way. 

4B0BA7A6-D908-4678-9A8B-4D5A69D0924E.jpeg

I love Big George. He comes across so cool, happy and ego-free in his old age. Clearly still loves Boxing but he’s always so humble when he talks about his own career and today’s boxers. It’s great to see. I wish he was my grandad. 

As for Fury, there really hasn’t ever been a Heavyweight like him before. To be that big and move the way he does isn’t normal. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I'm very much of the opinion there is pretty much no point in comparing fighters from different eras, at least from those more than twenty years apart. There have been so many advances made in training methodologies and sports science, it's ridiculous to compare Tyson Fury trained in the 2000s/2010s to Ali trained in the 1960s. If it were possible to get a clear idea of how Fury might have turned out with 1960s training or Ali might have turned out with 21st Century training, it might make more sense, but at least right now it isn't. 

• Paid Members

I think this is pretty old but here’s Big John Fury cutting a money promo and predicting Fury vs AJ...

”He’ll be crying after 4 rounds. Tears’ll be rollin’ out of his eyes like marrowfat peas.” 

That bit finished me like I was wearing a 40lb suit. 

6 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I find that a lot of people romanticise past heavyweights. 

He can do a bit of everything and always seems to rise to the occasion. He can pound his opponent into a pulp and make their corner throw in the towel, bounce from stance to stance, leave his opponent utterly confused, etc. All that combined with his height and reach makes him a force to be reckoned with. 

I bottled it last week and picked Wilder to beat him. But I won't do the same if he fights AJ in the future. I think Fury soundly outboxes him and maybe even stops him. 

I do believe that Lewis is probably the best equipped heavyweight of the past twenty or so years to have a chance to beat Fury. 

6'5, 245lbs, decent reach, fast, intelligent, could box and was also known as a knock out artist. He stopped 32 of his 41 wins. He's probably the closest to a modern style boxer of that time period. A prime Lewis could do well today I think.

Although it's unfair to compare fighters from previous eras, especially considering the size difference, I don't think any of the greats going further back than Lewis would have much success against Fury.

Mike Tyson? 5'10, 218lbs? Far too small. The way the Lewis fight went is similar to how Fury would beat him I think.

Going even further back, there's Muhammad Ali. Great boxer, but at 6'3 and 215lbs in his prime he'd not have much chance against someone as big, fast, and skilled as Fury.

If Fury beats Wilder again, then beats Joshua, there's a legitimate claim for him to be considered the greatest heavyweight fighter of all time in my view. 

On 2/29/2020 at 3:37 PM, David said:

Mike Tyson? 5'10, 218lbs? Far too small.

I wonder how boxing experts said this in the early 80s.  Tyson was knocking out guys much taller than him for his whole career.  None as tall as Fury admittedly but then Tyson’s speed and power in those days would be a problem for anyone.

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

I wonder how boxing experts said this in the early 80s.  

None. Probably because he turned pro in 85 :)  But I know what you mean. I don’t recall it being an issue because, as you say, his speed and power were his attributes. 

46 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

None. Probably because he turned pro in 85 :)  But I know what you mean. I don’t recall it being an issue because, as you say, his speed and power were his attributes. 

He was an amateur before that you know, he didn’t spring like Athene from the head of D’Amato.

• Paid Members

So, apparently there's video evidence that Fury wasn't correctly wearing his gloves, especially his left hand.

I don't see the benefits of just wafting a padded glove about the place, but his left hand does look remarkably flexible.