Under-Utilized Players

Loki

Who amongst the rosters of the main federations do you feel really aren't getting recognition or being used to their best extent?  What up and coming stars seem to slip completely under the radar?  Post here and have your insight immortalised for when they main event Wrestlemania ;)

What prompted this was thinking about, weirdly, Shane Thorne.  He's a guy who whenever he pops up on NXT always impresses me - he's got a decent look, works really smoothly in the ring, and seems to be very natural on the mic.  But he's only been on tv about half a dozen times since his tag partner left, and all they seem to think of him is to get our Nige to call him "meat pie ugly" every match.

• Paid Members

Everything he’s ever done that wasn’t scripted suggests Rusev is massively under-utilised. Genuinely funny on Twitter, super witty and charming the few times he’s done commentary, grabbing a fucking TV monitor from the announce table and declaring himself the TV Champion. Even the Rusev Day thing felt like some silly bollocks he was doing on his own, only for it to get over massively.

It’s glaringly obvious that he could be amazing if allowed to show even half the personality he has in real life.

Edited by Supremo

10 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Everything he’s ever done that wasn’t scripted suggests Rusev is massively under-utilised.

Stuff that he does that is scripted as well. Rusev has the ability, like R-Truth, to go for it and spin gold out of whatever he’s given - and he has the extra size and presence to go up to a gear that Truth can’t. But Rusev is being featured a lot now.

I’d say Shorty G and especially Drake Maverick should be on every week, but they do tend to be on regularly now anyway. I actually can’t think of anyone who isn’t on the shows who should be at the moment.

Big E. He’s a fairly important part of Smackdown in the New Day, but he should be so much more than that. I don’t understand why they try again and again to make Roman Reigns their top babyface when they have this guy on the roster. He’s charismatic, solid in ring, seems to carry himself well in public appearances. He’s worth more than they seem to think.

A babyface Big E versus a heel Roman Reigns is a combination I’d very much like to see. 

• Paid Members

Big E’s a great shout. Another guy where you can see a shit load of potential not being capitalised on. In any other era he’d be a superstar. 

She’s absolutely terrible in the ring, and has definitely had some of the worst performances of the year between the ropes, but Billie Kay seems to be a genuinely funny, brilliant character whenever they do stuff for YouTube or WWE.com. A huge waste.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

How is Drew McIntyre doing now? When I was watching semi-regularly a year back he was very clearly ready for a proper run on top. Great look, convincing gimmick and promo, big and can have good matches.

Absolute shame if he gets squandered.

Edited by ColinBollocks

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

How is Drew McIntyre doing now? When I was watching semi-regularly a year back he was very clearly ready for a proper run on top. Great look, convincing gimmick and promo, big and can have good matches.

Absolute shame if he gets squandered.

He got squandered.

• Paid Members

When he was tagging with Dolph Ziggler it seemed inevitable that Drew McIntyre was about to become massive. He had everything. Looked the business, carried himself like a star, had really great, explosive matches for a man his size...and then something like eighteen months passed and he's still just hanging around, not really doing anything. Crazy.

Ricochet has got to be mentioned, too. I know the promos where he sounds like Bugs Bunny aren't great, but even so. Someone that talented should not be just another guy on the roster. You can't blame them for watching him in the ring and thinking, "this guy should be a superhero,' but it speaks for how shit their creative is that making someone into a superhero starts and stops with commentators just saying, "this guy is like a superhero!" during his matches. He never actually does anything heroic, he never saves anyone from a heel beatdown, nobody has actually sat down and watched some Marvel films for inspiration. He just has matches and people keep saying the word, "superhero," as if that's enough. I saw a video on Twitter the other day where Rey Mysterio was putting over Ricochet and, genuinely, that thirty seconds did more to make Ricochet a star than the near twelve months he's had on the main roster.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Drew Gulak should be a utility player par excellence - he's genuinely one of the funniest people I've met in wrestling, while also being an absolutely superb technical wrestler, and hard hitting. He's someone that should be easy to slot in anywhere on the card, in a tag team, as an enforcer, or just a reliable good hand to help people on the way up. But looking on Cagematch he's lucky to get two TV matches a month, and most of them don't go five minutes.

Big E should have been a world champion by now.

• Paid Members

It’s McIntyre. Should have gone over Roman at Mania and SummerSlam could have been Rollins vs McIntyre with genuine intrigue as to the winner. He’d been primed for the top heel spot, but they didn’t follow through.