Jordan 'minstrel' Myles

JNLister

How could I be possibly be whitesplaining for putting my opinion across to a stranger on an internet wrestling forum without either of us knowing each others race or background?

Once again it's your insistance that opinion or behaviour must allign with race at all times.

I'm not talking about language, I'm talking about labelling. You said that Uncle Tom's and coconuts exist. That is you labelling those people as that. 

I don't like myself or other people being told they have to think or behave in a preset manner because of what they are and I think its obstructive to ever achieving anything near equality to tell people otherwise.

Perhaps I should tell you my race so you can provide me with a list of acceptable and unacceptable opinions and behaviours so I know for next time.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

How could I be possibly be whitesplaining for putting my opinion across to a stranger on an internet wrestling forum without either of us knowing each others race or background?

Once again it's your insistance that opinion or behaviour must allign with race at all times.

I'm not talking about language, I'm talking about labelling. You said that Uncle Tom's and coconuts exist. That is you labelling those people as that. 

I don't like myself or other people being told they have to think or behave in a preset manner because of what they are and I think its obstructive to ever achieving anything near equality to tell people otherwise.

Yes, I clearly wrote the book and invented the fucking term. Don't presume to tell me what I'm doing. Until you hear me actually calling someone that, wind your neck in. And labelling is a subset of language - one does not exist without the other in isolation. 

You're the one trying to say BME people/POC that they shouldn't use a term that has long had historical, cultural and political connotations for them. How about you actually tweet your opinions to Jordan Myles and see what he has to say about it? Or any other black American using the term?

ONCE AGAIN: I don't call people that. I'm simply exercising the simple humility that says other people can decide for themselves whether or not to use it without reference to my privileged viewpoint or yours.

Perhaps I should tell you my race so you can provide me with a list of acceptable and unacceptable opinions and behaviours so I know for next time.

Go ahead. I've got some suggestions lined up already.

Edited by Carbomb

20 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yes, I clearly wrote the book and invented the fucking term. Don't presume to tell me what I'm doing. Until you hear me actually calling someone that, wind your neck in. And labelling is a subset of language - one does not exist without the other in isolation. 

You're the one trying to say BME people/POC that they shouldn't use a term that has long had historical, cultural and political connotations for them. How about you actually tweet your opinions to Jordan Myles and see what he has to say about it? Or any other black American using the term?

ONCE AGAIN: I don't call people that. I'm simply exercising the simple humility that says other people can decide for themselves whether or not to use it without reference to my privileged viewpoint or yours.

Go ahead. I've got some suggestions lined up already.

I'm not singling out BME or POC using it I'm saying I don't think ANYONE should and that telling ANYONE what they can or can't do, say or think just because of their race, religion, gender etc is obstructive to equality. That point has remained the same throughout.

It's you once again insisting on seperating people into groups and behaviours down to race and desperately trying to pretend saying that there are people who are coconuts and uncle tom's isn't the same as calling them that directly.

I also note that now it's specifically black american people I should voice ny opinion to.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I'm not singling out BME or POC using it I'm saying I don't think ANYONE should and that telling ANYONE what they can or can't do, say or think just because of their race, religion, gender etc is obstructive to equality. That point has remained the same throughout.

And I'm saying you're operating from a privileged position that assumes a general principle based on equal footing from the get-go, and doesn't take into account historical factors which are important.

Reference: the N-word. In a fair world, on general principle, nobody would use it, because there should be no need to use it. But it exists because of historic events, and people more qualified than us to know what it really means use it.

It's you once again insisting on seperating people into groups and behaviours down to race and desperately trying to pretend saying that there are people who are coconuts and uncle tom's isn't the same as calling them that directly.

Get bent with your trolling. The only desperation I see is your cheap sophistry.

Does the fact that Nazis exist mean that I'm advocating nobody should call anyone a Nazi even if their behaviour could be seen as such?

I also note that now it's specifically black american people I should voice ny opinion to.

No, it's specifically to black people who use the term, like Jordan Myles. After all, he's one of the people using it, and you object to it.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

More storyline though.

EDIT: To be honest, I was done with this ages ago, but Senor Vegas just had to come out with that snotty post about me "not being able to back up my arguments". We really are now at a point where we should agree to disagree, but I doubt we'll get it. But (and apologies to all for taking so long) I think I've made my point.

Edited by Carbomb

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

And I'm saying you're operating from a privileged position that assumes a general principle based on equal footing from the get-go, and doesn't take into account historical factors which are important.

Reference: the N-word. In a fair world, on general principle, nobody would use it, because there should be no need to use it. But it exists because of historic events, and people more qualified than us to know what it really means use it.

Get bent with your trolling. The only desperation I see is your cheap sophistry.

Does the fact that Nazis exist mean that I'm advocating nobody should call anyone a Nazi even if their behaviour could be seen as such?

No, it's specifically to people who use the term, like Jordan Myles. After all, he's one of the people using it, and you object to it.

There you go again. I'm from a priviliged position. You know nothing about me whatsoever only assumption.

Once again I'm belittled to an uncle tom if I'm black or racially insensitive if I'm anything else.

In relation to the N word, it's a word I have never used in my life in any context. If nobody used it ever again then over time it might disappear completely. Who knows. 

Nazi's is a bad example really because they undisputedly exist whereas "uncle tom" is a fictional character and is used as a derogatory term by some people for anyone not behaving in a manner deemed racially appropriate.

Disagreeing with you and saying so is not trolling.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Fair is fair we're never going to agree and I've never been any under impression to the contrary. So let's draw a line under it and move on. Have a good day.

I did say this a few pages ago! Without being all cheesy about it, the reason I debated with you and not Richard is because you've posted stuff in the past that shows you're not an out-and-out troll. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Anyway, yeah - have a good day.