Jordan 'minstrel' Myles

JNLister

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

You also followed that with something about people "feigning outrage". That's why I responded to your point as a whole. 

Criticism of it happening is part and parcel of not participating in it. I don't doubt the sincerity of people on here who say they deplore racism. But a lot of people who deplore racism don't often recognise racist behaviour in their own actions, and it's episodes like the above T-shirt being created and put out without any kind of thought about the implications that highlight this.

In my experience, there are no racists that don't know they're being racist. Judging someone by their strenght of character is something that rings true in any and every culture. No one gets a pass.

I try not to give people the satisfaction of questioning this and don't along with the insulting little performances they can put on.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Whistling Skull said:

In my experience, there are no racists that don't know they're being racist. Judging someone by their strenght of character is something that rings true in any and every culture. No one gets a pass.

I try not to give people the satisfaction of questioning this and don't along with the insulting little performances they can put on.

I can understand that perspective, and fair play to you for that, but my own conclusions are different based on my own experiences. You've definitely offered a different angle I hadn't considered, though.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

I can understand that perspective, and fair play to you for that, but my own conclusions are different based on my own experiences. You've definitely offered a different angle I hadn't considered, though.

Very cool. Our world is what we make it, but we'll only make it together. Keep on keeping on.

• Paid Members

By no means am I saying WWE are innocent or what Myles is doing is either justified or wrong, this is a post purely questioning what way this goes now.

What do WWE do in this situation? Release him and potentially face a lawsuit, leave him off TV in the hopes this all dies down? push him to the moon? 

I genuinely don't know where this will all lead. I spotted the racial connotations on the shirt straight away so how that shirt can get to production without anyone think 'here lads, that's a bit dodgy, isn't it?', but then, if Myles has indeed signed it off a month ago, but then brought it up and it was taken from production and redesigned, what has triggered the public shaming? 

EDIT: I have only just seen the new tweet from Myles stating that he approved the shirt when it was displayed to him on a white T-shirt. The tweet since was when he saw it on a black background and the racial connections were blatant. 

Could this be an ignorant misunderstanding whereby the designer intended the shirt to be displayed on a white background (Similar to the 'Super' shirt that Myles wears to the ring) and upon production, the logo was placed on a black background? or is that me giving too much benefit of doubt to a company that has got numerous previous accounts of being scummy? 

image.png.52676e5a63edea046da41f6bbd8d72eb.png

Edited by Nick James

I might be in the extreme minority here but for me if you look at that t-shirt and immediately your mind makes the immediate link to minstrels then I don't think thats very normal.

I saw the picture of the shirt on twitter the same day this all kicked off but didn't read any of the text. I just thought "wow what a typical horrendous WWE produced shirt". I genuinely never gave it a second thought because I assumed the context was just him, fans and colleagues all saying alike.

The comments on Hogan are justifiable. There are a hundreds if not thousands of racist things WWE could be called out on. This shirt is barely one of them. It's just a very shit shirt which I genuinely think the majority of people would not have linked to any form of racism if not for him saying it.

Calling Jay Lethal an uncle tom and saying ROH are corrupt because no other black guy was on top is not.

In my opinion this is either a very weird/shit work or someone who has lost their damn mind.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I might be in the extreme minority here but for me if you look at that t-shirt and immediately your mind makes the immediate link to minstrels then I don't think thats very normal.

Depends on what's "normal" for you. Most people I know knew exactly what they problem was when I showed them the graphic, and so did I when I was shown it.

Calling Jay Lethal an uncle tom and saying ROH are corrupt because no other black guy was on top is not.

In my opinion this is either a very weird/shit work or someone who has lost their damn mind.

I must admit that calling any black person an Uncle Tom is potentially very problematic; it's not too far off when right-wing Jews call left-wing ones "self-hating". There are Uncle Toms/coconuts out there, but there needs to be a lot of care taken before labelling someone that, especially in the current climate, in which civil rights issues are coming to the forefront again. 

We don't know what went on behind the scenes at RoH, so it's very possible Myles' accusation could be accurate, particularly as Sinclair Broadcasting Systems, which owns RoH, is an organisation with particularly hard-right Republican tendencies. But until I personally hear about specific instances in which Lethal behaved like an Uncle Tom, I will reserve my own judgment, however little that's worth.

Either way, the era we're living in, people in general should be mindful that things are precarious right now for BME people, and especially for those in the US - the reports of black people being shot and killed by police for, at best, minor infractions, and, at worst, none at all, are becoming alarmingly frequent. Worse still, the justification narratives coming out in an attempt to silence the anger and outrage are predictably inevitable, and a lot of the time these stem from entrenched attitudes that aren't constructed from one, solitary, large narrative of prejudice, but from a culmination of lots of small instances of behaviour and skewed ideas, that in themselves are negligible, but are not in the context of the entire body. Criticising these small instances (I believe the new term is "micro-aggressions") is how we gradually break down the overall issue as a whole.

Edited by Carbomb