Racism and homophobia in football

Devon Malcolm

That was always going to happen though, wasn't it? As we've seen in this thread with the Celtic/Rangers chat and also in the media in general racism in football is pretty much always going to be used as a means to play the holier than thou card and to bash club rivals.

It's shit that it's being used in such a way, but it's to be expected I guess.

I have to organise my local non-league team's Kick It Out/Diversity day in a months time. I'm starting to plan it now but there are so many potential pratfalls and ways to offend people by accident. 

For starters, how do you think inviting famous black players from the club's history down for some sort of on field presentation at halftime, followed by a steel drum band and limbo competition in the centre circle? *

But yeah, any good ideas warmly received.

* Last bit is a joke white knights!

1 hour ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I have to organise my local non-league team's Kick It Out/Diversity day in a months time. I'm starting to plan it now but there are so many potential pratfalls and ways to offend people by accident. 

For starters, how do you think inviting famous black players from the club's history down for some sort of on field presentation at halftime, followed by a steel drum band and limbo competition in the centre circle?

It may just be me, but I find that kind of thing condescending. Wheel out the token black guys to the centre circle so everyone in the crowd can prove how unracist they are by applauding them? 

You're bang on that there is a whole bunch of ways that this can come off bad. Surely the famous black players are just famous players who should be recognised as such? 

What's even worse is that in most cases (not necessarily yours) these events are organised and run by mostly white people, with a token minority as a spokesman or suchlike. 

But again, it may just be me. I'm incredibly jaded that racism is still a "thing" to the extent it is today in football.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well, back in the 70s while at WBA, Big Ron did a black vs white match, which was also great as they’re the club colours. Perhaps take a leaf out of his book?

Please tell me this happened. 

I'm still astounded he referred to his three black players as The Three Degrees at the time. 

28 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Please tell me this happened. 

I'm still astounded he referred to his three black players as The Three Degrees at the time. 

Pretty sure there was a documentary about it a few years ago as well.

edit: mentioned in the post above 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Devon Malcolm changed the title to Racism and homophobia in football
  • Paid Members

I've edited the title of this thread because the actions of San Diego Loyal in the last couple of weeks are a response to both these elements.

A week before this they walked off after a player was racially abused by an opponent.

Fucking fair play to them, Landon Donovan is 100% correct and I can feel his frustration that the other coach appears to think it's ok because it's not racism, funnily enough that seems to be the trend on Twitter too. 

I'm assuming the starred out words is that he called him a batty boy? I can't understand how that cannot be interpreted as anything other than homophobic, not clear what the referee has or hasn't heard. If he did hear that and didn't take action that's very poor.