Racism and homophobia in football

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

It's a funny one. Without the tribalism and passion, football would be dull as fuck, but it's a double edged sword because people let that passion blinker them(as seen with the Celtic/Rangers talk in here).

That's all well and good, but Chester fans should be hanged. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

As appalling as that behaviour was, it was 20 years ago. Is there a more recent example? Happy to take on board your point if there is.

In terms of the current situation, I am absolutely certain that Celtic and their support have done more to address fan behaviour than Rangers have. While they continue to sell orange strips anything else they do is undermined.

A recent example you say? Perhaps the constant, ongoing abuse Shay Logan gets from the Celtic support for committing the crime of reporting racial abuse by one of your players.

And before you deflect with the "It's because he's a pure wanker and wind up merchant" excuse, before the racial abuse incident he played several times and scored against Celtic and their fans said fuck all - not a peep about him. I'm sure it's all just a coincidence that they boo him now. 

I disagree. Absolutely elements of the Celtic support that need to be addressed but there are many more issues with the Rangers support and only one club has been cited for racism here. 

5 hours ago, David said:

That's only because it wasn't deemed to be as big an issue when you lot were throwing bananas at Mark Walters back in the day. 

As appalling as that behaviour was, it was 20 years ago. Is there a more recent example? Happy to take on board your point if there is.

5 hours ago, David said:

Wasn't a Celtic fan actually jailed for racism towards El Hadji Diouf? For making monkey noises at him? That wasn't long ago.

Again, I disagree.

4 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

Edit: never mind. Have decided to bow out of this topic.

Probably for the best.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:20 PM, martyngnr said:

A recent example you say? Perhaps the constant, ongoing abuse Shay Logan gets from the Celtic support for committing the crime of reporting racial abuse by one of your players.

And before you deflect with the "It's because he's a pure wanker and wind up merchant" excuse, before the racial abuse incident he played several times and scored against Celtic and their fans said fuck all - not a peep about him. I'm sure it's all just a coincidence that they boo him now. 

Are the accusers always holy? Like I've said in this thread before, the absolute worst racial abuse I've heard in this country was at Pittodrie. Are 60,000 people at Celtic Park racist? Probably not. Have a word with yourself. Shay Logan is a cunt - so are some sections of the Celtic fans. Grow up.

12 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

Are the accusers always holy? Like I've said in this thread before, the absolute worst racial abuse I've heard in this country was at Pittodrie. Are 60,000 people at Celtic Park racist? Probably not. Have a word with yourself. Shay Logan is a cunt - so are some sections of the Celtic fans. Grow up.

Absolutely none of what you said is even a factor in the main point made in the post you quoted. Shay Logan, a black Aberdeen player, has been vilified by certain sections of the Celtic support for having the sheer audacity to highlight to the authorities that he was racially abused by a Celtic player.

"Are the accusers always holy" you ask? What the fuck does that mean? That because Logan is known for winding up the opposition a bit during games to gain an advantage, like many players do, that his accusations of racism should be considered less worthy of attention? Sorry mate, but that sounds uncomfortably close to "he brings it on himself."

You also say that "the absolute worst racial abuse" you've heard in Scotland was at Aberdeen's stadium. Again, what does that mean? That because a number of people from the north of Scotland are scumbags it somehow diminishes the complaints of a black guy from south Manchester?

Logan was asked by a Scottish reporter if any of the abuse that he gets from Celtic fans whenever they visit Aberdeen's stadium is of the racist kind. His answer?

“There was but I expect it now.”

Even worse, when the then-Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers was asked about Logan's claims he replied with:

“There has obviously been an ongoing thing with young Shay since an incident I was made aware of when I first came in . . . but the Celtic supporters were voted the best in the world. I think that says it all in terms of the ambience at the stadium and how they behave themselves.”

Rodgers may be gone from Celtic, but his response typifies the entitled, holier-than-thou attitude of Celtic as a club in general, and their general unwillingness to recognise a problem. Say what you want about the lot across the road, but at least in recent times we've seen the hierarchy at the club throw out some pretty heavy condemnation.  

Every club has a racist element. My own used to be fucking terrible for it, and they still have some iffy moments. At no point will I ever try to justify or trivialise that by pointing to how bad others are, or how the recipient of the abuse "is a cunt." There are problems everywhere, and that includes the "best supporters in the world."

The alleged racist abuse Logan received from Aleksander Tonev is deplorable and exactly in line with why this thread is created. I'm happy to concede that I have perhaps fudged my words regarding Logan: I intensely dislike him but racial abuse strips him of his humanity. Believe me when I say that I would never pull the "brings it on himself" platitude given that Neil Lennon previously managed my team and that is the line most associated with him.

When I say "is the accuser always holy", I am pointing the finger directly at fans like yourself who rely on tired cliches such as the "Bigot Brothers" to reduce the debate to a sectarian motive when it is clear that our clubs are having extreme difficulty in eradicating racial prejudice.

4 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

The alleged racist abuse Logan received from Aleksander Tonev is deplorable and exactly in line with why this thread is created. I'm happy to concede that I have perhaps fudged my words regarding Logan: I intensely dislike him but racial abuse strips him of his humanity.

You have "perhaps" fudged your words? That's an understatement and a half.

You've basically done your best to justify the racial abuse of a footballer, using some weird half-arsed argument that Aberdeen has some of the most racist fans you've seen in Scotland or something. You can try to back out of it, but it's all right there. Which leads me to...

4 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

When I say "is the accuser always holy", I am pointing the finger directly at fans like yourself who rely on tired cliches such as the "Bigot Brothers" to reduce the debate to a sectarian motive when it is clear that our clubs are having extreme difficulty in eradicating racial prejudice.

Nice try. It's clear that "the accuser" you were referring to was Shay Logan, which is why you then went on to explain how much of a cunt he is. In your eyes, him being a cunt at least partially explains why he was abused, racially or otherwise.

Just admit that you came steaming into the discussion and proceeded to make a roaring cunt of yourself.

Edited by David