Racism and homophobia in football

Devon Malcolm

19 minutes ago, David said:

Wasn't a Celtic fan actually jailed for racism towards El Hadji Diouf? For making monkey noises at him? That wasn't long ago.

Look, both sides of the "old firm" are deplorable. This pathetic little "we may have our problems, but we're not as bad as them!" line is tiresome. I fail to see how being slightly less sectarian than your rivals is something positive?

There's a reason why the English Premier League has never been interested in either of you, despite the interest and money you'd undoubtedly bring. It's because of the baggage associated with both clubs. 

Again, I disagree. It's not 'a little less sectarian'. It's multiple examples of racist AND sectarian behaviour by one club and their supporters in the very recent past. Only one club ever had a policy of not signing players of a certain religion. That underlying bigotry has never left them and I doubt it ever will.

Edit: yes I am a Celtic fan and I never declared myself to be unbiased. Doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members

All national anthems are wank, and should be fucked off before sporting events all together. Except Russia's that is, that should be played before every match(complete with 50ft high painting of Ivan Drago)...

Bugger, this should have been in the other football thread(following on from the talk of the Scotish anthem etc...), but come to think of it, stopping the anthems will stop the pathetic booing and crap before the match even kicks off!

Edited by Cod Eye

Just for you, David.

https://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/news/motherwell-fc-apologise-to-jason-scotland-1-279352

I love mock Old Firm outrage. I am a Hibs fan and I am quite happy to admit that I've seen deplorable behaviour from our fans in terms of racism and sectarianism (believe me, Celtic are not the only club with a Republican undercurrent).

But the narrative that it's all Celtic and Rangers' fault, that their nasty, bigoted fans are responsible for all this country's woes, that Scotland is an idyllic land of peace and tolerance is an absolute hoot. I've seen sectarianism and racist abuse at every ground in Scotland - the pinnacle being Pittodrie. 

Gies peace. This thread is about the need to address the racism we see week in, week out - not score points or lap up your time on the high horse.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

All national anthems are wank, and should be fucked off before sporting events all together. Except Russia's that is, that should be played before every match(complete with 50ft high painting of Ivan Drago)...

Russia, Italy and France are the only anthems that should be permitted because they're ace. The rest are awful.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Russia, Italy and France are the only anthems that should be permitted because they're ace. The rest are awful.

Yeah, I quite like La Marseillaise too. I would probably stretch to actually singing England's if we changed to "Jerusalem" instead of asking a bloke in the sky to make sure a random pensioner is ok...

• Paid Members

This thread descended into a pissing contest about whether Celtic or Rangers are the most racist much more quickly that anticipated, I will admit. Both of them are two cheeks of the same arse.

29 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

I am a Celtic fan

Like that Frankie Boyle mutant woman said about her kids doing a shit: DESGUSTANG! Ye cunts have been appropriating my culture for decades. Cultural appropriation might be more well-intentioned than direct racism, but it’s no less harmful, and it’s patronising.

I’ve a mate at work who is an actual Rastafarian, and she kicks off like fuck when I wear one of the berets with dreadlocks hanging off it. That’s how I feel about plastics, man. Just because ye are also ginger, thick, dependent on alcohol and bitter about England’s clear superiority over us all does not make ye Real IRA. It’s all well and good singing about stealing Trevelyn’s corn, pal, but some of us had to live it. I came up in the soft and craggy boglands. I was at Mosney with Willie McBride’s young fella. And I’d rather work the bog with ten Black and Tans than one plastic Paddy. At least you know where you stand with a Black and Tan. And they’re less likely to be a smackhead.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

While Russia's national anthem is by a mile the best, I would add Ireland to the list too, because the chorus of people yelling "Ireland. IRRRELLAAAND" is belting.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

While Russia's national anthem is by a mile the best, I would add Ireland to the list too, because the chorus including "Ireland. IRRRELLAAAND" is belting.

Russia's anthem is so great because every time there's a bloody revolution with millions dead the following administration always says "I love the tune, let's tweak the lyrics."

Now if Canada was good at football there'd be some real competition.

• Paid Members
Just now, seph said:

Russia's anthem is so great because every time there's a bloody revolution with millions dead the following administration always says "I love the tune, let's tweak the lyrics."

When I play it on Spotify, which is with alarming regularity, I always go for the Soviet version. The original and the best.

Without going all Carbomb, they did have other anthems after the fall of communism and they were uniformly terrible. I wish other countries (I'm looking at you Australia) would admit when a mistake has been made and go back to a cracking anthem.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

The Welsh one is ace although I'm biased and that's mainly because of how it's sang. Uruguays caught me off guard as a tune, very Italy. 

17 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

While Russia's national anthem is by a mile the best, I would add Ireland to the list too, because the chorus of people yelling "Ireland. IRRRELLAAAND" is belting.

Irelands Call get a fair bit of grief.  I think it's sound enough but not as good as the real anthem.