Racism and homophobia in football

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MungoChutney said:

No idea why but quote won't display properly.

It's because you quoted a post which contained no content other than a quote. Quotes within a quoted post don't show. If Houchen had written something, that would've featured in your post, although the quote he'd included wouldn't have been.

10 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

I'm not sure how prevalent the issue of racism is in English club football, but I've definitely been aware of an element within the national team support and of the James Mclean stuff. In Scotland, Rangers have had two partial stadium closures this season by UEFA for racist and sectarian chanting. For some reason the Scottish media mainly reported this as sectarian, possibly because it's then easier to peddle the two sides are bad as each other argument.

They don't need any help in peddling that line, trust me. both sides of the Bigot Brothers offer enough assistance on that front.

2 minutes ago, David said:

They don't need any help in peddling that line, trust me. both sides of the Bigot Brothers offer enough assistance on that front.

I disagree. Absolutely elements of the Celtic support that need to be addressed but there are many more issues with the Rangers support and only one club has been cited for racism here. 

1 minute ago, MungoChutney said:

I disagree. Absolutely elements of the Celtic support that need to be addressed but there are many more issues with the Rangers support and only one club has been cited for racism here. 

That's only because it wasn't deemed to be as big an issue when you lot were throwing bananas at Mark Walters back in the day. 

Edited by David

1 minute ago, David said:

That's only because it wasn't deemed to be as big an issue when you lot were throwing bananas at Mark Walters back in the day. 

As appalling as that behaviour was, it was 20 years ago. Is there a more recent example? Happy to take on board your point if there is.

In terms of the current situation, I am absolutely certain that Celtic and their support have done more to address fan behaviour than Rangers have. While they continue to sell orange strips anything else they do is undermined.

2 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

As appalling as that behaviour was, it was 20 years ago. Is there a more recent example? Happy to take on board your point if there is.

Wasn't a Celtic fan actually jailed for racism towards El Hadji Diouf? For making monkey noises at him? That wasn't long ago.

Look, both sides of the "old firm" are deplorable. This pathetic little "we may have our problems, but we're not as bad as them!" line is tiresome. I fail to see how being slightly less sectarian than your rivals is something positive?

There's a reason why the English Premier League has never been interested in either of you, despite the interest and money you'd undoubtedly bring. It's because of the baggage associated with both clubs. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

Remember that "Racism is engrained in certain nationalities nature." 

Such as England. 

I admit, I had a bit of a 'mare there. I think what I was trying to say is that, while it was prevelant and deeply rooted in our society, it's very much being diluted as each passing generation dies out. I remember as recently as the early to mid 90's Ian Wright getting dogs abuse by the Barnsley fans during a League Cup game at Oakwell, and all the adults laughing about it in the pub after. But very recently, a mini-brawl started in the home end because some of the older fans sand a racist song. That tells me that over here, the biggotry is becoming less and less acceptable.

But can you say that about Bulgaria(for example) where even their high ranking FA officials are denying and excusing the actions of what appeared to be a group of young men?

Edited by Cod Eye