Racism and homophobia in football

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

So yeah, last night in Bulgaria happened and while their response has been predictably pathetic, it gives England fans and the media a chance to make it look like they don't hound black players for being black and rich, and trot out chants about James McClean.

This is great though from Barney Ronay:-

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/14/six-minutes-added-time-racism-england-bulgaria-euro-2020

I also thought Ian Wright was great on ITV last night, he's really spoken with a clarity on this subject recently.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Yeah, a lot of hypocrisy from the media who love to whip up xenophobia, Chelsea fans and the Andrei Kanchelskis brigade in general and whoever at the FA only fined Millwall 10k for racist chanting from their fans last season.

It was disgusting. Sadly very predictable too. I blame UEFA for their decades of inaction. Banners, T-Shirts and the occassional stadium closure aren't going to have any effect on these countries where racism is as organised as hooliganism. They should stop them entering UEFA competitions full stop.

We need to get our own house in order. Although it's difficult to be moral when the entire country is one big festering hole.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Yeah, a lot of hypocrisy from the media who love to whip up xenophobia, Chelsea fans and the Andrei Kanchelskis brigade in general and whoever at the FA only fined Millwall 10k for racist chanting from their fans last season.

It was disgusting. Sadly very predictable too. I blame UEFA for their decades of inaction. Banners, T-Shirts and the occassional stadium closure aren't going to have any effect on these countries where racism is as organised as hooliganism. They should stop them entering UEFA competitions full stop.

We need to get our own house in order. Although it's difficult to be moral when the entire country is one big festering hole.

It's a start, and may cut down the incidents that happen at the grounds, but I don't think it would even touch the surface of the racism problem. Racism is engrained in certain nationalities nature, and all kicking their national teams out will do is paint over the cracks and take it out of the public eye. Ian Wright had the right idea last night when he said the only way to eradicate it, is though education.

There is a very good documentary series started on one of the documentary channels called "Why We Hate" that delves deep into the reasons people feel the need to hate other races/countries etc. At the end of the first episode, it focusses on the lass who left the Westboro Baptist Church and how it took a Jewish journalist to actually "teach" her that the biggotted views she had drilled into her from birth were false to see the light and leave. The race problem needs the same approach, in my humble opinion of course.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

It's a start, and may cut down the incidents that happen at the grounds, but I don't think it would even touch the surface of the racism problem. Racism is engrained in certain nationalities nature, and all kicking their national teams out will do is paint over the cracks and take it out of the public eye.

I get that. Just like I get that racism is prelevent up and down this country even when it doesn't happen in football stadiums. But I think UEFA's job is to enforce serious sanctions that massively affect the relevant FA and ensure it gives maximum encouragement to them to sort out their own social issues.

How can we expect the match going moron to be educated when the management and journalists have denied there is even a problem. 

I had to smirk and shake my head when I saw some people on my social media posting things like "Scum", "Racist Bastards" and the like when they are usually sharing "Patriot" and anti immigrant posts.  If your opposition to racism is exclusive to abuse received by players on your team, then you aren't opposed to racism.  We see this tribalistic "He can't be guilty, he plays for my team" all the time and now when it's a national team, those tribe members are united under the same flimsy, see through banner.

You know for a fact that these fuckers wouldn't be so condemning if it was Rahman Saleem of Pakistani origin and not Raheem Sterling on the receiving end, they wouldn't be so quick with their disgust.  As John Barnes said, you can stop racist chants in a stadium but you'll still have racists in the stadium.  Football is rotten to the core.

A start would be getting our own house in order. Racism is deeply entrenched in British football. The casual abuse that we permit or think is acceptable because "it's just banter" needs to go. Take to Twitter of a weekend and you'll see live cases in point: calling Spurs fans "yids", denigrating Celtic's Irish roots or Aston Villa suggesting that their star player's father is a rasta. The list would go on I'm sure.

In fairness, football is a microcosm of society and I believe that these views are widely held nationally. It's easy to blame football as supporters are seen as thick and tribal. The reality is that Britain is equally culpable for racist behaviour - other nations just sing it in a more obvious and crass manner. The same toxic attitudes exist on the terrace here, and there is no immediate solution as our own parliament is a hotbed of prejudice.

• Paid Members

UEFA can do more but the growing acceptance of racist behaviour (especially when senior political figures set a precedent for it themselves) doesn't make it any easier. There is a much, MUCH bigger problem with racism that goes far beyond football and until more is done to combat that, sadly it won't be eradicated from football. That John Barnes quote in @johnnyboy's post sums it up. Institutional racism must be defeated first and foremost. 

• Moderators

It needs to start with the Kick It Out lot. They are fucking useless. 

But yeah it's all "banter". A mate of mine who's normally a top person who I go the football with at pre season at the racecourse was joking we should have a "one in one out system like Everton. We've 5 on the pitch and I can't tell the difference" along with "he looks athletic". In the pub after it bringing it up to him he's embarrassed as fuck about it, but it's as if there's different rules while the game is on. So it's ingrained in football culture totally. It needs pulling up at the roots. 

Edited by PowerButchi

I'm not sure how prevalent the issue of racism is in English club football, but I've definitely been aware of an element within the national team support and of the James Mclean stuff. In Scotland, Rangers have had two partial stadium closures this season by UEFA for racist and sectarian chanting. For some reason the Scottish media mainly reported this as sectarian, possibly because it's then easier to peddle the two sides are bad as each other argument.

I know that there's a general disdain for Scottish football on this board and in the main that's fairly good natured piss taking. That said, I'd say even some of the language used during this has been offensive and would be amazed if people spoke like that in real life.

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

I know that there's a general disdain for Scottish football on this board and in the main that's fairly good natured piss taking. That said, I'd say even some of the language used during this has been offensive and would be amazed if people spoke like that in real life.

What is this a reference to?