Charity Shop Gems

Keith Houchen

This is a thread for the wonders and horrors you've picked up from your local Charity Shops.  My girlfriend works in a charity shop so I tend to get first dibs on donations.  Lately I've got a load of books, including Slave stories and biographies, Fidel Castro's biography of Che, Che's Bolivian diaries, an Athletic Bilbao jacket, some great vinyl including Prince, Top Gun soundtrack and Springsteen.  And loads of picture frames for when I finally get some of my photography efforts printed out.

Back in the day, some pals of mine used to play the "Dress To Impress - Charity Shop Challenge" where you'd get paired up with someone and you'd have a tenner to kit them out for a night on the sauce.  It always ended up with 20 year olds dressed like pensioners but was always good fun.

How about you?  Pics are very welcome

Nice topic idea. I like having a browse around charity shops, especially when you're in an affluent area. They're like bookies in that there's usually a load of them near each other which is good.

I spent ages looking for a laptop bag/satchel a couple of years ago but didn't wanna fork out £150 odd for one. Found a really nice one for about a fiver in a Mind shop. Also found a couple of smart Ralph Lauren shirts that I picked up for about £15 for the pair. Got a stack of other clothes from charity shops too. 

Always good for books as you said, Keith. Found some brilliant books over the years and at £1 a pop you don't mind if they're not any good. I read far too much to be able to spend £20 on new books from Waterstones. 

The pricing in some of them makes me laugh though. You can find a pair of immaculate Levi's for a fiver in the same shop as they're selling a stained Burton's jacket for £20. 

• Paid Members

"But she has been secretly advertising ‘cut-price’ 15-minute quickies for £40 at the store, letting clients in the back door while her managers are on breaks or manning the till, in Didsbury, Manchester."

Do they mean using the rear of the shop? As Toesucker asked there, does she put some of the proceeds to charity? It's bad form if she doesn't.

About a year ago in our local Salvation Army shop a DJ had left his CD collection in there, and they were flogging them at 10p a pop. We grabbed 20. There were some of the all back to ours curated compilation albums, a few Ministry Of Sound/Gatecrasher type efforts. A really interesting Stock Aitken & Waterman compilation which was 3 disks. Couple of actual albums by artists. I'm trying to remember where the picture is I took of them all.

They also had some Jacamo/Simply Be stuff in there after the store in town went under. I got a polo polo shirt and a couple of nice t-shirts from there for a fiver, the ones that were usually about £25 in the catalogue store

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I got a nice condition copy of Talisman (an old Games Workshop game) with all the expansions for six quid a couple of months back.

I hate how these shops just bin cassettes, especially now as they're sought after again by us hipsters and poorer music collectors who can't exactly afford vinyls all the time.

• Paid Members

Talisman was amazing at the time.  I had the original green box, black and white card version when it first came out, and we must have played it for months.  Other gams with better systems have come since, and there is no real reason to play it now, but it is a happy memory.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

The problem with Talisman is it ends up with you just hoping you roll the right number for an age to enter the inner circles.

As mentioned earlier, I f you go to Oxfam in Didbury, you can get into Kat Lees inner circle very quickly indeed.

• Paid Members

I love wandering around charity shops. Often it's just to go over the bric-a-brac / household section to play "We used to have one of those", but I've picked up a lot of books over the years and some wonderfully ugly ties.

The best items are probably these:

Firstly, a shirt that's starting to lose it's shape because I've had it so long, but it's become one of my favourites and people always seem to find it interesting.

ch3.jpg

ch4.jpg

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce
Getting images to show