Charity Shop Gems

Keith Houchen

24 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Staff buying things from charity shops they work in is morally dubious for me unless they're paying the market value for them. If people are setting the price below what they know its worth then buying it themself its pretty poor when a charity is involved.

The places I worked at you did'nt go "ahh awesome a digital camera, 50p will do". You would take whatever it was to the manager, they would price it. Then you would get 20% staff discount because its a perk for working in a shop for zero money. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Two issues with that from working in charity shops. First 90% of the customers are old people. 90% of the donations come from old people. 90% of the sales these places do is selling old womens clothes to other old women. Doris and Flo know the value of these clothes and are invaluable in pricing them properly and keeping these places in business. Once in a blue moon you might get a games console or decent bit of electronics but like I said its clothes that keep these places going and they care far more about getting the price right on a ladies Marks and Sparks winter coat than stuff that barely ever gets donated.

Secondly who cares if the staff are picking out nice stuff. 99% of people working in charity shops are unpaid volunteers. The managers will be on minimum wage. They will be getting decent deals on things but they are still buying the stuff.

Yeah I don’t disagree with any of your points, but that was the aim of the program and the message they were portraying on the show. It was after that I noticed ‘expensive’ charity shops. I’ve personally got no problem with them charging fair prices, but there’s a middle ground. Older people pricing clothes for older people absolutely makes sense. Jesmond is an upmarket wealthy student based area, that sells video games and designer jeans. So I’d counter argue and say knowledgeable, young volunteers are required depending on the area & market.

I’ve got no issues with them cherry picking if they’re paying for days item. A sale is a sale.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Nah, staff 'cherry picking' things is absolutely fine. I guarantee they're* not taking them for free, and who on here can honestly say that they haven't benefited from things in their workplace? Why shouldn't they? 

When I worked at Waitrose, we got first dibs on reduced things and turkeys at Christmas (someone's got to make these middle class posts now Lokis gone) and the same when I worked at a major recruitment company and our clients would send in things (you should've seen the stampede when Ann Summers sent a box).

I go in a lot of charity shops (and help in one too when I can) as I collect shirts. They save them for me, and I pretty much take all of them (even the ones I dont want as they've been kind enough to keep them) but I also help them out as none of them know the value of any of the items I buy. I have to usually offer up, only by a couple of quid, I'm not Playstations-for-cleaners rich.

Once I helped them price up some signed boots (Theo Walcott, was never going to buy them obviously) and they were happy and I'm happy with my cheap Spain shirts.

Charity shops are the best. I've genuinely missed them since they've been shut.

*most. Sure some Joan's are dodgy.

For me its hugely different though, firstly Waitrose isn't a charity.

I used to go into my local charity at least once a week looking for football shirts, the same as you. Often whilst I'd be in there I ended up picking up something else whether or not they had any shirts I wanted.

Over time I went months and months without any decent shirts being in and I stopped going in meaning I now wasn't in there to buy the other stuff I had been picking up. 

In retail "loss leaders" are a key tactic, an attractive product often sold at a loss brings feet through the door and in turn once within the store they spend money on other things.

The same principle applies and if stuff is being cherry picked or held aside for one person its bad business for the charity whose overall goal is to make the most amount of money for said charity possible.

For absolute clarity Im not saying cherry picking/holding things aside is immoral, thats just bad business. Its only if people are pricing things deliberately low and buying it themselves that I believe to be immoral.

1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

For me its hugely different though, firstly Waitrose isn't a charity.

I used to go into my local charity at least once a week looking for football shirts, the same as you. Often whilst I'd be in there I ended up picking up something else whether or not they had any shirts I wanted.

Over time I went months and months without any decent shirts being in and I stopped going in meaning I now wasn't in there to buy the other stuff I had been picking up. 

In retail "loss leaders" are a key tactic, an attractive product often sold at a loss brings feet through the door and in turn once within the store they spend money on other things.

The same principle applies and if stuff is being cherry picked or held aside for one person its bad business for the charity whose overall goal is to make the most amount of money for said charity possible.

For absolute clarity Im not saying cherry picking/holding things aside is immoral, thats just bad business. Its only if people are pricing things deliberately low and buying it themselves that I believe to be immoral.

These shops thrive on regular customers and their connections to them. For example we had a lovely old fella called Kev. He would come in everyday, buy a DVD for a quid and chat to me about the football for 20 minutes. He was a die hard Liverpool fan but followed everything, and would chat to me about how Blackburn Rovers were doing. Everyone in the shop loved him. Whenever any good Liverpool memorabilia came in, we would put it aside for him. He didn't ask us too. We just knew he would cherish it. In the shops SuperBacon goes to I bet whenever a football shirt comes in they are like "put this away for the nice bloke who loves football shirts". Thats what good charity shops do.

If the ones you goto don't have football shirts anymore its not a guarantee they are being bought by staff. Maybe the people who were donating them regually have stopped. Maybe there is other football fans buying them as soon as they are put out for sale. The staff in these places tend to be pretty friendly maybe you could have said I really love buying football shirts is it possible you could put some aside if any come in ?

I think you really should bare in mind as well these people are volunteers giving up massive amounts of time and effort to work for a charity. I remember getting fucked off after putting 50 hours work in a week for free, then some knobhead comes in the shop going "they keep all the good stuff for themselves". 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

In the shops SuperBacon goes to I bet whenever a football shirt comes in they are like "put this away for the nice bloke who loves football shirts". Thats what good charity shops do.

Debatable.

1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

If the ones you goto don't have football shirts anymore its not a guarantee they are being bought by staff. Maybe the people who were donating them regually have stopped. Maybe there is other football fans buying them as soon as they are put out for sale. The staff in these places tend to be pretty friendly maybe you could have said I really love buying football shirts is it possible you could put some aside if any come in ?

They definitely will. I have 4 shops that I go in regularly and they all keep them aside. I think they appreciate it as well, as like I said earlier I take all of them even if I don't really want them, as I feel appreciative that they've kept them. The one's I don't keep go here https://kitaid.net/ once I've amassed enough to send on, but there are a few similar charities if you so wish to give.

One of the staff members was sceptical when I first asked them if they could keep them aside and asked if I sold them on, as she heard they were quite valuable and I told her I don't, I'm just a weirdo who likes football shirts. But I did talk to her about the value and gave her some tips on what tags to look out for etc.

One guy once came out of the back whilst I was in there and was apologising profusely as he'd accidentally put one out and sold it, bless him. It was fine I assured him as it was just a Fulham shirt. If it had been a 1988 Holland, I might have dropped them there and then. I'm semi joking.

But if they put them out and sell them, I'm not massively bothered. They're there to make money for a charity, not keep me equipped for 7 a side. 

But most volunteers are lovely. They know my youngest loves elephants and will save any plush/soft toy for her, and once even gave her a telescope because they'd heard her mention she wanted one whilst we were in there.

I also think it's important that you take the time to speak to them (but of course you don't have to if you don't want to) as they're mostly volunteers and appreciate a good chat.

Like anything in life, just be polite innit? I should probably go back to the kit thread now.

• 9 months later...
  • Paid Members

Ah the Asylum. They've not half put out some interestingly titled knock-offs of huge Hollywood blockbusters (Transmorphers and some sequels to name one), then they lucked into Sharknado.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

The kid's version (The Eels on the Bus) was fairly decent, too.

All day long.