Charity Shop Gems

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

And lastly, one of the weirdest finds possible:

My own band's album!

Except it's not. We think it's one of a number of concepts that an artist put together for us and then didn't use, and it somehow ended up in the RSPCA shop with a Stone Temple Pilots CD in it. Either way, none of the band had ever seen this before.

ch5.jpg

• Paid Members

There's one at our local tip, anything for the dump but not really junk goes there. It makes any trip twice as long as it should.

Best in charity shops for me though was always Beano annuals. I'd regularly find them from the 60's & 70's to add to the collection. These days the ones I need are too old to crop up any more but for a while I'd often get a good quality missing year for a bargain price.

While not quite a charity shop I also used to go once a month to a flea market where I bought giant nutcracker from the 60s.

DSC_0344.JPG

• Paid Members

@Tommy!We have one of those giant nut-cracker statues too, you find them (and loads more!) at the permanently open Christmas shop in Stratford-Upon-Avon. We buy at least one ornament from there whenever we're in the area.

My personal best finds were a multi-tape audio book collection boxset of Lord Of The Rings (£1) and a massive, screen-printed and wooden-framed Star Wars poster (£5).

There's a street near us that has seven charity shops and a greasy spoon. It's a perfect morning outing.

• Paid Members

This 1938 Imperial Good Companion typewriter was in my local Oxfam for £15.  It was in pretty good working order (once I ordered new ribbons, etc) and oiled the mechanisms a little. It's difficult to get across in the picture, but it was in REALLY good condition visually. The casing is outright shiny and clean. Absolutely beautiful thing, and worth almost 10 times what I paid for it. I've used it as a prop in a short film, and will have to do so again.

DJJbvFSXgAA22FU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by Chris B

The amount of money I've spent on books in charity shops they should have cured world hunger by now. Love them. My favourite ever find was a signed THE MOONS A BALLOON by David Niven in a MIND in Kensington.

Also, I'm a sucker for buying the same book again and again with different cover. You get some beauties in charity shops.

Also a big exponent of buying awful ties.