Holidays Thread : Where you off to?

RancidPunx

-

12 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

My top tips:

- If you want to go to big touristy places like the Colosseum, book in advance and try to go first thing, it's just that tiny bit quieter and cooler. I can't remember where we booked our tickets from (might have been Viator) but you got a free audioguide download with your ticket which is easier than trying to read labels past the crowds.

- If art's your thing the Vatican is overwhelming. There's so much everything there. It's beautiful. And it's packed. We booked a 'skip-the-line' tour in advance (this was definitely through Viator) which bypassed some of that, but even a three hour tour means you only get a cursory glance at a lot of the stuff. It probably needs a full day to do properly, and we probably should have, but it's SO BUSY you'd probably want to get out of there after a while anyway. If you do the Sistine Chapel, try not to get distracted by the cat and mouse game between the security guards and the tourists desperately trying to sneak photos.

- The Spanish Steps are also very busy, but just next to them is the Keats-Shelley House, a tiny museum in the apartment where Keats spent his final days. You have to buzz the buzzer to get in, but it's quiet and contemplative and interesting if you're into Romanticism (Byron pops up as well). It's all English-language too. It won't take more than an hour, but it might be my favourite thing to do in Rome (other than, by sheer happenstance, bumping into Charles Giordano from the E Street Band near the Trevi Fountain. I SHOOK THE HAND THAT'S SHAKEN SPRINGSTEEN'S).

- Find Giolitti for gelato. The best in Italy.

- Keep an eye on the street sellers. They know the weather before anyone else. If they start switching from selfie sticks or whatever the on-trend thing is right now to umbrellas and ponchos, it's about to start raining. Also it's funny when the police catch them scamming someone somewhere they shouldn't and they leg it faster than anyone you've ever seen before sneaking back ten minutes later.

Definitely book in advance for the Colosseum, the lines were huge but we got to skip to a smaller line. They'll be tour guide kind of people buzzing around who need an extra fee. Unless you really want to bounce off someone in conversation the audio guides are fine. I would also consider booking to go to the extra bits of the building, we left it too late and couldn't. I can't remember the names but there's the extra tour where you get to stand right on a new floor in the middle of the Colosseum which looked awesome and I think go down underneath. Then there is the one on top of that where you can go right up to the top gallery, that doesn't look so interesting through but I was sore about not getting to go underneath etc.

If you are going to day trip to Florence or Naples on the fast train then book in advance as it's almost 100 Euros on the day.

Speaking of the Spanish steps at the bottom the little alley to the metro station has a lovelly cheap gelato place better service and a lot cheaper than the one opposite the steps.

We also really enjoyed Castel St Angelo, great city views and an interesting enough building to wonder around.

Off on my annual motorbike trip around Vietnam again tomorrow, looking forward to some mountain driving as always but a little afraid of being screwed over on accommodation as it's the Lunar new year and hotels take your booking then decide to shut or sell the room to an on the spot arrival willing to pay 3 or 4 times the price. Packed a back up hammock just incase I get caught out.

Then off to Bali in March if anyone has any recommendations.

• Paid Members

Well bloody hell, big thanks @HarmonicGenerator and @simonworden! Excellent stuff! I'll definitely be booking all those tours and attractions in advance then. It's probably silly not to visit the Vatican but it does sound like a massive ball ache.

I'm hoping to eat my bodyweight in gelato, pizza and calzone whilst I'm there too.

• Paid Members
On 1/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, SuperBacon said:

@Accident Prone only ever stayed in Naples and been to Rome for the day, but I would advise trying to see Roma play. The Stadio Olimpico is an iconic stadium and with Serie A attendances dwindling, you shouldn’t have a problem getting tickets.

Don’t see Lazio though as fuck them.

I think I'll have some trouble convincing the missus to go to a footy game, but it's worth a shot! I'll monitor the situation when we're half cut and browsing ticket re-selling sites.

• 2 years later...
  • Paid Members
12 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Sorry to bump an old thread but, if I was looking at a weekend in London, ideally based somewhere I could get in and out of Camden on a Friday night without much hassle, where would people recommend?

Ideally somewhere on the night tube route unless you want to leave around 23:00 to get a train out of the centre. Staying somewhere like Romford will save you loads on a hotel, and will only add about 25 minutes on to your overall journey. But if you want less travel and willing to throw some extra money at it, I’ll often look on sites like Expedia and bookings.com to get a closer hotel. Always read the reviews though!

• Paid Members

You can get pretty reasonable rates for Travelodge/Premier Inn if you're on a good line. For example Walthamstow is only 20 mins on the tube from central, and the hotels are much, much cheaper than say Kings X or Finsbury Park.

There's a Premier Inn in Archway that's normally pretty cheap and only 3 stops from Camden on the tube. 

Short answer, do some research on where is local to tube stations and how far you're willing to travel. 

• Paid Members

Thanks chaps, I've not been to London in about 15 years and know little of what's doable on the transport routes. 

From a look at the suggestions I think it's going to be too costly, being December, whatever I try to sneak in this last minute event but I'll plan in for a long weekend round the pubs next year.

• Paid Members

Premier Inn in Archway is a good shout. Even if you miss the tube there’s the N20 night bus that’s only about 15mins. Also central for anything else you might want to do while you’re there.

There’s a Travelodge in Finsbury Park as well which again is close to the tube and on the N29 bus route.

Edited by Monkee

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Got some trips lined up next year and would appreciate recommendations for those who know and/or have been to Malahide, Derry and Munich. 

The Malahide and Derry visits are relatively short so good boozers and places to eat will do, but for Munich we’re doing nearly a week so would be good to hear of lesser-known/non-commercial places to see and do.

I know Trip Advisor exists, but I’ve had a few great travel recommendations on here over the years that have led to really good experiences.

Ta.

42 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Munich we’re doing nearly a week so would be good to hear of lesser-known/non-commercial places to see and do.

Been a fair few years since I've been but Bratwurstherzl was my favourite place to eat. Not too touristy and enough sausage to fill you up (ooooo eeeeer) for the day.

Holy Ghost Church is decent, albeit brief. I love a church though, so I thought it was great.

There was also a cafe that did one of the strongest coffees I've ever had, I was genuinely seeing spots all day, so if you love a coffee like me, you'll want to go.

Can't for the life of me remember what it's called though, will text the ex and ask for you.

Need to get back. Berlin and Munich are two of my favourite cities.

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Been a fair few years since I've been but Bratwurstherzl was my favourite place to eat. Not too touristy and enough sausage to fill you up (ooooo eeeeer) for the day.

Holy Ghost Church is decent, albeit brief. I love a church though, so I thought it was great.

There was also a cafe that did one of the strongest coffees I've ever had, I was genuinely seeing spots all day, so if you love a coffee like me, you'll want to go.

Can't for the life of me remember what it's called though, will text the ex and ask for you.

Need to get back. Berlin and Munich are two of my favourite cities.

Top man, cheers bud. I’d definitely appreciate the name of the coffee place if you can sort it as I like a good kick to start the day!

Funny you mentioned Berlin as I was meant to be there right now, but the stag got Covid on Tuesday so we potted it. Gutted; went there in the summer and fell in love with the place.