The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

40 minutes ago, Duke said:

Anyway, this does make you wonder, what would the plan be if Punk didn't get injured? Presumably Rock was always coming back and therefore Cody would've always chosen Seth? So that mania main event was never coming?

Unless I missed it, he didn’t say he was going after Seth. Which makes me wonder if we’re getting that match at Elimination Chamber or somewhere else, making Rock/Roman non-title? Why have Cody win the Rumble only to do this? What was the plan if Punk didn’t get injured? Was Cody going to keep his title shot on reserve? Was Seth/Punk never on the cards?

If Seth held the WWE title, and Roman the Universal title, this might feel less shit, I don’t know. But this is a title that has no lineage or importance; a title that’ll disappear as soon as they want to unify the belts again. It’s a pretend reign with a pretend title, nothing more, nothing less. 

If this isn’t a misdirect - and if it is, it’s a stupid thing to do - this is such a short-sighted decision. I’m really disappointed. I don’t typically like people shitting over matches, but I hope people make their voices heard in the coming weeks.

• Paid Members

"I am more CM Punk thank you"

Well Cody is now at least as CM Punk as Punk. Let's be honest this is shite, Rock looked like he blew up walking out on to the stage, but this is not about wrestling. This is about trying to change the story not finish it so that when someone searches WWE on Google they get stories about Rock returning rather than the lurid descriptions of an old man's criminal nature. This is the WWE version of Boris claiming to paint buses on wine boxes, and I don't mean Zhukov. This is probably the best shot at that, but it is ironic that they've fucked Cody while trying to cover everything Vince has fucked. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Unless I missed it, he didn’t say he was going after Seth. Which makes me wonder if we’re getting that match at Elimination Chamber or somewhere else, making Rock/Roman non-title? Why have Cody win the Rumble only to do this? What was the plan if Punk didn’t get injured? Was Cody going to keep his title shot on reserve? Was Seth/Punk never on the cards?

If Seth held the WWE title, and Roman the Universal title, this might feel less shit, I don’t know. But this is a title that has no lineage or importance; a title that’ll disappear as soon as they want to unify the belts again. It’s a pretend reign with a pretend title, nothing more, nothing less. 

If this isn’t a misdirect - and if it is, it’s a stupid thing to do - this is such a short-sighted decision. I’m really disappointed. I don’t typically like people shitting over matches, but I hope people make their voices heard in the coming weeks.

Romans not booked for the chamber, so I wouldn't expect it,  but plans can of course change. According to Meltz they pivoted toward Rock for Mania after the Vince news kept getting worse and Punk got injured, and Rock was going to challenge Roman later in the year.

If that's true, it's explains this show really well, as they wanted to get Rock v Roman on the agenda really quickly so they hot shotted it.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this is designed to try to get mainstream news headlines for WWE that aren’t about Vince McMahon. You won’t displace them entirely, but it gives them something that they might be happy with.

Otherwise, why do it like that? Winning the Rumble would have involved minimal work from Rock, so why not take that approach? Don’t tease fans with what they actually want to see, then pull the rug out. 

It makes Cody look like an idiot too. He holds all the cards, but chooses to hand them over to the bigger boy. So deflating.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as @Duke - cheers for the added context, which seems pretty plausible.

Edited by RedRooster

Here's a hypothetical, assuming they've done this to cover up Vince's transgressions (to put it lightly) and generate some positive spin. With that "not at Wrestlemania" bit from Cody, there's a chance they've got Roman on the bill at the chamber and do the switch to Cody there. Apart from the rubber chicken, who could face Cody in that consolation prize situation in a midcard match at the big show?

• Paid Members

I’m guessing they’re petrified of accidentally turning Rock so rather than have him win the Rumble etc they got Cody to hand him Wrestlemania on a silver platter. It’s what Cody wants! Corkhill.gif

Obviously there’s a risk of injury, but the fuckers could still have had Rock wrestler at ‘Mania, and had Roman/Cody take place. Rock/Logan Paul, Rock/McIntyre, Rock/Nakamura, Rock/Gunther, Rock squashing Theory - it wouldn’t have to be a blockbuster (though Rock/Logan Paul would generate a lot of headlines) - just a warm up before Rock takes on Roman to prove he’s the true head of the table. 

Such a deflating decision. I don’t think this will bite them like Batista did ahead of Wrestlemania 30, but on the 10-year anniversary of that decision, it would be so appropriate if it did.

Pathetic.

I hope The Rock gets booed out of the building.

Genuinely not interested in Mania now. Punkys out hurt, Cody's going after the fourth most prestigious title and a 50 year old sweaty egg is main eventing.

Phil didn't cry for this.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by d-d-d-dAz