The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

I'm not going to bother appraising the more standard, promotional parts of the show for obvious reasons so I'll just say I think they done a great job with that, as a whole. It's fine if people want it, and it would have been fine if they done it, but I don't think WWE have to do these copy-paste Eddie style two hours where everything just stops. 

Wrestling's a weird roadshow and last night really was the perfect blend of doing fitting tributes and threading them in throughout the more ordinary segments. 

Only seen the 10 bell salute with Cole’s intro and snippets of Cody and Knight’s promos and have a proper lump in the throat

Seen a lot of criticism for the tag match though, calling it an insult to Funk and AEW would have done it better, without the understanding that Kentucky’s Athletic Commission looks down on blood and the show airs on Fox so had they gone against that to have an ECW style blood fest it would have caused an almighty shitstorm

2 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Only seen the 10 bell salute with Cole’s intro and snippets of Cody and Knight’s promos and have a proper lump in the throat

Seen a lot of criticism for the tag match though, calling it an insult to Funk and AEW would have done it better, without the understanding that Kentucky’s Athletic Commission looks down on blood and the show airs on Fox so had they gone against that to have an ECW style blood fest it would have caused an almighty shitstorm

The only people who’d consider it an insult are the sort of emotionally deadened morons you get on Twitter who are quick to outrage and slow to genuine humanity. Fuck em. Cunts. Absolute cess pit.

• Paid Members

You assume John Cena is back full-time because the writer and actor strike has left him with very little to do in Hollywood.

I wonder if the strike is what finally gets The Rock to come in for the Roman match. Fuck else is he gonna be doing if this thing continues into next year?

Anyway, Street Prophets look the business in suits and Charlotte Flair is rubbish. Her run in where she, “kicked the belt,” out of Io’s hand was so crap.

Edited by Supremo

Keep your Samson and Delilah cobblers, I want to meet the magician who cut John Cena’s hair. Slight trim round the back and sides and suddenly it’s 2006 again and I want to be John Cena all over again. Hustle, Loyalty, Deep fades.

Sticking Jimmy in the ring with Cena was unfair. Like chucking a hot dog in with a T-Bone. I don’t even care that Cena has been waiting for 3 years to tell Jimmy Uso about something that happened 3 weeks ago.

Never in the history of wrestling has a win over a superstar at Mania done less for someone than Austin Theory’s win over John Cena. Complete waste.

Interested to know what Cody’s ‘huge news’ is. Given how quickly he was removed from the Judgment Day angle on Monday’s, part of me wonders whether he’s got an injury. If not, I wonder if they find a way of transitioning to Cody/Cena. I don’t know if Cody survives that, though. I imagine cutting Cena would really get to the heart of Cody’s silliness, to the point where people realise you don’t actually need to say “I indubitably posit that thou must accept my postulation of a grappling dual this very Sunday eve!” and you actually can just say “I want a match this Sunday.”

Still, good for the WWE that big match John is back as the Bloodline stuff is ICE cold.  Could not care less. Dickheads.

Surely this new Lashley stable is the thing that eventually leads to a Montez Ford singles push of some description. He still looks the bollocks. Though, to be fair, he was fucking horrendous on the mic here. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Keep your Samson and Delilah cobblers, I want to meet the magician who cut John Cena’s hair. Slight trim round the back and sides and suddenly it’s 2006 again and I want to be John Cena all over again. Hustle, Loyalty, Deep fades.

I dunno, he's hanging on.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 112131.png

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

In Vacation Friends 2 he goes for a slightly "wacky" sticky up job which looks far, far better for his loss of hair. No idea why he doesn't just have it full time.

LA Knight is evidence they have no idea how to book a face. Those reactions will die soon if he continues the “do you know how hard I’ve worked” patter and the crap jokes that they have tried with every other failed project. They seem to lose all semblance of what made someone popular whenever it happens.

Smackdowns a bit of a chore.

In general, my issue with the WWE is that once they think they’ve got a hot hand they’ll cover the shows with it so they become unwatchable if you’re not into it. It was fine when it was the Bloodline, and that was hot, but now the Bloodline is ice cold and the Judgment Day are rubbish.

I’ve nearly always thought the Judgment Day were rubbish. I enjoyed them for a second when they became slightly goofy and silly for a bit, wearing bucket hats and pissing around in race cars, but I just can’t have them as a serious main event act. Damian Priest dresses like a nan who’s paid to spank businessmen.

I couldn’t care less about the Jimmy Uso stuff. It makes absolutely zero sense, especially after his justification for screwing Jey was ‘Roman is such a cunt, I couldn’t let you be like him.’

Cold as ice. Fuck off.

LA Knight is still over as anything, but it’s a shame he has to muck around with midcard comedy acts. Grayson Waller and Theory completely sucked the life out of that segment. It feels like they’re maybe moving towards Miz/Theory w/Waller vs Cena/Knight, which feels like a bit of a waste of Cena’s time, when they could have just done Cena/Knight.

Nevermind. AJ Styles is still good, at least.

It’s absolutely wild that this company has kept Cody Rhodes off TV for a few weeks with nothing to do, when so little of genuine quality or substance is happening.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I know it's sorta reductive reasoning but I was going to go through some of the highlights this morning and saw one of the YouTube thumbnails - "Paul Heyman questions Jimmy Uso's loyalty" - and it just sucked the life out of me. 

1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

LA Knight has pulled me balls deep back into watching wrestling every week again. 

I'm 43.

Me too, back into watching a bit of WWE anyway.

It’s an interesting one - if you made the perfect WWE wrestler in an alchemical experiment they’d be a lot like Knight.  He wrestles the WWE main event style, he’s got the superstar look, he’s charismatic and he has that indefinable “it”.

Unlike other fan-led pushes he’s not some quirky project, so really they’ve no reason to not get behind him.

If between now and WM is about a huge LA Knight push it could make for some great tv.

• Paid Members

As the Bloodline slowly swirls down the toilet, LA Knight is the most interesting and exciting thing in the whole promotion.

A real sense of pride recently when I heard my son reply to his mum with an La Knight, "YUUUEAH!" when she suggested a chippy tea.