The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I genuinely don't care now who wins and gets Seth in the raw title match as long as it's not drew. 

im so very sad wade barrett GIF

1 hour ago, MVP RULZ said:

Erik has been on the shelf since around Septmeber/October time, think it was neck and spinal injuries and he had surgery ruling him out for an indefinite timeframe but the general consensus seemed to be up to 9 months at least

Since then Ivar has been a singles competitor to some moderate success, carried on the rivalry with New Day before moving into a beefy rivalry with Bronson Reed which had a couple of decent matches, one ended up in just brawling around the arena.

Currently been feuding with Alpha Academy on Raw 

Yes Valhalla is still with him, they had a mixed Tag this past week on Raw beating Tozawa and Maxxine Dupri easily in a couple of minutes.

He’s been really impressive too.  I honestly think he should stay as a singles competitor, the guy is such a beast.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

Erik has been on the shelf since around Septmeber/October time, think it was neck and spinal injuries and he had surgery ruling him out for an indefinite timeframe but the general consensus seemed to be up to 9 months at least

Since then Ivar has been a singles competitor to some moderate success, carried on the rivalry with New Day before moving into a beefy rivalry with Bronson Reed which had a couple of decent matches, one ended up in just brawling around the arena.

Currently been feuding with Alpha Academy on Raw 

Yes Valhalla is still with him, they had a mixed Tag this past week on Raw beating Tozawa and Maxxine Dupri easily in a couple of minutes.

I can’t buy into them since learning they live the gimmick and Valhalla has shared her racist views on her socials before via the boogaloo boy movement.

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I can’t buy into them since learning they live the gimmick and Valhalla has shared her racist views on her socials before via the boogaloo boy movement.

Whilst I don't really have an opinion either way, it's Erik and Valhalla who seem like they might have strayed a little off the reservation. They go to viking re-enactments, seem to have strange views and Erik has some very questionable tattoos.

Ivar, outside of wrestling, just looks like he plays computer games and likes big sandwiches. Outside of sharing WWE stuff, his social output is just him and his wife either having nice holidays or rescuing dogs. He seems to be a pretty good egg.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Wasn’t massively blown away by HEEL ROCK.

It was okay, and obviously a million times better than what we could been getting if they hadn’t pivoted, but I dunno. Just felt like fan fiction. A tribute act. Like he and Gewirtz had binged his old heel promos on YouTube and just lifted their favourite stuff.

Maybe it’s just me, but promos and performances have moved on so massively that it feels phoney and borderline tragic to just rattle off some stuff from twenty odd years ago. Never has it been more obvious that Dwayne and Brian haven’t been watching your Eddie Kingstons, Sami Zayns or Hangman Adam Pages. Promos and characters are just different, now. Way better, too. Jazzy shirts and catchphrases doesn’t cut it anymore.

On the plus side, nice little shout out to Kenny Omega. Get well soon, Cleaner! Bang!

IMG_7678.jpeg.7cba6c252f9b439818a21ef83d36bc1a.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

Now I’m convinced that The Rock is infiltrating The Bloodline to take them down from the inside. That promo was so bullet pointy and pretty much everything you want from a heel Rock promo that it feels fake but as stated that is Rocky’s style and it sticks out a bit in the modern era. I won’t pretend that I wasn’t grinning like a loon though, always love The Rock using insults that my 6 year old would use on a crowd full of inbreds.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

on a crowd full of inbreds.

Given that they were in Utah, it’s highly possible that while they may not have been inbred, the crowd may have been born to a few hundred different mothers but like four dads.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Wasn’t massively blown away by HEEL ROCK.

It was okay, and obviously a million times better than what we could been getting if they hadn’t pivoted, but I dunno. Just felt like fan fiction. A tribute act. Like he and Gewirtz had binged his old heel promos on YouTube and just lifted their favourite stuff.

Maybe it’s just me, but promos and performances have moved on so massively that it feels phoney and borderline tragic to just rattle off some stuff from twenty odd years ago. Never has it been more obvious that Dwayne and Brian haven’t been watching your Eddie Kingstons, Sami Zayns or Hangman Adam Pages. Promos and characters are just different, now. Way better, too. Jazzy shirts and catchphrases doesn’t cut it anymore.

On the plus side, nice little shout out to Kenny Omega. Get well soon, Cleaner! Bang!

IMG_7678.jpeg.7cba6c252f9b439818a21ef83d36bc1a.jpeg

And weirdly that was exactly why I liked it. I'm not looking for The Rock to come back and have a long run and reinvent the wheel and become 2024's biggest star. He doesn't need to. There's no longevity here. Pop in. Do your old school stuff. Dip into some things you haven't in a while then disappear again. It's all good. He's a guest character in an ongoing story.

As long as he leaves it in a good place and achieves whatever he's looking to do - hopefully get Cody over even more and leave as champ - then we'll just have a fun few weeks and that's that.

I wouldn't say it's tragic. You'd get people complaining if he came in and DIDN'T do the greatest hits. Let's wait and see if he's making himself bleed by calling 5 people in a sports hall a jabroni before we start calling him tragic.

I liked Rocks promo as a start, it's making it clear he's here as a heel now without giving much more away in storyline development. I can remember his transition to Hollywood Rock in 2003 didn't happen in one night, it was a transformation over a few weeks so I'm hoping the character changes develop more over the next few weeks into a more modern character and traits. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Now I’m convinced that The Rock is infiltrating The Bloodline to take them down from the inside.

I've wondered if this is where they've been going since the pivot at the press conference.

Cody takes the belt, Rock destroys The Bloodline from within, the next night on Raw Cody points out how through this clever ruse he's paid off on his promise to take everything from Roman.

Reigns vs Rock at Summerslam. 

It was okay - which is what I’m finding most Triple H shows just now. I get long term storytelling and subtle hints is his thing and it absolutely needs to be but you need to balance that. Right now, it feels like nothing really happens because he progresses things so slowly week to week. If you want a wrestling show, it’s all good but it you want to be sports entertained like some of us do then it can be a bit boring.

That’s not to say shows in general aren’t worth a watch but move something along once in a while. 

Cody gave a big speech on RAW for example but then doesn’t bother showing up knowing The Rock and Roman are advertised. Even just a token out at the end, stands on the ramp and not saying a word while The Bloodline pose would have been better but they obviously wanted that hard cam Bloodline pose. 

The Elimination Chamber also feels like it’s getting in the way a bit which probably adds to the slowness. 

Another watchable but missable SmackDown for me.

I get that it's cynical Rock/Gerwitz appeasement writing but heel Rock ain't a gift horse I'm going to look in the mouth. You can get away with so much more with a heel presentation, even if the fans wind up cheering it anyway. Rock's hokey, derivative, outdated and it's now a part of the act. Miles better. I'm actually happy he's a part of the show now. 

Really enjoyed The Rock's promo.  I disagree that promos have moved on - his timing, his ability to rile up the crowd, off-the-cuff insults, it's all still better than most out there.  At least he's not whining about shoot bollocks like Darby Allin.

Breakker is officially Smackdown, I assume his push will start post-Wrestlemania.  Good match from Tiffany Stratton and Selina Vega as well, Stratton is still green but massive upside.  Cargill sighting as well for all the Jade stans.  Decent show.

• Paid Members

I guess the lame Dad character, saying stuff that used to be cool twenty years ago, works better if it’s all a ruse for Rock to eventually turn on Roman. Supposedly he was staring at Roman when he was saying he was going to “make sure you leave Wrestlemania as the loser.” Cute, if intentional. I just hoped for something a bit more exciting than the greatest hits. Whatever you think of The Bloodline in 2024, Roman is still the coolest man in the company. It felt super jarring having someone so uncool standing next to him as his equal.

Rock and Roman have to show up at Elimination Chamber to challenge Seth and Cody, right? Feels like the Australians are getting massively ripped off if they don’t get a big moment like that. It’s a pretty shit card considering the size of the event.

Logan Paul busting out even more Hangman spots. Adam Page is clearly Logan’s favourite wrestler. Good taste.