Wrestling misremembered

rollthedice

Ive been toying with this idea for a topic for a few days and then I just used the word in my reply to Ricks Great UKFF Mania Survey and figured what the heck go for it.

Ive been a wrestling fan since 1990 when I was 4 years old and my oldest brother introduced me to the Wrestlemania 4 double VHS. I like to think my memory is tip top for all 90s/early 2000s graps but there are things that ive misremembered, for example, I always had it in my head that Jerry Lawler debuted in the WWF at the 93 KOTR ruining Brets coronation. Ofcourse he didnt, he was even in that years Rumble which I watched at the time.

Another is that I thought the build up to Austin/Rock at Mania 17 was brilliant based upon my memory of the Limp Bizkit hype video. It was only when someone on here a few years back put me straight and reminded me of the horrible angle with Debra being in Rocks corner that i realised how shady my memory was.

Anyone else have similar recollections or is it just me?

• Paid Members

In 1996, I was convinced that the WWF had a tag team of identical twin sumo wrestlers.

I only watched B-shows and highlight packages, so didn't have much of a clue about PPVs, or the goings on at the top of the card - one of my favourite wrestlers as a kid was Duke Droese - and must have seen a clipped/highlight reel of the '96 Royal Rumble, and conflated Yokozuna with the Headhunters.

I remembered there being identical twins, and had it in my head that they did a lengthy routine around one being eliminated as the other one entered, and the referee not being able to tell which was which, so them both getting back in. In reality, this went on for barely a couple of minutes, but I was convinced it was a focal point of the match. Because Yokozuna was in the ring at the time, I also seemingly lumped him in with them in my memory and remembered them as a pair of identical sumo wrestlers.

that's the Headhunters you are thinking of. 

39 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

There was that fat tag team of twins, cant remember their name, Gedonand Jedo or something, think they appeared a few times and at the 97 Royal Rumble, maybe thats were that thought comes from.

• Awards Moderator

Relating to a point @BomberPat made in the Survey thread, I was certain that everyone I saw on WWF Metal was a bonafide WWF wrestler. I didn't know what jobbers were, nor that they weren't part of the company. To my mind, the semi-regular appearances of the likes of Bobby Roode and Arch Kincaid were just as valid as anyone else.

There's also one I probably completely misremember - Julio Fantastico. I'm led to believe now that he went on / was simultaneously Julio Dinero of ECW/TNA fame, but they don't look similar at all in my mind. Fantastico, to me, was a high-flyer with floppy hair, and looked more like Tony Mamaluke of ECW/ROH fame. Who am I remembering here?

• Paid Members

My first wrestling memory is something I must have misremembered as it doesn't sound like anything I am aware of. It was around 1990-91, my friend had just got cable. I was about 5. We watched a match or an angle where someone who looked like Sid was wearing a gold cape and was strangling someone else who also had bleach blonde hair and was wearing a silver cape. It didn't seem like it was WWF or WCW. I would dearly love to be able to pin point what this was, but it's so vague and probably wrong I think it would be impossible. 

• Paid Members

The most infamously misremembered wrestling moment has to be HBK superkicking Jannetty through the Barbershop window, no?

Also, that Austin's KOTR 96 promo led to an immediate hot run where he rocketed to the main event.

4 minutes ago, gmoney said:

My first wrestling memory is something I must have misremembered as it doesn't sound like anything I am aware of. It was around 1990-91, my friend had just got cable. I was about 5. We watched a match or an angle where someone who looked like Sid was wearing a gold cape and was strangling someone else who also had bleach blonde hair and was wearing a silver cape. It didn't seem like it was WWF or WCW. I would dearly love to be able to pin point what this was, but it's so vague and probably wrong I think it would be impossible. 

Was this The Great and Powerful Oz? 

9d8d18263a1c6e3d9eec7b037c05414b.jpg

Archived