Talk show segments

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

With news that Alexa Bliss will be hosting her own 'talk show' on Raw next week - the first female-fronted one in WWE history, says WWE.com! - let's talk about this strange little part of WWE lore.

It started in the times of classic WWE. Piper's Pit was the big one, but you had the Barber Shop, the Funeral Parlor, loads of people had their own talk show. They usually had their own little set for it as well.

19840328_piperpit_snuka--312b4726ebe82bf2389b2731f9738539.jpg

Then they took a break. I don't remember anyone having one in the Attitude Era. Piper came back in 2003 and so did the Pit, but now it was in the ring because everything had to happen in the ring but they did change the logo in the bottom corner which was a nice touch.

x1080-luU.jpg

Jericho then got the Highlight Reel which began with all kinds of fancy deckings before being stripped back every time it returned. 

Then the likes of Edge, and Christian, and The Miz ... 

These days it seems it's basically your standard in-ring promo segment except there's a couple of high-legged chairs in there as well.

How do you feel about these segments? Are they worthless now, compared to the late 80s/early 90s? Or were they always shit? Or do you still think they're great? Is the whole idea of a 'talk show' obsolete?

For me, the way they do them at the moment just feels like a lack of effort. Can't think of an interesting segment? Miz TV! They don't tend to offer anything memorable - at least for me.

But you'd think with the Network and their YouTube channels there's opportunity there. Loads of people could have their own little show with their own unique 'studio' and tie it into current angles and storylines.

Imagine Bray Wyatt, lounging on his rocking chair. "Welcome to another episode of The Compound. Joining me tonight by the lantern light is Drew McIntyre. Now Drew, how do you feel about..."

• Paid Members

Didn't Carlito have his own version? Carlito's Cabana? Remember thinking they were starting to saturate at the time, as I don't think it was too long after the Highlight Reel. 

I think Dream could use that sort of segment well on the main roster, give it a similar vibe to the Dude Love set on the stage. They are all too much of the same thing now and don't really add anything so it'd only work if they were willing to put some proper effort in to creative for it.

I hate myself for it but I would totally watch Ride Along meets Carpool Karaoke hosted by Elias.

• Paid Members

Absolutely love them. My favourite was the funeral parlour. Undertaker hiding in a coffin ready to pounce etc. Paul was a crap interviewer, but the concept and set design was ace.

The Barber shop was up there for me too and featured the best turn in wrestling history.

Jericho had his in recent years and it was usually the highlight of the show.

When (if) they split the New Day up, I think Woods is born for the role of mouth piece. I could see him having an arcade set.

• Paid Members

51 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

With news that Alexa Bliss will be hosting her own 'talk show' on Raw next week - the first female-fronted one in WWE history, says WWE.com! - let's talk about this strange little part of WWE lore.

Didn't Missy Hyatt have a short lived talk show?

I'm a bit young to remember the proper Piper's Pit, but I was always a big fan of Mean Gene's podium interviews. While not a talk show per-se, it had a different feel to your usual backstage interviews as it was held in the arena itself.

• Paid Members

Historically love them but the recent ones are all absolutely shit. If you are not going to go to the trouble of building a set backstage and instead fob us off with a bit of carpet and two chairs in the ring then you are not taking this seriously and you can get to fuck!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It started in the times of classic WWE. Piper's Pit was the big one, but you had the Barber Shop, the Funeral Parlor, loads of people had their own talk show. They usually had their own little set for it as well.

Don't forget The Brother Love Show. Featured some of the biggest moments in the WWF for ages - Boss Man turning babyface, Earthquake putting Hogan on the shelf, and of course, Zeus shouting "BEEFCAKE BARBER!"

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Not WWE, but I'm planning to search YouTube for footage of Kevin Sullivan's "Sullivan's Saloon" from WCW in 1991.

Didn't Terry Funk have one in 89 too? Seen some good bits of that.

Archived