Biggest busts

Jacko

Who for you where the biggest bust in history? For me it was Nakamura the way he was hyped up Ā andĀ apart from Sami Zayn at Nxt takeover he has been so disappointing to me, so who would you say could beĀ they was hyped up to you and failed or just generally terrible.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Naka's not even in the top 50 is he? His run has been disappointing but not a complete calamity. It's not Scott Steiner in 2003, for instance.

Most of the ex-WCW fells in WWE since 2001 have been a bust in one way or another. Despite his epic debut, Sting is a big one. That Mania match with Trips was bad enough but with the abysmal commentary track and crap finish, it was worse. Then he RIP'd his career in his next match.

Not a 'big' one but it popped into my brain the other night. What happened with Dan Matha? We got weeks of promos on NXT then he debuted only to get smashed by Joe. Didn't see him again until Greatest Royal Rumble. What was the point? What changed?

These things keep me awake!

• Paid Members
Just now, Brudaker said:

Not a 'big' one but it popped into my brain the other night. What happened with Dan Matha? We got weeks of promos on NXT then he debuted only to get smashed by Joe. Didn't see him again until Greatest Royal Rumble. What was the point? What changed?

I always assumed that was by design - around that time, NXT were really trying to subvert expectations about how TV worked; it wasn't too long after they did the first "beatdown after the copyright info" spot, and it was around the same time they had a match run the whole length of an episode, yet had announced other matches scheduled to take place on that show.

To hype up Dan Matha as a promising new rookie for weeks, only to have an angry Samoa Joe wreck their plans as part of his holding Regal to ransom seemed to fit that perfectly. I don't think Matha was ever intended for anything more than that, at that stage.

Ā 

Steiner in 2003 has to be one of the best shouts for this, surely? One of the true bonafide headliners of WCW, multi-time World Champion, comes in as an ill-suited babyface, wrestles an atrocious match against Triple H where he wears a US flag on his gear in Canada, and within a matter of months is feuding/teaming with TestĀ forever.Ā 

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, Brudaker said:

I really liked the bait-and-switch with him. He was used as a job guy to get Joe over. If he'd just been a nameless no-music already-in-the-ring guy on an episode of NXT TV, it'd have meant as much as whoever all those people Lars Sullivan has beaten were called. But toĀ build him up with vignettes and make him seem like he's their next project -Ā thenĀ have Joe squash him - made Joe look amazing. He destroyed their next project! The man's a nutcase! I thought it was a really clever way to subvert the trope of 'you get vignettes = you're a big deal'.

Ā 

Edit: Pat got there first.

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

I always assumed that was by design - around that time, NXT were really trying to subvert expectations about how TV worked; it wasn't too long after they did the first "beatdown after the copyright info" spot, and it was around the same time they had a match run the whole length of an episode, yet had announced other matches scheduled to take place on that show.

To hype up Dan Matha as a promising new rookie for weeks, only to have an angry Samoa Joe wreck their plans as part of his holding Regal to ransom seemed to fit that perfectly. I don't think Matha was ever intended for anything more than that, at that stage.

I think you're bang on! My real curiosity is why we've never seen him mentioned again outside of Greatest Royal Rumble, seems like a wasted chance to follow up on a unique story.

It's also quite depressing that NXT can put together better intro vignettes for people they have no real intention of introducing.Ā 

Braden Walker was a thing. Hyped up asĀ  a main eventer in TNA and nothing in WWE.

EC3 is a thing. Hyped up as a main eventer in TNA and nothing in WWE.

The Great Khali beat the Undertaker clean with one foot on his chestĀ  . . . then he ended up doing the Khali kiss cam. Sure he was horrible but he was so visually impressive when he came in. What a bust.

Archived