R.K.O.

tiger_rick

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, Loki said:

The guy has had the same, create-a-wrestler look for his entire career.  He never changes it up, never tweaks his character or look or tries something new.

I enjoyed when he came out for his Mania match with Rollins the other year wearing elbow pads, which he doesn’t usually do. It was like he’d turned up to the stadium, been told everyone else had got super special gear made, then just borrowed someone’s elbow pads to pay lip service to that concept. You’ve got to respect that level of not giving a shit.

These days, my reaction every time Randy comes out on Smackdown is honestly “oh yeah, Randy Orton exists!” I don’t love or hate the guy, he’s just there. And I don’t usually remember that until he walks out.

• Paid Members

He's an odd one - the likes of Rey Mysterio point to him as the wrestler to study to learn how to work, and there are things he's exceptionally good at; aside from just being incredibly crisp, he's great when working heel at slowing a match down to perfectly control the crowd's reaction. He takes his time with everything he does, and it adds so much.

In spite of knowing how good he is at all of this, I still find him the dullest wrestler to watch. Even if I've got my studying head on, I just can't get anything out of his matches, unless he's shoving a screwdriver in Jeff Hardy's ear. 

It always amazed me how, by and large, he remained popular while Cena was getting the "same old shit" fan backlash, when Orton really hadn't changed up his game in years, to a far greater extent than Cena. 

• Paid Members

There are not that many people who I think would have been a nailed on main event star in any era of wrestling, but Orton is one of them. Looks, size, ability to play heel or face and a style in the ring that enables a 20 year career without being totally fucked. 

Saying that, I'll always think of wasted potential. For every run like the Legend Killer or Legacy (which I really enjoyed), there is a year of interminably dull nothingness.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Supremo said:

I'd honestly struggle to name my five favourite matches of his.

Been thinking about this and you're right. I know that he's had a bunch of matches over the years that I really liked and I know he had matches with John Cena, Jeff Hardy and Triple H for starters that I thought were really good but he comes from this era of hundreds of matches with everybody and nothing is particularly memorable. The Foley match is a very obvious number one but after that, I'm really, really struggling. Did a bit of googling and he's had several matches with Edge that Meltzer rated 4 and a quarter stars but i can't remember any of them.

• Paid Members

His match vs Cena at Breaking Point 2009 is a personal favourite of mine and one of the most recent wrestling matches I bother to go back and watch occasionally. It's the I Quit match where he handcuffs Cena to the post and kicks the shit into him for about 20 mins.

Like most Orton matches at their best, it tells a fantastic story without either bloke killing themselves. The mannerism and selling from both men is top notch and it really gets over Orton's  viper character, when that meant something rather than being a meaningless nickname. Everything in that match has a purpose and it would definitely be in an Orton top 5 for me.

• Paid Members

He's the perfect heel, but he's boring as all toss once the bells goes so I lose interest very quickly. It feels like he loses all grasp on his character and mannerisms, and just falls back into old habits. If he were snappier in-ring and relied less on GRABBING A HOLD, BROTHER he'd quickly become the man I love to hate. Also seems like a right shit head in real life so he'll never make a great good guy for me either. He's a lost cause.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

His match vs Cena at Breaking Point 2009 is a personal favourite of mine and one of the most recent wrestling matches I bother to go back and watch occasionally. It's the I Quit match where he handcuffs Cena to the post and kicks the shit into him for about 20 mins.

Like most Orton matches at their best, it tells a fantastic story without either bloke killing themselves. The mannerism and selling from both men is top notch and it really gets over Orton's  viper character, when that meant something rather than being a meaningless nickname. Everything in that match has a purpose and it would definitely be in an Orton top 5 for me.

Yes. There are few matches in wrestling history I feel are unique and this was one - the only match I ever bought into one participant being capable of a psychotic episode. Compelling, easily my favourite match between them.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

There are not that many people who I think would have been a nailed on main event star in any era of wrestling, but Orton is one of them. Looks, size, ability to play heel or face and a style in the ring that enables a 20 year career without being totally fucked. 

Saying that, I'll always think of wasted potential. For every run like the Legend Killer or Legacy (which I really enjoyed), there is a year of interminably dull nothingness.

If only there had recently been a thread about which year of Orton was the best!

Archived