All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

So great that they were finally able to confirm Omega.

But the bit that's most interested me from Cody's interview was the focus on presenting the product as more sport that entertainment. I'm curious about how far that goes....is that how you target a different audience?

31 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

But the bit that's most interested me from Cody's interview was the focus on presenting the product as more sport that entertainment. I'm curious about how far that goes....is that how you target a different audience?

Ironic this is coming from a group of individuals that presented the penis druids on their first show and have done things like super-kicking children etc.
Still, if they are serious then good for them - I just like that it's the 'Hey its all fake and why should we take this seriously?' mob going down the 'we are going to present this stuff seriously' route.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Definitely not. At least, not a different audience that isn’t currently watching wrestling anyway.

Tenuous example: my other half watched the end of this week’s NXT UK with me (WALTER vs Coffey) and it is the least she has ever liked any wrestling she’s seen. She found all the chops hilarious because “all they’re doing is slapping each other” and didn’t buy into it in the slightest - her attitude was “if you want to look like you’re having an actual fight, just do actual fighting. If you’re doing wrestling you should be showy and flashy and do things you can’t see anywhere else”. She also took issue with how bland they both looked - wear bright colours and silly outfits, unless you look like The Rock - only then are boring trunks okay.

TL;DR trying to pretend it’s a legit sport even more than it does already isn’t going to attract her, and she’s a lot more forgiving of wrestling than most other non-fans.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

13 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I'm keen to know....is anybody going to be going to Double or Nothing?

Yes. If I can get a ticket....hotel reserved and flights picked out.

Edited by MPDTT

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I know, the concept of prestigious titles being saved for prestigious events has been constantly proven to be a flawed idea.

It has worked in that past but isn't the idea of AEW to be an alternative? Without PPV I don't get why cards still need to be loaded with title matches. I don't mind 9 title matches at Wrestlemania but 6 or 7 on every Network card is too much for me and plays a big part in everyone feeling like a mid-carder. Plus if you want to be family friendly presenting a show that kids might actually be able to watch that isn't four and a half hours long might help!

I am not a fan of the whole sports presentation in wrestling as it is entertainment rather than a sport but I don't see why your Cruiserweight or Tag Champion can't be a big enough star to headline a show when it clearly works in the UFC. Stars come in all shapes and sizes after all! A marquee title is still essential in wrestling but I think a product where the other titles are important and storylines are given a chance to breathe would be a good thing and I hope AEW does that.

• Paid Members

I was thinking about how I'd like this thing to look the other night and I have to say that setup for the presser nailed it. I really hope they reproduce that for their shows and don't just get lazy and rip of the WWF from 1998 like every fucker does - including WWE. I don't want a tron or a ramp. I want lights and pyro and smoke and neon.

I'd take the feel from boxing. I want music people have heard and can recognise and get into and not all nu-metal shit from 15 years ago.

When they talk about it being like a sport, I don't want that in ring, don't need legit rankings or weigh ins or any of that shit but there is loads you can take from Boxing and MMA around the presentation that works. E.g. The commentary team being pundits rather than shills. Post-match interviews to get across the thrill of winning. That sort of thing. This gave me a bit of hope that they get that.

It felt like WCW. In a good way.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, MPDTT said:

It probably won't. It'll be sports entertainment as we know it, the same product as WWE, ROH etc. But if they ram the word 'wrestling' down their fans throats often enough, they'll buy into it being somehow different and closer to a sport.

• Paid Members

I have slight trepidation with them keying which wrestlers hold actual power within the company. Leads me to believe that this 'alternative' is still going to have shitty authority figure angles, and if that's the case then I'll likely not stick around with the week-to-week.

• Paid Members

The most over thing on that All In show was Nick Magnus vs Cody Rhodes. A shite match, granted, but people were so into the result they wanted, because it was a serious affair. Imagine if that was two wrestlers with actual upside, instead of Magnus and Cody? You might actually make some stars then. I always found that funny. The most appealing thing with the most upside on that whole show was the one without any comedy or shitty spots. Just two guys going for a title that for one night had value due to the Dusty factor. Maybe we need to start losing the tampon angles and Joey Ryan bullshit, and get back to trying to get the matches over? Because I tell you what, no matter what happens at these rallies or one of shows that super fans fly out to, building week to week on a national TV show is miles different. I dont give a fuck how over you are, people get sick of anything if the shows are shite every week. Everything is all fresh and new as of right now. Give it 6 weeks of TV and if these wrestlers arent taking this shit seriously, you arent tuning in.

Look at the Broken Hardys. They were the hottest thing in the business. And by the end of it, they were in the worst drawing segments in Impact's history. They were a massive turn off. If they think they're going to challenge Vince with what they have now, they're fucking mental. You need new concepts, big stars, great production, very few mistakes, no technical issues, the shows timed out properly. If not, you wont keep or find an audience.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Look at the Broken Hardys. They were the hottest thing in the business. And by the end of it, they were in the worst drawing segments in Impact's history. 

Dont worry, they're not anymore!

If NXT and NXT UK weren't around AEWs talent pool would be much larger so I think all things considered, they are acquiring quite a solid roster of talent. Plus there's wrestlers under contract with ROH currently too like Marty who is part of The Elite and Flip who's buddies with them all.

I've read mixed things about Marty's contract, supposedly it's up in April, or August and there's a possibility if he's getting a good push in ROH he'll stay there or WWE come calling. Flip Gordon's deal is up in 2020 so that's quite a while til he becomes available but I think he'll join up with them down the line and that's something that they can work with storyline wise since he was a big part of the BTE storyline arc.

Kenny is a huge signing for them, but he'll need quality opponents to go up against otherwise he'll get stagnant. Jericho/Omega II should be fun, their match in New Japan was really good. I think Hangman has real star potential. Pac's promo work has improved a lot too and that match along with Y2J and Kenny is of most interest.

Page I think could be their top babyface who does the weekly shows to build up his rep and get experience so there's less reliance on Omega and you keep Kenny fresh for the really big marquee matches & big shows.

Since they have three potential top babyfaces in AEW with Adam Page, Kenny and Cody I don't know who's going to be the top face. Do they push Hangman to the top but you don't sign Kenny Omega without him being your Ace. Will be interesting to see how that works out. I have a hunch Cody will turn heel and side with MJF. 

By Double or Nothing they might have signed some big names from WWE (apparently a few big name deals are up in April plus Deans not re-signing). But again they don't want to be WWE lite. But if AJ, Good Brothers, Finn become available then you definitely sign them up. Imagine them all turning up and standing across from Kenny, the Bucks & Hangman at the end of Double or Nothing.  Bullet Club v The Elite angle writes itself. Even if you just get Dean, him vs Omega could be good and you have a solid heel who can work the hardcore style against Havoc, Pentagon and Joey Janela.