VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

KFC have launched a Vegan burger. Someone will have to educate me here. What self-respecting Vegan is giving their money to KFC? If you're vegan, you're presumably diametrically opposed to a company who flog a gazillion dead chickens a week?

Veganism as a lifestyle choice is different from an ethical choice - I'm sure they're playing to those who are doing it to be healthier (or to be trendy) rather than those who truly believe the meat industry to be cancerous to the planet

Yeah there is plant based and vegan, which are different ethics. Loads of vegans are arguing about KFC and I see both sides to it.

I had the vegan steak bake from Greggs today which was awesome and the pepperphonie pizza from Pizza Hut today and they were both banging. 

Is anyone here doing Veganuary?

2 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Yeah there is plant based and vegan, which are different ethics. Loads of vegans are arguing about KFC and I see both sides to it.

I had the vegan steak bake from Greggs today which was awesome and the pepperphonie pizza from Pizza Hut today and they were both banging. 

Is anyone here doing Veganuary?

I am. I was doing one day a week anyway so thought might as well give it a go. Cheese will be the tough one for me, and if anyone’s got any tofu recipes, then please share them :)

4 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

pepperphonie

WANKERS! Knew I should’ve trademarked that. I’m using a casserole dish a lot these days as an ad hoc slow cooker Made a lovely lentil curry with vegan quorn pieces yesterday. Always worthwhile and rewarding making the curry sauce from scratch. Everything in one pot and leave it for a couple of hours in the oven. Fuck yeah. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Veganism as a lifestyle choice is different from an ethical choice - I'm sure they're playing to those who are doing it to be healthier (or to be trendy) rather than those who truly believe the meat industry to be cancerous to the planet

Educated. Wasn't thinking about it from that POV, just that of the biggest gobshites. Not sure KFC counts as healthier but take the point.

McDonald's new veggie dippers look awesome.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I am. I was doing one day a week anyway so thought might as well give it a go. Cheese will be the tough one for me, and if anyone’s got any tofu recipes, then please share them :)

Get firm tofu or extra firm. Freeze it, defrost it, then repeat. After it’s defrosted a second time, squeeze it using two plates to remove any other water. Then cut or pull apart into chunks, get some plant milk, seasoned flour, dunk in the milk, then dunk in the flour, then shallow fry or bake in oven/airfryer for kfc style tofu. The freezing/defrosting makes the tofu have a more meat like texture. 

failing that, get some extra firm tofu, drain it, then press it to remove water. Season it, cut into cubes, fry it insoneboul for about 5 minutes, then add a stir fry veg pack from a super market. Cook for another 5 minutes or so.

21 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Not sure KFC counts as healthier but take the point.

No arguments here, but some of the types to jump on a bandwagon are the types to ignore the fact it's still fast food and justify it as healthy simply because it's meat free. .

similar to those who will be extolling how much healthier they feel doing a dry January, despite the fact they've substituted the booze for full fat coke or similar and down 2l of that a day instead.

There's also the inclusion factor as well, they can go to KFC/McDonalds/etc with non-vegan friends and family and not be sat with a salad

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Someone once shared Ottolenghi's black pepper tofu recipe on here (apologies to whomever it was for not recalling who):

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/black-pepper-tofu-a

INGREDIENTS

• 800g firm tofu (such as Tau Kwa brand)
  • vegetable oil for frying
  • cornflour to dust the tofu
  • 150g butter
  • 12 small shallots (350g in total), thinly sliced
  • 8 fresh red chillies (fairly mild ones), thinly sliced
  • 12 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh root ginger
  • 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
  • 3 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 4 tsp dark soy sauce 
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 5 tbsp coarsely crushed black peppercorns (use a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder)
  • 16 small and thin spring onions, cut into 3cm segments

SERVES FOUR

You will definitely surprise yourself with this one. It is an extremely delicious dish that’s quick and straightforward to make, but looks as if it’s been prepared at a top Chinese restaurant. It is fiery, both from the chillies and the black pepper; you can moderate this by reducing their quantity a little. However, the whole point is spiciness so don’t go too far.

1. Start with the tofu. Pour enough oil into a large frying pan or wok to come 5mm up the sides and heat. Cut the tofu into large cubes, about 3 x 2cm. Toss them in some cornflour and shake off the excess, then add to the hot oil. (You’ll need to fry the tofu pieces in a few batches so they don’t stew in the pan.) Fry, turning them around as you go, until they are golden all over and have a thin crust. As they are cooked, transfer them onto kitchen paper.
  2. Remove the oil and any sediment from the pan, then put the butter inside and melt it. Add the shallots, chillies, garlic and ginger. Sauté on low to medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients have turned shiny and are totally soft. Next, add the soy sauces and sugar and stir, then add the crushed black pepper. 
  3. Add the tofu to warm it up in the sauce for about a minute. Finally, stir in the spring onions. Serve hot, with steamed rice.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Someone once shared Ottolenghi's black pepper tofu recipe on here (apologies to whomever it was for not recalling who)

Believe it was me but all is forgiven. It’s an excellent recipe, takes practically no time to prepare and it’s packed with flavour. One of my absolute favourite dishes, not just with tofu. I’m sure a lot of people are familiar with him but for anyone trying vegan or veggie and enjoys cooking then Ottolenghi is your man. A lot of his dishes are time consuming but the pay off is always worth it. Meera Sodha (The Guardian)does some fantastic vegan recipes too and is doing a Veganuary thing where she posts weekly meal plans.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/dec/27/veganuary-food-ideas-meera-sodha-meal-plan-recipes?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Awards Moderator

+1 for the Ottolenghi Black pepper tofu. It's great. Like Stummo says, Ottolenghi runs a weekly column in the Guardian / Observer and his recipes are frequently vegetarian, if not vegan. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

The missus likes the applewood smoked vegan cheese from Asda and I love scrambled tofu for breakfast