VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
On 6/30/2019 at 9:56 AM, UK Kat Von D said:

Been intrigued by this for a while now but after watching the trailer I’m really excited. Hopefully it focuses on the benefits for athletes rather than try to appeal to people’s compassionate side.

With any luck it gets a lot of eyes on it because of the names involved 

It's on Netflix from the 16th October

Just now, Merzbow said:

Brewdog have started selling a burger which is 50% Vegan and 50% Meat...

What's the fucking point?

It's been getting them lots of attention on social media, so guess thats why. But of course, it's fucking pointless

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I saw this and posted it on Facebook last night. I get the social media attention but all the vegans are just calling them twats. Don’t see the point in trying to get negative publicity.

Amazing news that Game Changers is going on Netflix, gonna fix a lot of misinformation around Veganism and health 

28 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Eat less meat but still eat some?

Kinda depends what the 50% vegan means. I occasionally make burgers with approx 1/3rd reduced mushrooms to 2/3rd beef cos it tastes pretty good (not better or worse, just different - like plenty other additions to a burger) and is healthier. However a lot of the vegan burgers aren't that much healthier (although it depends what particular unhealthy thing you're comparing the levels of) so health wise 50/50 is hm...

If we discount "just doing it to get people talking" (which is admittedly working innit?) I'm assuming it's environmental.. Carbon footprint of meat eating seems to be a reason for many cutting it out / down and beef has the biggest footprint. Plenty places suggest you can eat beef, just ideally not much - if mixing it half and half makes for a less perceptible substitute then you can eat twice as much?

Edited by organizedkaos
clarifying stuff

There probably is some token enviromentlist sentiment there, but there's probably a whole 'nother thread for me to spout why this doesn't actually make any sort of true impact. My real issue is that there's still animals being killed to make it.

Does it not? I cannot claim to be up on the science but It's been hammered on about endlessly this past year. A quick google brings up a whole bunch of of seemingly reputable sources and organisations recommending eating less and giving quantifiable benefits of stuff like "meatless mondays" (although these benefits are generally measured in context of adoption by large fractions of UK / American populations)

Sure something like this is a tiny dent but it at least continues to normalise the idea and keep these sort of measures in consciousness

I do understand using the phrase "vegan" is this context is contentious 

Edited by organizedkaos

Oh for sure, but from the environmental perspective (as opposed to the more ethics based vegan perspective) some reduction of emissions is better than none. If that burger essentially halves the number of burgers being sold at Brewdog that's progress (again from the environmental perspective)

(Plus generally when you cut down meat your brain associates it less as something it needs when it really just needs protein so you know softly softly stop eatingy monkey)

• Paid Members

It's just a gimmick, as pretty much every bit of Brewdog marketing is, but the stated explanation from Brewdog is that it's for people wanting to cut down on their carbon footprint, and would aid anyone interested in "transitioning" to a plant-based diet.

Thing is, I don't believe that hypothetical person exists. Anyone I know who's interested in cutting down on their meat, or "transitioning" to a plant-based diet, would quite happily eat one of the several vegan/veggie burgers already on Brewdog menus. People cutting down on meat are doing it across their entire diet, not "transitioning" within the space of a single meal.

• Paid Members

Before I went Veggie I ate a vegan burger. I wanted to know what the alternative was like. A 50/50 split won’t make you think if it’s nice or better because you could always think it must have been the meat content making it taste good, when in reality there are plenty of amazing tasting alternatives already available 

Haven't seen this on the front page in a while, so just thought I'd pop in to let you know the Pumpkin Katsu curry that Yo! Sushi does is absolutely glorious. I could eat it every single day.

I've managed to be a vegetarian for just over a year now, and barring a few drunk, late night trips to McDonald's it's stuck really well. I'm at the stage now where I'm not missing meat at all, and have really gotten the hang of some basic, plant-based meals. I don't think I could see myself going completely vegan at the moment, mostly due to university related constraints (money, availability, time) but I've made some decent enough adjustments (cutting out most dairy products, always trying to select a vegan alternative if offered one) which is helping me to feel like I'm doing my bit.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

Haven't seen this on the front page in a while, so just thought I'd pop in to let you know the Pumpkin Katsu curry that Yo! Sushi does is absolutely glorious. I could eat it every single day.

In a similar vein, Leon do a vegan caribbean plantain curry which is top drawer. Would recommend. 

• Paid Members
Just now, mim731 said:

In a similar vein, Leon do a vegan caribbean plantain curry which is top drawer. Would recommend. 

Tbf most of their vegan stuff is the tits. The black bean and rice box, the love burger, Jackfruit wings. Some great stuff