Outstanding Names

Gus Mears

40 minutes ago, Finbar said:

I went to school with a Christopher Peacock which is fine until you call him Chris. 

I worked with a guy who's last name was Peacock, he said he had a relative with that name. Could we worse, could be Ray.

His mum was Rosie Anne so

R A Peacock

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

there's a British journalist called Roger Boyes. That's good for a titter, but a friend of mine mentioned him being a customer at their work once, and seeing on their database that he was married, which meant at some point he stood in front of a crowd of people while someone asked them the question, "Do you, Roger Boyes..."

• Paid Members

Again, maybe not quite in the spirit of this thread but I'm about to watch this Dutch horror film called Tailgate. Its Dutch title?

Screenshot2024-03-2113_52_32.thumb.png.9398bec831db16fb4c9bf72047228f37.png

• Paid Members

Dutch is just an incredibly unserious language. Two of my favourites are this announcement from last year:

GAR-mvqW0AAGK-W?format=jpg&name=large 

And this book title, which sounds like someone drunkenly and increasingly aggressively quizzing you on Wally's whereabouts:

F4IJ0CfXMAA2zgo?format=jpg&name=small 

• Paid Members

A friend living in the Netherlands told me about how his Dutch partner didn't correct him for several months, when he first learned used the phrase "Met vriendlijk groenten" at the end of emails and letters.

He wanted to say "with friendly greetings", which is "met vriendlijk groeten". By adding the extra "n", he was signing off with "with friendly vegetables". 

• Paid Members

my Dad used to work in the Netherlands a lot, and one of his colleagues in Rotterdam told him that he didn't need to bother learning Dutch, just learn the word "belachelijk" - it means "ridiculous", and he just said that if anyone starts trying to speak to you in Dutch, you just say that and walk off. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

And this book title, which sounds like someone drunkenly and increasingly aggressively quizzing you on Wally's whereabouts:

F4IJ0CfXMAA2zgo?format=jpg&name=small 

I think that one's "Where's Wally Now?" which has Wally travelling through time.

There's a lady on the Apprentice tonight by the name of Solitaire Townsend. Presumably at least one of her parents really enjoyed Live & Let Die.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Carbomb said:

A friend living in the Netherlands told me about how his Dutch partner didn't correct him for several months, when he first learned used the phrase "Met vriendlijk groenten" at the end of emails and letters.

He wanted to say "with friendly greetings", which is "met vriendlijk groeten". By adding the extra "n", he was signing off with "with friendly vegetables". 

That would be a good pun to use in marketing emails if the Dutch have any oddbox / hello fresh type companies.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It's actually become our sign-off when we email each other (he's an actor on our roster).

We did change it up - "with cordial aubergines", "with civil mushrooms", and, of course, "with kind parsnips" were a few variations.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

My favourite email sign-off was when I was a PA for a bloke who had been director of a lot of big companies, and we would have to draft all his emails for him from stuff he'd handwritten and then print them for him to annotate and approve, a really torturous process.

When emailing a business partner called Jon, he signed off "as they say in Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan".