Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Thunderplex said:

Aww shit.

On the plus side, I went in The Little Chippy in Cheadle today and it's still a very high standard of chips and gravy, as I believe I've reported in the early days of our great thread. They don't have the board up behind the counter telling you what type of potatoes they're using anymore though, sadly.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

On the plus side, I went in The Little Chippy in Cheadle today and it's still a very high standard of chips and gravy, as I believe I've reported in the early days of our great thread. They don't have the board up behind the counter telling you what type of potatoes they're using anymore though, sadly.

Not been there for a while, must change that.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Hello again from St Ives. Went back to By The Sea on Friday night. Imagine this… we were lucky twice over. Firstly for getting in on Monday before they changed the menu on Tuesday. Virtually everything we’d ordered bar the sauces had been removed, prices changed and other items gone/replaced. Secondly because even though the seafood sharing starter with which it came (along with anything involving the Thai fishcakes) had disappeared, the Asian sweet chilli was still available when we enquired and the waitress checked with the kitchen - thankfully what we had planned to order this time was all still available. We had the “Cajun” prawns (identical to Mondays but served with chilli jam mayo) and calamari (with aioli) plus chips to share, and Mrs raid added tartare sauce which seems to have changed her world.

IMG_4731.thumb.jpeg.db48d5ee438717ed38171e2a90815418.jpegIMG_4729.thumb.jpeg.ed551059ea367008dd62a7b06dfbf47d.jpegIMG_4730.thumb.jpeg.5e2d2504f5aed4775849b26ccee5fedc.jpegIMG_4732.thumb.jpeg.9e8323aa97e0d1f5de8b671df02e0518.jpeg

Just as it was coming we realised if we’d ordered the new “Fritto Misto” from mains we could had all items minus all but tartar sauce but with inclusion of undefined “fried local fish” for slightly less expense, but no matter, it was more than enough. Everything was really tasty, calamari with a squeeze of lemon is a treat, the difference between good and bad calamari is always stark, and the last time I had as good as this was near 7 years ago, in Barcelona. Mrs raid said we’d come back today for fish, but overnight changed her mind blaming inconsistency, that chips and sauce hadn’t been as good as Monday. I think it was more to do with the Italian waitress who she said had a resting bitch face. She had a St Ives gin & tonic, I had Cornish Orchards raspberry & elderflower from a bottle, food portion of the £40.45 bill was £26.

Lust for battered fish by the sea still not sated, Saturday we did a mid afternoon dash to Harbour and armed with a thermal bag brought back a battered sea bass and lemon sole, large chips between us, battered prawns, tartar for her and curry sauce for me - £30.25 and excellent, all. Still hot and washed down with local Rattler “cyder” from bottles.

IMG_4752.thumb.jpeg.f18405a832625de8dfcc9dbd2fd749d0.jpegIMG_4753.thumb.jpeg.5aa90e5fca29cf7c5fb1a684725fa5bf.jpegIMG_4751.thumb.jpeg.6b03b5c5d20aa54a9a0cb4367ffcef9f.jpeg

Thus ends the 8 days I will look back on as Four Chippy Teas & A Wedding, a fine successor to when her parents came and we had six chippy visits length and breadth of Britain from Edinburgh to Cornwall and three North West spots inbetween. Not so much nuptials as Neptunes Pantry.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Fish and seafood done well is truly hard to beat, and those look amazing. Don't know when I'll next be able to get to Cornwall, but I hope those places are still going by the time I do.

• Paid Members

Me and my wife both had a day off work so we pottered about the garden for a bit and then went into town for some shopping. On the way back, she asks if I fancied getting some chips down by the sea for tea. Beautiful as well as brilliant she is, I’m a lucky man.

I went for double fishcake and chips, Mrs Scratch went for double sausage and chips. I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I had chips this amazing, they were as perfect as you could wish for.

We’re now sitting here in the evening sun watching the waves hit the beach. Not a bad day all in.

IMG_2772.thumb.jpeg.0a488574bcfbd2deebcb2d1cdbc5e973.jpeg

IMG_2773.thumb.jpeg.c62c7adcff24548bcc6858002d720656.jpeg

I had some of the worst chips I've ever had in Cov today, Popeyes in Tile Hill is never an amazing chippy but it's cheap and has always been decent enough if I'm in the area but the bag was full of burnt slithers of potato that might have even been on the turn. I don't think I'll risk it again and just walk a bit further to Station Plaice, at least there's a cute goth that's always overly enthusiastic to serve me there.

2 hours ago, Scratch said:

Me and my wife both had a day off work so we pottered about the garden for a bit and then went into town for some shopping. On the way back, she asks if I fancied getting some chips down by the sea for tea. Beautiful as well as brilliant she is, I’m a lucky man.

I went for double fishcake and chips, Mrs Scratch went for double sausage and chips. I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I had chips this amazing, they were as perfect as you could wish for.

We’re now sitting here in the evening sun watching the waves hit the beach. Not a bad day all in.

IMG_2772.thumb.jpeg.0a488574bcfbd2deebcb2d1cdbc5e973.jpeg

IMG_2773.thumb.jpeg.c62c7adcff24548bcc6858002d720656.jpeg

Aldi 'Pepsi Max' too. Not a bad looking dinner at all there! 

Sometimes you just have that lovely meal, lovely company, nice views and it just makes life good, even if just for a short time.