Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That would be a perfect 10/10 (I don't even like fish but that looks gorgeous) but I can see what I think is a Diet Coke.

For shame.

I have a figure to maintain.

• Paid Members

First chippy tea in a while. Was cooked fresh and they even waited 5 mins before wrapping it as it started chucking it down outside. 

Haddock, chips and a fish cake on the side. Chips were bang on, the haddock really flavoursome and the fishcake was a chippy fishcake. 10/10.

IMG_2633.thumb.jpeg.2bfed583db0d6edd5c8f46f0fada2339.jpeg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FLips said:

Me and the Wife are round my Granny and Grandad’s tonight for one! Exciting times.

A chippy tea at your Gran’s on a Friday night.  Miss doing that.  Good times.

• Paid Members

So, I went to the chippy last night, just as I'd promised to myself. Had been really looking forward to it all day at work. I could see it was busy as fuck as I walked up, but that's not necessarily a big concern. Bound to be busy on a Friday evening. I step through the door, ready myself to adopt the Big Sam Stance for a scan of the board (even though I knew exactly what I wanted before I'd even got up that morning), when matey looks up at me from the fryer and just says 'Sorry mate, we're not taking any more orders tonight'. Devastated. 

This was an hour before closing time, so I couldn't believe it. I've walked home, now in the pissing rain, empty handed and broken hearted. Ordered a KFC in. It wasn't great. First Zinger Burger I've had in about ten years though.

I went back to the chippy tonight, straight away I've received an apology and an explanation for last night, and then of course, a fish supper. All is right with the world again.

PXL_20240615_193636064.jpg

17 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

So, I went to the chippy last night, just as I'd promised to myself. Had been really looking forward to it all day at work. I could see it was busy as fuck as I walked up, but that's not necessarily a big concern. Bound to be busy on a Friday evening. I step through the door, ready myself to adopt the Big Sam Stance for a scan of the board (even though I knew exactly what I wanted before I'd even got up that morning), when matey looks up at me from the fryer and just says 'Sorry mate, we're not taking any more orders tonight'. Devastated. 

This was an hour before closing time, so I couldn't believe it. I've walked home, now in the pissing rain, empty handed and broken hearted. Ordered a KFC in. It wasn't great. First Zinger Burger I've had in about ten years though.

I went back to the chippy tonight, straight away I've received an apology and an explanation for last night, and then of course, a fish supper. All is right with the world again.

PXL_20240615_193636064.jpg

What caused the massive surge in orders that they had to close early then? Looks bangin though so not surprised.

About to head back to the UK in a couple of weeks (ask me where I am, I dare you!). Little lads 2 and half now so it's time to introduce him to his first chippy tea. This will make it break our relationship moving forward. 

Will start off with the village local, wife likes that one. Then try out a somewhere round Swanage before the two weeks are up. 

• Paid Members

Don’t know how anyone else celebrates a wedding but I’m guessing a sit down meal is appropriate so while Mrs raid and I were wandering around St Ives, we happened upon By The Sea, which boasted getting in the top 10 shortlist in the national fish and chip awards 2023 (verified). So in lieu of our usual trip to Harbour, we booked. Yes, many things I will write make you think “not a chippy” - for a start there’s no real counter, just a bloke and his little 3 tap bar and a window through which the kitchen passes him bagged takeaway orders. I digress.

IMG_0777.thumb.jpeg.7a2d174f4f93155e0d09aa2c31c8a361.jpeg

We ordered a seafood sharer, and initially hake for her and cod for me plus curry sauce and at my wife’s insistence, onion rings for me. The bloke serving implied that was a lot of food for two people so we removed the cod - later, we’d learn that was sensible. Washed down with St Ives Super Berry g&t (her) and a pint of draft South West Orchards (me).

IMG_0787.thumb.jpeg.62017138dadabbb232caa4d5da93ff50.jpegIMG_4469.thumb.jpeg.fe99af71c2f511e58fc1f9407cd3c39b.jpeg

The sharer was battered prawns, scampi, whitebait and a Thai fishcake which we had to ask for after checking every other shape on the plate, but I’d be heartless to hold it against the guy as he was rushed off his feet trying to spin both booked and walk in diners alike, click and collect and the odd walk in takeaway customers, and the demands of the solo Asian backpacker sat nearest us, who asked for the chowder to be made super spicy, and didn’t flinch when our man told her it would take about an hour to make specially. The sharer came with a very tasty aioli and “Asian sweet chilli” which tasted like most sweet chilli sauces for a base but blended with soy - Mrs raid raved about it despite telling me years ago she hates soy - and as you can see some baguette slices and a huge chunk of mutant lemon. Fishcake came out hotter than the sun when they realised it was missing, after it calmed down we were rewarded with a nice flavour and a present-but-not-overwhelming chilli heat (she can’t do “too spicy”) that crept up in the throat rather than destroy the tastebuds. She thought it was too salty, but that’s why you get a sweet dip. Prawns and scampi were bob on, I’d forgot how much I love prawn dipped in chilli and scampi with a squeeze of lemon. Whitebait is a little much for me, I only cope with mild fishyness, but it went nicely with both dips. Usually I’d say the bread was surplus calories in a meal of this size but it was actually handy to finish off the aioli ; thoroughly impressed, we left only the parsley garnish on the plate.

On to “main” ;

IMG_4470.thumb.jpeg.3c1b035b0f4a01dba366c8e933baede1.jpegIMG_0789.thumb.jpeg.9494e01b9201b70c3c4d1d202fe47561.jpeg

Tartar sauce, I’d not had for actually years and was a nice point of difference though hardly a game changer. Mrs raid tells me the peas were good, they looked watery and not especially mushy to me but I’ll take her word for it, I can’t stand peas. Chips were brilliant, with that crisp outside you only get when they’re fresh, and potato flavour the same as Harbour (local spuds from Helston). Curry was not as spicy or fruity as many I’ve had but a luxurious texture and a bit of heat at the end and subtle meatiness, hake was divine and batter the crispest I’ve ever had. Onion rings didn’t come out until the rest was half eaten, the lad said the kitchen had ran out of ones ready to fry and not told him (whoops) so they had to start them from scratch but we forgave that too… fuck my eye, they were stunning. Batter was amazing, onions tasted like I’d never had - still crunchy but cooked so they weren’t sharp, tasting like they’d been sweet pickled before battered and fried. Mrs raid avoided the seasoning which I guessed was sichuan pepper and the portion provoked herself to suggest “Looks like they gave you a whole onion.” Better still we got undercharged for them, he rang them up as a mushy peas side at half the price. Which brings me to the price ; excluding beverages we paid about £40 for two hearty courses to share. Gentle reader, that probably sounds like a great expense for a chippy tea but she says it’s the best we had and I’d put in the top two. If you can’t on honeymoon, when can you?

So, when in St Ives - if you want a chippy from a counter that you can eat from the wrapper on a bench in front of the sea, and more kick from your curry, go to Harbour. If you want the best tasting food and don’t mind the extra expense, go here.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Harbour

hake

Tartar sauce

Chips

(Ahem) whoops!

IMG_4611.thumb.jpeg.a9457fb18096b60b9b56f90e29cb7542.jpeg

…. and a homemade garlic mayo. Top scran, played a blinder with tough competition from last night. Chips were crisper, says Mrs Raid. £13.85, filled the hole nicely.

• Paid Members

Neither me nor @Thunderplex will be enjoying anything from The Sea Shell for a while.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/beloved-chippy-left-gutted-after-29370118

Think this is a sign for me to look for a new flat.