Bollocks Predictions

Gus Mears

• Moderators

I'm sure that real banks will find a way to use blockchain technology.  Decentralised currency will never be a thing, though. The collapse of.crypto currencies won't have any big economic impact unless people actually start using them to exchange good and services on a large scale. At the moment their collapse would be meaningless because no-one uses them for anything important.

Let's see if that ends up being totally meta for this thread....

I really thought HD DVD would beat BluRay. At least I didn't put my money where my mouth was, though.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I remember when Twitter first got popular, I used it a few times, didn't see the appeal and said "what's the point of messaging in 140 characters? This won't last long." Since then we've had the Arab Spring, high-profile people getting removed/fired from there jobs due to Twitter comments plus Trump spouts most of his bullshit on there. It's a hugely effective political tool.

I still think it's shit though.

I never, ever thought that McGregor vs Mayweather was going to happen. Absolutely adamant it was just a pipe-dream at the time to keep both of the fighters names within mainstream media. I just thought there were an overwhelming amount of variables that needed to be overcome before even staging preliminary conversations. Of course now in hindsight, it's a lot clearer to realize how fairly simple it was to piece together and the reasoning as to why it couldn't ever happen was tossed aside in favor of dollar bills. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I remember when Twitter first got popular, I used it a few times, didn't see the appeal and said "what's the point of messaging in 140 characters?

I had the opposite experience. My friend introduced me to it when it wasn't very popular. I thought "this is cool, but it needs more people using it". I was wrong and it is terrible.

• Paid Members

Movies : I predicted that Elysium would be among the most revered sci-fi films of all time. I thought it was absolutely wonderful. Nobody else did.

Music : My prediction that Babylon Zoo - and Jas Mann, in particular - were going to be the living incarnation of Wyld Stallyns didn't exactly carry off. I adored The Boy with the X-Ray Eyes. Nobody else did.

Football : I genuinely - with every ounce of my innocent, naive being - believed Football Manager 98 and swore to anyone who would listen that Michael Branch was going to shite all over Michael Owen and become the greatest British born striker in history. See also : Danny Cadamarteri.

Life: I predicted I was going to be a paramedic, baller and/or rock star. Wound up working in the freight business, delivering Chinese fusion of a Sunday night. Also, when I was 12, I was sure that once Juliette Lewis laid eyes on me in person, she'd see sense and present herself to me. Our eyes met after a Licks concert in the Voodoo Lounge in Dublin and she didn't slide off her seat and approach me, as anticipated. Didn't even acknowledge me. Devastating. I never pumped my sofa or a pillow to her POV scene in Strange Days again.

• Paid Members

I thought PokemonGo was going to completely change the way we interact with the world around us, changing the face of gaming and also getting people more active by going outside and getting more active in the quest to catch them all. Then they took away one of the websites where it would reveal where some of the rarer Pokemon were hiding and people got sick of constantly battling Rattatas and the craze soon calmed. Nice to see it hasn't completely died off though - the bumping of the thread from the other day has actually piqued my interest again, so I might even re-download when I get some time off and go exploring. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I thought PokemonGo was going to completely change the way we interact with the world around us, changing the face of gaming and also getting people more active by going outside and getting more active in the quest to catch them all. Then they took away one of the websites where it would reveal where some of the rarer Pokemon were hiding and people got sick of constantly battling Rattatas and the craze soon calmed. Nice to see it hasn't completely died off though - the bumping of the thread from the other day has actually piqued my interest again, so I might even re-download when I get some time off and go exploring. 

I think those apps which allowed you to 'travel' to any point in the world whilst sat on your arse might've sped up the decline as well. It even killed my interest in it. I used to love Pokemon Go; it was before I had a car so  I waswalking to work, which added up to 2 hours a day of prime hunting. Then suddenly every gym had rare, leveled-up Pokemon guarding them due to the aforementioned apps so I quickly dropped it.

23 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I'm sure that real banks will find a way to use blockchain technology.  Decentralised currency will never be a thing, though. The collapse of.crypto currencies won't have any big economic impact unless people actually start using them to exchange good and services on a large scale. At the moment their collapse would be meaningless because no-one uses them for anything important.

Let's see if that ends up being totally meta for this thread....

I really thought HD DVD would beat BluRay. At least I didn't put my money where my mouth was, though.

Growing up, my Dad thought Betamax would beat VHS so for ages, I couldn't borrow any of my mates VHS tapes as we had a massive fucking Betamax machine with massive fucking cassettes. He was convinced it would win.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Music : My prediction that Babylon Zoo - and Jas Mann, in particular - were going to be the living incarnation of Wyld Stallyns didn't exactly carry off. I adored The Boy with the X-Ray Eyes. Nobody else did.

At one point, it did look like Jas Mann was going to be a huge star - not necessarily because of the music, but because of Spaceman being the soundtrack to that Levi's advert with the super-hot Russian model playing an alien, and because the media seemed to be all over him. Plus, he was ultra-pretentious, quite a showman, and that sort of thing usually makes a mark. Then he just disappeared.

I enjoyed half of The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes. Spaceman, Animal Army, Sign of The Zodiac, all fun, very "90s electro-rock". There were a couple of other tracks I enjoyed, but it was very much a hit-and-miss album.

• Paid Members

I did say it was more about him being a star - the media just seemed to love him. Seemed to be all over music mags, TV and whatnot. That Levi's advert is the sort of publicity that tends to make stars as well.

Archived