Bollocks Predictions

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

When have you got it spectacularly wrong and what was your reasoning behind it? 

Barring a short-lived conspiracy twat phase as a teenager, when I was briefly convinced we were all going to end up being killed off by the Illuminati or something within the turn of a calendar, the sort of thing that comes to mind for me is less egregious. I think working in politics makes you loath to predict anything with great certainty. 

I do remember telling far too many people that Kenwyne Jonnes was going to be the next Didier Drogba and lead Chelsea to numerous league titles once we signed him. This was due to me seeing him score half a dozen decent headers at Stoke one season. Kenwyne retired in his early 30's last year, having recently played for such footballing powerhouses as Al Jazira and Atlanta United. 

What about you?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My mum was going to put a tenner on Milan Baros to be top scorer at Euro 2004 and I talked her out of it saying he had "no chance, the Scouse cunt". She still reminds me of that, as does my brother, usually on Twitter.

• Paid Members

I remember reading about Guardians of the Galaxy and thinking that it sounded like the biggest flop in the making. I thought it would make John Carter's performance look like Avatar. A fucking talking raccoon? Batista in space?  

• Paid Members

Related to wrestling, I thought 'All In' was going to be a spectacular flop based on my reasoning that disgruntled WWE fans, at the end of the day, are still going to want WWE instead of an alternative. Boy did I eat my own arse on that one. Still find it hilarious that they've shoe-horned in a NWA title defense though, a championship that barely anyone cares about in 2018, and it'll be subsequently talked about by the NWA as the match that put 10,000 people in seats.

I was also adamant that there shall be rumors of things going astray, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things with the sort of raffia work base that has an attachment. At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock. Yea, it is written in the book of Cyril that...

• Paid Members

Yeah, on a wrestling front I have had some right howlers. Remember when Mordecai was going to become world champion and be the new Undertaker? Or when Bob Holly won the WWE Championship at the Rumble that year? 

In my defence, I was a late bloomer with wrestling, so these things might have made a modicum of sense in my non-jaded brain. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, hallicks said:

All those people that, after Trump was elected, said "Wait and see"/"it might not be that bad". WHERE ARE YOU? LET'S BE HAVING YOU! 

'He'll move to the centre once he realises he can win the nominationwins the nomination, faces Hillary in the election, wins the presidency, after assuming office, never'

• Paid Members

I predicted Javier Saviola was going to be the next "best player in the world." Went really well, that.

"Ryan Shawcross will be an England regular one day" was another.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

I predicted Javier Saviola was going to be the next "best player in the world." Went really well, that.

Championship Manager sold you a dummy there raid. 

As for mine. 

"Jimmy Anderson is dogshit, why is he playing for England"

"Look how bad Australia are of they are picking Steve Smith. If he's a test match player so am I"

"There is no chance we are voting to leave the EU"

Proper Nostradamus me. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Yeah, on a wrestling front I have had some right howlers. Remember when Mordecai was going to become world champion and be the new Undertaker? Or when Bob Holly won the WWE Championship at the Rumble that year? 

In my defence, I was a late bloomer with wrestling, so these things might have made a modicum of sense in my non-jaded brain. 

I've got you all beat, as I thought that the Sniper/Recon combo Armageddon were going to be a dominant tag team force.

Prince Harry will never settle down like his brother, he'll always be a playboy prince.

Scotland can't wait to be independent. The referendum is a foregone conclusion.

Vince would never be blind enough to try the XFL thing again, he's comfortable with his nest egg.

It's Coming Home

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

"BitCoin and all crypto is a bubble ready to burst and cause economic havoc."

I still think the whole thing is a massive fad that will eventually burst and vanish in a few years from now. The way the lad at work goes on about it, it sounds like basically just a stock market for made up currency with stupid names. I think the people who are going to make any serious money off it already have, and it's at the point now where it's just dregs that investors are desperately optimistic about. 

Maybe that's just the vibe I get talking to him though. 

Archived