Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

United players worked their socks off tonight, fought to the final whistle. Played at a great tempo, in the first half in particular. I'm definitely not buying that they aren't playing for the manager. I think we were pretty unlucky tonight, to be honest. Should have been ahead at half time and the game would have been different if that was the case. Credit to Spurs for taking their chances, it was the quick succession of the goals that did for us, just as it did in the Brighton game.

Mourinho recognises that the media treatment is ridiculous and not representative of the views of most real supporters (ie not the social media millions). The fans in the stadium tonight were singing his name before and after the final whistle. There was no chorus of boos at the end as you might expect if we were in a genuine crisis situation. Jose was applauding them for that and trying to build on that 'them and us' mentality, which it seems we are going to need this season. I wouldn't read more into it than that.

I think this is all fair and a far more level-headed a response than you know I am ever able to muster when it comes to United. This is why you should post more.

My ranting counterpoint to that is that, yes, we should have been ahead at half time but the fact is that Lukaku is up front. Which I know is a ludicrous thing to say about a guy who did well at the World Cup and scored 30-odd goals (?) last season but his miss ratio is pretty big for the quality of chances that he gets. I still maintain he's not good enough to be the main striker for United and unfortunately, because they're always stuck out wide or just not playing, Rashford and Martial's development in that position has been stopped by the overspending on a striker who needs 6 chances to score.

I can't praise Mourinho at all for tonight, which won't surprise anyone. Tactically I haven't known what he has been doing with midfield in any of the three games so far this season and tonight was the worst yet. Where was Herrera playing exactly? Why does he insist on limiting Pogba's strengths? Exactly what has Fred been bought to do?

Yes, some fans stayed behind and applauded him but most of them had fucked off home and showed him what they thought. Which I think is a much better way of expressing yourself than staying behind and booing, because that damages players who are, I believe like you, trying their best. Even so, it spoke volumes. I don't think the media treatment has been any more ridiculous than it normally is.

And now we have this nonsense at the interviews and press conferences where he's talking absolute gibberish. This is a mess of his making and I can't really see anything improving until he goes.

That said, I don't think Zidane is the answer either.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

They certainly put in more of a shift today Arch, but did they look like they were playing for the manager last weekend? What's even more worrying is that despite playing MUCH better than the Brighton (and arguably the Leicester) game, they still lost 3-0. At home. What Jose has been bloody good at over the years is getting results, he's a winner.

Bang on. "Well, they worked hard" is such a nothing when you get turned over 3-0 at home. This is Manchester United, not bloody Newcastle United. What use is Jose if he can't stop his teams conceding 3 goals every week?

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

He needs a holiday away from football.

Poch or Simeone would be good replacements, but the new deal for Poch and Simeone's love for Atletico mean that'd be unlikely.

I don't feel Zidane would be a wise step at all for United.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Teedy Kay said:

Poch or Simeone would be good replacements, but the new deal for Poch and Simeone's love for Atletico mean that'd be unlikely.

I don't feel Zidane would be a wise step at all for United.

We finally agree on something! Well, that Zidane bit anyway. But if we all thought Mourinho's football was painful, it's nothing compared to the tepid shite that Simeone would probably bring along. I honestly don't see Pochettino leaving Spurs for United at all, certainly not in 2018. I don't know how and why he keeps getting linked with this move.

• Paid Members

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

We finally agree on something! Well, that Zidane bit anyway. But if we all thought Mourinho's football was painful, it's nothing compared to the tepid shite that Simeone would probably bring along. I honestly don't see Pochettino leaving Spurs for United at all, certainly not in 2018. I don't know how and why he keeps getting linked with this move.

And I don't think Zidane's the answer either. If there were a few more obvious candidates for the job in world football I'd be far less patient than I am with Jose, but there aren't. If we were to go down the Zidane line of thinking we'd be as well to just offer Cantona the job.

• Paid Members

Pep, Simeone and Zidane werent considered good managers until they actually got a chance to manage. You've got to be given the chance. I'm looking at the last few years and would United have even been in a worse position had they given Giggs the job perminantly in 2014? I mean fucking hell. Barca and Madrid gave unexperienced ex-players a chance at the job, what makes United so special? Van Gaal and Mourinho talk a good game, but they've had money to spend. Big wages, big fees. Its not like they've had to make do with a few million here and there.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I wouldn't want Zidane if I were in that position either, same goes for Luis Enrique too. Tactically, Zidane has been heavily criticised over the years, showing his inexperience and naivety. I cannot for the life of me understand how Real Madrid won three successive Champions League titles. I've seen at least three better Real Madrid sides in my lifetime. His CV is flattering in this respect.

So who would be a good fit? They need somebody modern, refreshing. Somebody to get enjoyment out of the exciting attacking players United have at their disposal. It doesn't have to be somebody young in age either, just somebody young in their thinking and approach. Look at Sarri- he's no whippersnapper and he got into the game quite late, but his methods are more modern than Jose or LVG's were. Leonardo Jardim? Domenico Tedesco? Julian Nagelsmann?

Andy Gray suggested Roberto Martinez tonight. Hahaha

• Paid Members

Thing with Zidane is, his strength is he's a really good man manager. Which wouldnt be the worst thing, with these post-war veterans you have in the United side at the minute. They have a look in their eyes like they've been to war and seen some shit. Anthony Martial and Eric Bailly look like the bloke out of Clockwork Orange after he had his brain wiped.

Andy Gray and Richard Keys looked like Okerlund and Heenan doing Worldwide, when I saw that clip earlier. It looks like another world in that BeIN studio.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

When was it decided that Jose couldn't manage in the Premier League anymore? We finished second on 80 points last season, a total that would have won the league in many previous seasons. Jose's United won games against City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. Don't get me wrong, I can see where the criticisms regarding the style of football come from and I am concerned about the seeming lack of a coordinated direction for the team, but still can't help but feel the over-reaction, to the manager's performance specifically, is way over the top.

Edited by Arch Stanton

You finished second playing shite turgid football. United fans, rightly or wrongly, feel like they have an identity that Mourinho just doesn't get. It's not even a choice between looking good losing (like Liverpool) or looking shit winning. They're losing and shit to watch.