Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I've watched the first couple of episodes of the Man City puff piece on Amazon. Some of the footage is somewhat interesting, but when the story is "and then we won again" it creates little to no drama. The Mourinho coverage is pretty hilarious, showing him as the dickhead that let De Bruyne leave Chelsea and, of course, pointing out he likes to "Park The Bus" where as Pep is the great saviour of attacking football.

Mendy is a shit Pat Evra.

Bring on the Sunderland documentary, and all their mediocrity.

Speaking of which, it was announced yesterday at a Netflix promo event that the Sunderland documentary (titled ‘Sunderland Till I Die’) will be released 14th December.

It’s produced by SAFC fans, Fulwell 73, same guys who made the ‘Class of ‘92’ & ‘I Am Bolt!’ documentaries.

• Paid Members

Just on my way home from Scunthorpe after the Reds drew 2-2 after being 2-0 down. It's a strange feeling being disappointed with a draw after trailing by 2 goals...

• Paid Members

I see Zidane supposedly met with United's Chief Exec during pre-season. So I imagine Jose's not got long left. United did the same to Van Gaal. Wrapped the replacement up before they sacked him. Pretty mad approach that. You've basically got a bloke managing you that you know is shit, but waiting for him to be slightly more shit than you think, so you can sack him.

• Paid Members

It's what he deserves, the miserable old prick. Treat him with the same amount of respect as he treats Luke Shaw I say. Really intrigued by tomorrow's game, Spurs are looking decent so far despite not having much of a pre-season, and with United potentially being unsettled they could be humbled. Imagine if he has United sit back tomorrow.

I see VAR has made its debut for a couple more big European leagues whilst at the Wolves/City game you saw yet another reason why it needs to be introduced here. Boly's goal shouldn't have stood obviously, a quick and exciting look at it via VAR and that would've been sorted.

Good to see us get our first win yesterday, should take off a bit of pressure. Auba needs a goal for confidence. I'd definitely start him and Laca, with Auba on the left. It seemed to work well at the end of last season and during pre-season. Really need to start Torreira as well, the defence is worrying so we need that extra protection that we won't get from Xhaka and Guendouzi (who has been very impressive though).

• Paid Members

It's just a shame this season is a bit of a write off, though. I don't think I've ever gone into a season with United with such little enthusiasm for anything positive happening. Even the early Abramovic years or even Moyes/LVG, there at least wasn't this cloud of overwhelming tedium. It's just never happening with Mourinho.

Be nice to see some entertaining football once more too. 4/5 years of LVG and Mourinho is plenty.

On 20 August 2018 at 4:39 PM, Gus Mears said:

I'm not sure where he would get a job next at the top table. Perhaps a return to Italy for the right role, but I'm not sure what that would be. I don't think any of the Champions League contenders would be especially bothered apart from PSG. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Mourinho end up at the Wolves project with Mendes. You know they would sack the manager right now to bring Mourinho in, especially with Mendes pulling the strings on seemingly everything that pockets him more millions.

Mourinho & modern day Wolves are a perfect match for each other. 

• Paid Members

Wolves are more than happy with Nuno, and if you think Mendes has that level of control at Wolves you're in a fantasy land.

As for a perfect match, Wolves play football nowadays with a level of expressionism, Mourinho would need to work hard to beat that out of them and engage the dirge button.

Great result for us against City, it was never a goal but shit happens, Patricio pulled off a wonder save, and they had to result to diving to get a result (that Sterling dive for their goal should go to review imo). Just hoping we take that forward, as well as how we played against Leicester, and drive on and maybe start scoring a few more.

Edited by Teedy Kay

59 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Wolves are more than happy with Nuno, and if you think Mendes has that level of control at Wolves you're in a fantasy land.

As for a perfect match, Wolves play football nowadays with a level of expressionism, Mourinho would need to work hard to beat that out of them and engage the dirge button.

If Wolves have high ambitions then you cannot tell me they would keep Nuno over Mourinho. Man City were quick enough to bin Mark Hughes despite people saying at the time that he was doing well. I'm sure if Man City fans looked back now at how they have progressed they would accept it was probably the right thing to do. Mourinho love him or hate him would elevate Wolves and at the very least would show Wolves to have some intent. Also I'm sure you would take a team with Mourinho football if it brought you success.

Mendes has close ties to the owner, is an 'advisor' (he isn't allowed to be anything other than that by title) and brought a lot of players into Wolves. He may not officially have that level of control but has a much bigger say in things than you realise, especially when there is money involved.

I doubt Mendes would throw one of his own clients under the bus to try and give Jose an opportunity to step up to the next level anyway.

Also I don't buy in to this bollocks about putting up with Jose because trophies. Football should be enjoyable and fun to watch. It's cynical enough.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Mourinho's not going anywhere unless he can spend hundreds of millions of pounds and has a shot at winning titles. He's not going to be getting that at Wolves, is he?

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Mourinho & modern day Wolves are a perfect match for each other. 

They are far from a perfect match. They're an obvious match, in a lazy journalism kind of obviousness (oh look he's Portuguese and they love all that because Mendes).