Banish Belated Backlash Boredom by Reviewing Random Riots

Onyx2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been given this absolute dream of a match to watch... 

BOOKER T VS BIG T | watch
WCW SUPERBRAWL 2000 | SUPERBRAWL | 2000-02-1

Big T won due to some shenanigans when an even fatter bloke then Ahmed “Big T” Johnson turned up, then those 2 and Stevie Ray were announced as the new Harlem Heat. 

The fat bloke was wearing a big leather jacket, a kangol hat and sunglasses, as I never saw his face I was convinced it was a fat Patrick Kluivert. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Nice thread idea. I wound up with the below upon my first roll - never seen it and only seen flashes of ECW's old output. 

BUH BUH RAY DUDLEY VS TOMMY DREAMER | watch
HARDCORE TV 274 | ECW HARDCORE TV | 1998-07-25

- So for context, apparently this is part of a best of 2 out of 3 series - in the other matches it’s Spike vs Big Dick Dudley (think Spike has been banished from the group for time being?) and Sandman vs D’Von. Whoever wins this series gets to pick a stipulation for a six-man tag at Heatwave ’98. 

Screen_Shot_2018-05-08_at_18_32_28.thumb.png.c89ac94598bb8a906695804bc9307bc0.png

- To set the scene, Joey Styles is announcing alongside Shane Douglas, crowd is hot right out of the gate (“Fuck ‘em up Tommy” is the cry from the ECW faithful), Bubba has ‘3D’ shaved into the side of his head and he’s wearing the classic Dudley’s tye dye gear, so you know it’s on. Joel Gertner is Bubba’s manager at ringside. 

- Great staredown to start with Bubba openly cussing Tommy to his face. Bubba’s actually great as a smarmy prick heel. You don’t see many heated staredowns like this is modern day WWE grudge matches. 

- They skip sections of the match, not sure if this is WWE editing or how it was originally taped/broadcast. Anyway in the early stages, Tommy reverses a back suplex into a crossbody, before they skip to Tommy delivering a baseball slide to the Bubba’s testicles in the corner, which elicits this reaction. 

5af1e08f46cca_ScreenShot2018-05-08at18_33_39.thumb.png.6b0f9771890e837267c9747dc6f9c6e8.png

- Bubba gets revenge after having his testes protruded by crotching Tommy on the steel guardrail on the outside, before smashing his face with a chair then posing to the camera and murmuring “Dreamer. Must. Die.” 

5af1e0a68a0a0_ScreenShot2018-05-08at18_34_29.thumb.png.385e8271942ca2be7d9fb6b04285ac03.png

- Such is Tommy’s bond with the ECW…I want to say Universe?…he’s literally grabbed by his arms and helped up by the crowd sitting at ringside after getting busted open and taking a suplex on the concrete floor. One of the punters looks like 70's Deirdre Barlow from Corrie. 

5af1e0be36b84_ScreenShot2018-05-08at18_35_03.thumb.png.44977cae8152e748de7488ef7b4a5d5a.png

- Tommy goes to put Bubba through a table but is usurped by Jeff Jones, Sign Guy Dudley and Gertner, so Dreamer planchas out onto them. Jack Victory runs in with a guitar. Dreamer DDT’s him, but Bubba uses the guitar to cream Tommy over the head with it to score the win. 

5af1e0d792e8a_ScreenShot2018-05-08at18_36_19.thumb.png.965619772f0fb2c9c37d6f6b91a20fa8.png

Hard to give it a proper rating as this version seems to have a lot of portions skipped, but I liked the staredown, the effective implementations of Tommy and Bubba as a babyface and heel respectively, and the use of multiple characters, which always was a major upside for the promotion in amongst some of the silliness. May go through and see what else happens in the feud and look up some more Dudley stuff from the era. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Dudley Boyz v Balls Mahoney & Axl Rotten - ECW Hardcore TV.

Someone gets hit with a chair

Come on mate, spoilers tag please. 

• Paid Members

@Onyx2 well done, i'm going to play this loads... first match.

MARVELOUS MARC MERO WITH JACQUELINE VS DUSTIN RUNNELS | watch
EPISODE 264 | RAW REPLAYS | 1998-06-15

I'm retiring after this one. Na, actually, i'm looking forward to it. @Liam O'Rourke This could be a fun concept for SCG.

Edit - The Review...

Mero was struttin' about with his new main squeeze following his depart from Sable. JR said he wasn't pleased that Sable had returned, yet he looked fucking chuffed with his new lady to be fair.

Mero received this entrance:

5af20628f0d7f_merodustin1.thumb.png.c84ad396cbc11decaed9d2c35ab9491d.png

Whilst Dustin received this one:
5af20664293fe_merodustin2.thumb.png.2c5d095e317cfd778f8fdd91aa31cf3f.png

Yup, he was going down the "I have no fucking clue who I am anymore phase", to the point that he doesn't get ring music.

The match starts and they don't even get to lock up when Double J and the Godwins turn up complaining that Mero cost him two matches in a row.

5af208e53a570_merodustin3.thumb.png.14a171aa12d11e2b86c1434d5290fa8c.png

Mero and Dustin exchange shoulder barges while the country boys look on. Couple of hip tosses later we end up outside of the ring. Double J refers to what we are watching as "Sports entertainment" when asked about his opinion on Meros managers... alright for fuck sake, it's still only 1998, I didn't realise that was an enforced phrase 20 years ago.
Dustin is bashed in to the steps, Mero rolls him in and hits a Powerbomb, then Dustin is the one who follows up with a clothesline. Yup.
Jeff harps on about how he will get his own back on Mero whilst having a bit of a sweaty dab on.
5af20b3fe3e87_merodustin4.thumb.png.f9ccb7a44354f770d81c90a04bf9d1e9.png

Mero hits a Hurricanrana off the top, Dustin kicks out at 2, Jeff jumps on the apron and distracts Mero, then Sable walks down the aisle to distract Mero, so i'm not sure why Jeff jumped up? Dustin hits a bulldog on the doubly distracted Mero, goes for the pin whilst Jeff counts to 3 and cheers on the apron like a face.

5af20cea4cde8_merodustin5.thumb.png.7fe73d52baa5395777568639eee69666.png

Sable fucks off instantly, Jeff fucks off sharpish, Dustin leaves without music and Mero is left in the ring hugging Jacquelines leg.

I'm off to watch Backlash.

I got R Truth vs Darren Young from the August 3rd 2012 Smackdown show. Lucky me, I guess? 

R-Truth is currently one half of the tag team champions with Kofi Kingston, who is accompanying him to ringside. Kofi is wearing a tremendous white suit here. He looks stylish as fuck. 

R-Truth still has an imaginary friend who was kicked by Daniel Bryan or something, according to Josh Mathews. I don't know. I didn't watch regularly at the time. The commentators then plug Tout. 

Abraham Washington introduces The Prime Time Players. His suit is not as cool as Kofi's. They didn't have the awesome theme music they're well known for. 

The bell rings, and R-Truth gets stuck in with a series of fists and boots. Darren then capitalises with a good powerslam. 

R-Truth is thrown to the outside where Abraham and Titus are standing. Abraham distracts the ref as Titus puts the boots to Truth. Kofi then flys off the steel steps in that fantastic suit, and pummels Titus and looking like the most coolest mother fucker in the world whilst doing so. 

Abraham challenges Kofi, and throws his tacky suit jacket at Kofi. Kofi chases him away as Darren throws Truth back in the ring. 

As Young is on the apron, they do a suplex to the ring spot, but Titus trips Truth up, and Young lands on Truth. Showing an impressive display of agility and strength, Truth backrolls out of the pin, and does a pin of his own for the near fall. 

Kofi runs back to ringside, only to be met by Titus's boot. He still looks very stylish. Truth does a baseball slide dropkick to Titus, but then walks into Darren Young's finisher and loses the bout. 

Young is pleased. Abraham is pleased. Titus is pleased. I'm guessing they were building up to a match at SummerSlam. I don't know if that match actually happened as I've never seen that show, nor want to. 

This match was completely forgettable. A two minute bout which was a bit shit. But Kofi Kingston's suit was the true highlight. Seriously, once New Day disband, Kofi needs to bring that suit back. 

6 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Try watching:
JOHN 'BRADSHAW' LAYFIELD VS UNDERTAKER | watch
RAW 806 | RAW REPLAYS | 2008-11-03

Never seen this, but I'm not expecting Dynamite/Tiger Mask.

Confusingly, this is actually Raw's 800th episode despite the Network saying its Raw 806 - this is the show where Batista lost the WHC to Chris Jericho in a cage match that they both get fined for blading in. As an aside, Jericho's second (or third, I'm not sure which) book has the full story of this which is a very entertaining insight into Vince's batshit ways.

My designated bit starts with JBL's cow moo music, and then the Undertaker's entrance has a cool video flashback to him entering the first ever Raw in the Manhattan Centre to face Damian Demento in 1993. JR and Tazz are on commentary and JR reminds us the undefeated Russian Vladimir Kozlov is facing the Deadman on that Friday's Smackdown.

This match doesn't go long, its over in about 4 minutes and the only offence JBL gets in a single clothesline and a shoulder block, the latter actually causes him to lose the match as he gets counted out after falling through the ropes and being too intimidated by Taker sitting up to return to the ring.

Shawn Michaels then turns up to roll JBL back into the ring where the Deadman hits him with a tombstone.

Taker hits his usual pose and the blue light shines on him and his night's work is over.

The camera then cuts to Jericho backstage in an office that has a big WWE magazine cover in a frame as well as a portrait of Ronald Reagan on the wall.

Yeah..

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

BRUISER BRODIE VS ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER WITH GARY HART 
WCCW 291 | WCCW | 1987-07-25

So my review. 

I haven't watched a whole lot of WCCW. In fact I think the only WCCW I watched was The Triumph and Tragedy doc which I watched while I decorated my son's bedroom one evening, telly and DVD player balanced on furniture shrouded in a dust sheet. 

This gets the "shonky quality warning" and they're not wrong. Clearly a VHS transfer. 

I was going to skip to my match but I accidentally went to the beginning and wouldn't you know it we start with Texas Red v Spoiler (that's Undertaker v Don Jardine, who originally trained the deadman fact fans) so I watch out of curiosity.

Weird aesthetics in play: both guys are masked, and they're both wearing black and red! Mental. Even the commentator says it.

It's a 4 minute match and frankly Mark can't even bump well yet. He kinda flops back, there's no snap at all. His youth is remarked on, along with “when he gets it he's going to be world championship material”. Indeed. 

Anyway, the main event. Bruiser Brody brings a can of gasoline to the ring (?!) and clubs Abdullah several times with it before he even gets through the ropes. Now this may shock some of you, but Abby gets colour in this match. He gets it before the opening bell. Nut. 1m 30 in, Abdullah has juiced Brody too. Everybody is gushing everywhere. “Bruiser Brody is not in wedding picture form.” quite.

The floor is packed but the bleachers empty. Bit of luck because they double DQ to the outside and among the crowd, Brody waffling Abby with a chair before returning to the ring, swinging his chair, foaming at the mouth and barking. One of a kind, and he'll be dead in a year.

I counted the distinct moves used, as if they were labelled in Shut Your Mouth. I think the total was nine between both guys. It's all forearms and boots. But was it ever exciting and heated. The fans were up for it, Abdullah cheated his arse off and I believed Bruiser wanted to kill him for it. Proper heat. 

5 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

"Sports entertainment" ... alright for fuck sake, it's still only 1998, I didn't realise that was an enforced phrase 20 years ago.

Brother, Vince was pushing this phrase as far back as 1985!

Neat concept this. I got The Rock vs Triple H vs The Undertaker from episode 316 of Raw on 14/06/99. I think i vaguely remember this...early Ministry days and The Rock had his hand in a cast i think. I'll give it a watch tomorrow and report back.

59 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

No, only since 2008.  Also, it was never PG before 2008, Kevin Dunn only started working there in 2008, it’s only been a publicly traded company since 2008 and before 2008 they were a proper wrestling company.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Aye, a reference is understandable, but it felt very forced for some reason, probably because he chucked it out there when it was completely unrelated to the question, which was basically “what do you think of Jacqueline?”

Archived