Superstar until I saw you

tiger_rick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
22 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

As someone mentioned him in this thread already does anyone know what happened to MK McKinnon? He seemed to be everywhere for a few months then disappeared.

I believe he stepped away from wrestling due to illness (may be wrong on the reasoning there), and returned to Fight Club Pro in December. 

On 2/28/2018 at 4:25 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

Yeah, he's outstanding. Now on Heart FM in Newcastle, has recently started doing commentary for a few indies.

I'm pleased that he's managed to forge a media career from his humble beginnings, calling the Anarchy Pro Wrestling shows at the Coventry SkyDome.

I had read a LOT about Adam Cole leading up to his WWE debut.   I had it in my mind that he was going to be a bona fide heavyweight.  Whilst he's undeniable charismatic in a Callis/Jackal sort of a way, he looked completely un-Superstar like.

If I can offer a reverse of this, everything I'd read about Kevin Steen led me to expect a fat indyriffic disappointment but he turned out to be absolutely bloody fantastic.

• Paid Members

I had a reverse one. I asked someone to describe Matt Riddle to me ahead of seeing him for the first time and it sounded like the most terrible "good at everything" CAW we all had circa 2000. But then when I saw the bloke, I got him straight away in terms of him knowing who he is. Borderline fell in love with him, actually.

The first time I saw Trent Seven was on the UK championship tournament. I'd heard the name and knew he was among the favourites and expected some bright slim young thing. After I'd seen him I was a bit like "huh, that's it?". Strange look, old, wasn't that into the moustache shtick, just found it all a bit meh.

Fast forward a year though and having seen plenty of his work now, primarily in Progress, he's probably the most charismatic and funniest wrestler in the country and I fucking love him 

Kind of related, but its amazing how much the slightest of tweaks to someone’s look can change the entire perception of them.

I’m doing a bit of a retrospective of Punk’s WWE career at the minute, and it’s frankly astonishing how important a haircut was. He barely looked midcard with his long hair, yet with short hair and a chest tattoo he somehow looked like a proper, actual star.

• Paid Members

It's true. For me the backyarders floppy hair served as a constant reminder of when he used to wear backyarders shorts to wrestle in, and when he had the big gold belt over his shoulder he looked like he'd bought it on eBay and was tarting around a ComiCon in an EC fn W shirt waiting his place patiently in the queue to ask Shelly Martinez to sign his copy of December To Dismember, so he can sneak a look down her top.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Kind of related, but its amazing how much the slightest of tweaks to someone’s look can change the entire perception of them.

I’m doing a bit of a retrospective of Punk’s WWE career at the minute, and it’s frankly astonishing how important a haircut was. He barely looked midcard with his long hair, yet with short hair and a chest tattoo he somehow looked like a proper, actual star.

Works in reverse, too. Whilst I like Jericho, I always thought he looked less of a star when he cut the long hair to a straggly little ponytail and went clean shaven.

I think Jericho only started to get what it took to look like a main eventer in 2008.

He couldn't look any more like a midcarder when he was pushed in 2002 sashaying around with that dorky facial hair, dorky highlights in his hair and dorky clobber.

It was really apparent when he interfered at the end of the Hogan/HHH match at Backlash, like a kid climbed over the railings and started attacking the wrestlers.

People act like he was sabotaged and that's why the HHH/Jericho feud build up sucked. But let's face it, he sucked too.

The Rock doesn't get half enough credit for making him look like a star in 2001, early 2002.

• Paid Members

Back in the mid-90's, in the days of browsing PWI and Inside Wrestling at WH Smith, I  would come across photos of these insane looking Mexican wrestlers. The masks, the costumes, the flips, the spins, it all looked terrific. Being about 8 at the time, I didn't think I'd ever see them in action and just went about watching WWF, Street Sharks and Biker Mice From Mars.

Imagine my excitement when my Granddad taped Royal Rumble 1997 for me. Imagine my further excitement when a bunch of those same masked flyers came out for a 6-man tag. Imagine by disappointment when they proceeded to stink the joint up. They were slow and cumbersome, with little in the way of  fancy acrobatics and aerial twists. A few of them even got to make tits of themselves in the Rumble itself.

I  disregarded lucha for a stupid amount of time after that. It was only until I got a copy of WCW Spring Stampede 1999 and saw the fantastic Blitzkrieg vs Juvi encounter that I finally began to see what all the fuss was about.

The Bullet Club - From all the buzz I was expecting them to be the hottest thing since the new World order, causing havoc in NJPW and running roughshod over the whole company. I had never seen a stable's t-shirt so widely won since the nWo. Started watching NJPW and they weren't even the most interesting stable in the company.  

Archived