Superstar until I saw you

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Not sure there'll be enough of these but worth a go. Mine is Doug Dillinger. I remember his name coming up all the time in PowerSlam. Head of security Doug Dillinger split up this fight or held back this guy. He seemed like the one guy no one messed with. I kept waiting for the day he got in the ring. I was expecting it to be a big introduction of a top wrestler, like the WWF did with Test over a much shorter timespan. I think in my head, he was a young Steve Williams.

When I finally got some WCW tapes, I was stunned to find he looked like Bill Watts' Dad. Still think its a shame WCW never learned to protect their up and coming faces as well as they did Dillinger.Ā 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Almost any of the old OVW lot, outside of the "big four" of Brock, Cena, Orton and Batista. You'd read rave reviews in magazines about Doug Basham, Nick Dinsmore, Brent Albright, and whoever else, and then when you finally got to see them they were as bland as they come.

• Paid Members

Reckless Youth. I saw his name bandied about in Powerslam, in the rankings lists in PWI and various other places only to finally clap eyes on him, and he was this unspectacular indie-riffic T shirt wrestler. Proper letdown that was.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Almost any of the old OVW lot, outside of the "big four" of Brock, Cena, Orton and Batista. You'd read rave reviews in magazines about Doug Basham, Nick Dinsmore, Brent Albright, and whoever else, and then when you finally got to see them they were as bland as they come.

This was my first thought. Basham, Dinsmore, Damaja and Rob Conway. (I actually quite liked Albright).

My second thought would be the ECW guys featured in Mick Foleyā€™s first book who I had no frame of reference for. Especially Tommy Dreamer - whatever image Iā€™d built up of this extreme hero in my head, it was NOT what the real Tommy Dreamer looked like.

Finally, bucketloads of indy guys youā€™d hear raves about online who turned out to be lads in pleather (Super Dragon, Chris Hero), really scrawny or skinny (Zack Sabre Jr, Adam Cole) or a combination of the two (Mike Quackenbush).

Lord Tensei.

I remembered him as A-Train of course, but after hearing all about his great work overseas I was expecting more in the way of improvement. Instead he pulled down his tights, squatted in the centre of the ring, and birthed the "Albert in Japan" meme that practically defines this thread.

Mistico as Sin Cara in WWE.

I'd not seen any of his work prior to signing with WWE, but reportedly a huge international signing, the new Rey for the Mexican audience, press conferences, video packages... I was expecting a high flyer who could mix it with the best, quick paced bouts, and a guy destined for greatness. Then he fell off the top turnbuckle...

• Paid Members

Probably means nothing to anyone but longtime BritWres fans but for me, MK McKinnan. Having never seen a fight club pro show I was told forever that he was the guy they had most likely of making waves nationally. Then I saw him wrestle and it was a woeful level of "is that it?"

Shane Douglas, RavenĀ the aforementioned Tommy Dreamer and Sabu (who I pronounced as Say-boo) all from Mick Foley's descriptions of them in Have a Nice Day and various articles in PS during the late 90's/early 2000's.

Archived