5 star wrestling

matty_kissarmy

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What was going on during swaggers entrance when commentary were asking for security and the audio got cut. Was it Bram?

production was bad but not terrible. Someone didn't know what to do with the hardside camera. You're going to light a venue like that, you might as well be in a small studio

• Paid Members

Only dipped in and out but what I saw was dull and uninspiring. A lot of the in ring work that I saw was what you could get in any sports centre or working men's club any Friday or Saturday. No one looked like they really cared that they were there. 

The crowd were very quiet most of the time. I'd guess they'd given out a lot of free tickets to people who were not really wrestling fans, and they seemed to spend more time talking to each other than watching what was going on. 

Saw most of the main event, RVD has had the munchies for a few years now hasn't he. I know that's the pot calling the kettle black with me calling someone fat, but he looks like he's been calling for the pot and then the Greggs. Their match was pretty average to say the least. 

My biggest gripe though was the commentary. The worst cliched stuff coming out of their mouths all the time. Sounded hammy as hell and made Nigel McGuiness sound like Gordon Solie. 

I'll give it another go next week but I can honestly say that if I had a free ticket I probably wouldn't go. 

Didn't watch it all, but my expectations were met when they accidentally cut to black and then a countdown clock during a ring entrance. Just not enough of that on live TV, these days. 

I know it's been said before, but it's worth repeating: 3 hours. Just no. 

Zack Gibson is just the boss. The first 3 min of his entrance trashing the owners, the music, the americans and putting over british wrestling was the highlight of the show. Then owning the commentators in the main event was spot on.

thoughts on the show

piss poor crowd

dark arena hiding the piss poor crowd making it look like an Impact dark match

Commentators talking over entrances and ring announcers. Joe looked like he had eaten a packet of skittles each match with how he was moving whenever the camera was on them.

Those ropes, when Morrison pulled them and went "wow" or Jody pulling down the top rope and it touching the middle one

The fire dancers for Rey.

Tag team entrances when the graphics only showed one person name (only Jody and Dave Mastiff's name came on the promo screen for their tag matches)

Same music for the brits

Barriers the wrong way round so wrestlers had less space and kids couldn't see

Mats not even taped down around the ring

Poor backstage skits (what was with jumping into the door?)

Be watching next week to see if improves but for anyone who was a casual WWE viewer and tuned into that for a first view of British wrestling then it was a poor attempt.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

Zack Gibson is just the boss. The first 3 min of his entrance trashing the owners, the music, the americans and putting over british wrestling was the highlight of the show. Then owning the commentators in the main event was spot on.

thoughts on the show

piss poor crowd

Same music for the brits

To add my thoughts to some of what you've noticed; Zack Gibson seems to have been pretty much the only highlight, but even then, he's the British wrestler on a British show, putting over British wrestling...and he's the heel. The Americans were working face against the Brits, almost invariably, on UK soil. "Britain vs. America" is an angle that BritWres has been running ever since World of Sport got kicked off telly, with British veterans cutting the same, "let's show the yanks how it's done!" promo for decades, it's the easiest bit of booking imaginable and they got it wrong. And the same music thing just played into that - the Brits all came out of it looking like second class citizens. I'm going to take a guess that they had different music lined up for the British talent, and were only told at the last minute that they couldn't use it for copyright reasons, and had to make do. But it could just be that the people running the show were completely fucking clueless.

The crowd was awful. A generous estimate of 600 people, in an 11,000 seater arena. There's no way they made money on this show. It also shows that no amount of advertising is enough if people don't trust you as a company, or don't have any investment in your product. 600 would be a great turn-out for a British indie show - it's objectively a terrible turn-out for a promotion with national TV coverage, running a building that could accommodate thousands more, with big name former WWE talent, and months of advertising in both national and local press. And that was for the first show - do you think they're going to sell any more tickets for future shows off the back of what they just put on TV? Was anyone on the fence about buying tickets for next week's show, but saw the TV show and thought, "I have to be a part of this!"? - I bloody well doubt it.

I feel bad for the people involved, in-ring and behind the scenes, that are invested in seeing British wrestling grow and improve, and just wanted to put on a great show. But I have no sympathy for the promoters behind this shambles - ever since they first appeared on the scene, people with more talent, experience and knowledge have been criticising them, telling them what they're doing wrong, and how they could do it better, and I know for a fact they had people working behind the scenes last night that have been involved in BritWres for decades, and were likely pulling their hair out by the end of this show.

But this is clearly a case of the promoter not listening to, or not caring about, advice they must have been sincerely given countless times, and criticisms they've received countless more, because literally everything that anyone with any knowledge or sense has been saying would go wrong did go wrong, and they clearly learned nothing from the last shitshow they tried to pull off. We've all encountered promoters like that, the only difference is that most of them don't have access to tens of thousands of pounds and a platform to farm their shit out to a national audience.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

How did it compare to World Of Sport?

I would say it was much worse than WoS. The main thing would be the crowd. WoS was a pretty hot crowd with signs and you could see they were into the matches. 5 Star was more like that PPV that WCW did where it was supposed to be an NWO PPV. The brits were treated like the WCW guys on that show and it had that dark and shoddy look about it as a whole. 

24 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I would say it was much worse than WoS. The main thing would be the crowd. WoS was a pretty hot crowd with signs and you could see they were into the matches.

I was at wos. Signs where provided, and the cheering and booing was recorded between matches.

lots of chat about the crowd size, but I thought they made a lotta noise and it wasn’t lost to the empty space. I prefer the crowd being blacked off, you are there to watch the ring, not some pricks who try and get themselves over which we see far too often 

Joes twitching in the commentators cuts was OTT, but he’s a wrestler doing his second commentary on a 3 hour show, I’d expect nerves. 

Yeah they have money, and are spending it recklessly like what culture done and got grief for . But telling me if any other promoter in uk had that backing they wouldn’t do the same ? 

Gibson was the heel, but ended the night with him standing over the imports. Build him at someone to hate, makes it easier to get crowds to buy into whoever from uk he starts facing on the babyface side. However from their roster, no top uk based babyface stands out. Maybe flash At a push has the look and mic skills to go against Gibson? Certainly has tv levels of selling for a plucky underdog style win 

was it perfect? No

was it the worst show I have ever seen? No 

but I fast forwarded none of it, which I don’t think I have done for a raw since sky plus became a thing, so it’s has a base to build on 

Archived