• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's vinegar before salt, always. The vinegar acts as a glue for the salt, you gravy instead of curry sauce wronguns. Since running out of vinegar in a bottle, my current dispenser is a 29p bottle of Morrisons own with holes stabbed in the lid. Lush. 

• Paid Members

If you dip your dick in vinegar before coitus, it allegedly encourages the female sperm to swim faster, enabling you to have a girl child.

Christ knows how they came to that conclusion.

• Awards Moderator

I'm at home this weekend alone. As those of you with families know this is heaven sent, but I'm so paralysed by choice I'm wasting it collecting vinegars from around the house and pictures of them on the internet for strangers.

IMG_20171028_123919.thumb.jpg.b1a2a0def6c13c58d7883357900060bd.jpg

Carving fork for +1 ponciness.

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Where are we all at with pickled goods?

I'm massively into pickled lemons this year. So tasty!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Apropos of this; what is it like in the States for getting fish and chips? Only been to New England and they had tremendous sea food unsurprisngly, but did not bump into a decent looking chippy.

That’s an interesting one - i go to a chippy in Brooklyn that is bang average, but I get the impression that it’s one of the greatest chip shops in the whole USA. The fish is good, but the chips... they just can’t get it right. There’s a decent one in greenwich Village , in an area with a small group of British shops, and they’re pretty decent too, but steep as expensive chips. They do get bonus points for doing proper takeaway.

They always talk about New England fish and chips, but I have no trust that it’s the real deal.

• Paid Members

@Onyx2 the pickled lemon is immense. Such an intense lemon flavour, had it in a few Moroccan dishes. 

Im sure we've discussed this before but do they still have chippy sauce in Scottish chip shops. That is half a bottle of brown sauce mixed with half a bottle of vinegar from the big pickled onions. We make it occasionally but it's never the same. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

That’s an interesting one - i go to a chippy in Brooklyn that is bang average, but I get the impression that it’s one of the greatest chip shops in the whole USA. The fish is good, but the chips... they just can’t get it right. There’s a decent one in greenwich Village , in an area with a small group of British shops, and they’re pretty decent too, but steep as expensive chips. They do get bonus points for doing proper takeaway.

They always talk about New England fish and chips, but I have no trust that it’s the real deal.

Where is this chippy in Brooklyn?  Sod some reason I really want to have a look at it on google maps.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Where are we all at with pickled goods?... personally, I love picked eggs, gherkins and beetroot.

Pickled red cabbage is massively underrated in my opinion, but huge pickled onions (the darker the vinegar, the better) and a nice big whalley are king of pickled goods.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, scratchdj said:

It’s not vinegar, (I’d definitely call it a 3rd cousin), but Henderson’s Relish is bloody lush. It’s a northern thing and I’d never heard of it down here until I heard Tom Wrigglesworth’s Hang-Ups on Radio 4 one evening. He was getting family in Sheffield to send it to him in London.

I didn’t realise it was a real thing until a few days later and a mate up North sent me some. It’s amazingly tasty.

Hendo's is a Sheffield thing, almost everyone up here has a bottle in their cupboard. There's Henderson's merchandise and everything- special edition bottles and all that. From what I can tell, you barely see it in supermarkets outside of Sheffield, though. My family in Manchester had never heard of it until I gave my mum a bottle.

Archived