• Paid Members

After a slight derail in the pets pics thread, Keith suggested a separate thread and he’s right.

Not only should the pet thread stay pure and wholesome, without the biter taste of vinegar, but vinegar deserves its own thread.

This thread is purely for your vinegar stories, conquests and top tips. As discussed in the pet thread, I have s couple of friends who have somewhat strange vinegar placements. One keeps his in the shed because his wife despises it, he’s not allowed it in the house. 

Another mate collects sachets of vinegar because he refuses to pay for it. He rinses sachets regularly, and has multiple mounds of vinegar laid around the house. If it can be deemed a surface it probably houses vinegar.

Keith keeps his empty vinegar bottle next to his copy of office space.

No idea where this ones going, no idea why I listened to Keith, I highly doubt it’s going to be a red hot topic. Who knows.. let’s vinegar.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Being a massive food ponce I have 9 types of vinegar in my cupboard, 2 types of balsamic alone. I also picked up this wicked condiment in the Lake District this summer called Hawksmoor Relish, which is a sharp-sweet vinegar thing. Goes great on melted cheese. 

• Paid Members

I share Onyx’s poncy love of the fine vinegars, but I also keep white vinegar in stock by the litre for household tasks.  A good sprinkling of bicarbonate follwed by a squirt of the vinegar clears and cleans plug holes lovely.  If I’m washing a greasy roasting dish, a good dollop into hot soapy water helps getting that pan really clean.

• Moderators

My grandad once complained of a cup of tea I'd made him as being absolutely disgusting. Turned out that instead of adding the usual dozen hits of sugar from the sugar shaker, he'd used the vinegar shaker instead. He did love his vinegar. If he was having chips, you could smell the vinegar as soon as you opened the front door. It was like vinegar soup with a few chips at the bottom.

There ends my vinegar anecdotes.

• Paid Members

I'm like that with the vinegar, Astro — fish and chips is like the medieval carnival, all restraint goes out the window, the peasants are the kings, and you can have a double-sized chips and a roe on the side, all covered in indecent amounts of salt and vinegar.

I had a nightmare of a time finding any malt vinegar here at all — in a personal low moment, I think I paid $7 for a pint of sarsons. Finally found a supplier, now, though, and I'm paying $2ish.

8 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Another mate collects sachets of vinegar because he refuses to pay for it. He rinses sachets regularly, and has multiple mounds of vinegar laid around the house. If it can be deemed a surface it probably houses vinegar.

My work van is full of sachets in the glovebox.. Not just vinegaar, but salt, Ketchup, Brown sauce, sugar and plastic utensils.

Fish and Chips code: salt, vinegar, salt.

The vinegar disintegrates the initial salt and the second salt takes the sharpness of the gallons of vinegar down a notch.

Also i once cried because my mum wouldn't let me drink the vinegar as i insisted it was cola. In the end she let me, revealing two things about her as a parent. One she is a sadistic son of a bitch and two she had no qualms about a young son drinking caffeinated soft drinks.

• Paid Members

With fish and chips, it’s no holds barred, it’s the only time my wife doesn’t look at me in disgust and comment about the obscene volume of salt and vinegar I’m using.

Snacks too though, salt and vinegar (closely followed by chilli) peanuts are bloody insanely good. Heads up, Aldi have started with their Christmas snacks and these bad lads are ruining my diet;

F481DB71-B967-4572-9F12-C6DDF67436B8.jpeg

• Paid Members

Vinegar is rank. I won't tolerate it on my plate or anywhere near me. Vile stuff.

My wife thinks it's funny for some reason. Not long after she first found out I hated vinegar, we hadn't been together long and she decided it'd be funny to eat a bag of Salt & Vinegar crisps out of sight (S&V Disco's were her poison of choice on this occasion) and then come and sit next to me in the livingroom and kiss me out of the blue. Didn't seem unusual as we were still in that early couple stage when you're at it all the time and I thought my luck was in. But within about 2 seconds of the kiss, I could taste that fucking rancid sour devil piss and I was gagging like Omar's co-stars. Wretching, eyes watering, the lot. As she pissed herself laughing. 

Even after putting me through that trauma she's had sporadic attempts over the years of lacing my fucking food with a bit of vinegar "to see if I'll notice". Why? And I do notice everytime. This is a form of fucking spousal abuse, isn't it? And now my 3 year old daughter has decided she likes 'vigenar' (she can't say vinegar) as well. So not only is vinegar disgusting and abhorrent and ruins the food on any plate it's on, now I can't do little things like kiss my wife or daughter without checking their breath first. It's no way to live, this. 

Vinegar is just wrong, in my opinion. I've had mates argue in its defence and try to convert me, for some reason, but I'll never join the dark side. Never. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

I'm like that with the vinegar, Astro — fish and chips is like the medieval carnival, all restraint goes out the window, the peasants are the kings, and you can have a double-sized chips and a roe on the side, all covered in indecent amounts of salt and vinegar.

I had a nightmare of a time finding any malt vinegar here at all — in a personal low moment, I think I paid $7 for a pint of sarsons. Finally found a supplier, now, though, and I'm paying $2ish.

Apropos of this; what is it like in the States for getting fish and chips? Only been to New England and they had tremendous sea food unsurprisngly, but did not bump into a decent looking chippy.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Fish and Chips code: salt, vinegar, salt.

Absolutely. Never vinegar before the first round of salt, otherwise it won't make its way through the portion and just sit in the chips are the top, soaked up by the vinegar.

Oh, and definitely onion vinegar where possible.

Archived