• Moderators
On 29/10/2017 at 2:13 PM, PowerButchi said:

Chip Shops are lying to us.

Interesting! Watching this made me go check the bottle I bought from my local fish and chip shop, and sure enough it actually says 'non brewed condiment' on it, and doesn't say vinegar anywhere on the bottle.

It's the taste that I've grown up with having on chips, so as a result I prefer this to regular malt vinegar for fish and chips.

I've still got a bunch of other vinegars in my cupboard, of course for other situations. (Balsamic, cider, white wine, red wine, rice wine, malt, distilled)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a middle class ponce, I make my own vinegar from the dregs of wine bottles.  I still buy malt vinegar for chips though, you can't replicate that taste.

I was once told that if you get vinegar put on your chips in the shop, it helps them stay crispy and fresh for taking home.  I can't see any reason that would be true though.

• Paid Members

Big up the balsamic in here. A few splashes of that to a home-made ragu has my seal of approval.

Red cabbage is one of my absolute favourite vegetables. I tend to add, in addition to red wine and balsamic vinegars, a red onion, apples, cinnamon and a few sultanas when doing the Christmas roast.

• Paid Members

In the summer of 2015 I made one of my best ever homebrews - a Bavarian weissbier. Every few days I'd have a pint from the keg at the end of a warm day. Then one day it tasted a bit off so I poured it and left the keg alone.  A few days later it was vinegar, 15 pints of vinegar. I never even put it on my chips, it just accompanied my tears down the drain. 

• Paid Members

We eat a lot of pickled goods in our house as my mum is a keen gardener & has 2 allotments so she makes a shedload of pickles, chutneys, jams etc which she sells at Christmas but we get a lot sent our way. Pickled red cabbage is one of my favourites, it's best on a toasted, buttered crumpet.

As Gus said above, balsamic added to any tomato pasta sauce is fantastic. For chips, I top up an old Sarsons bottle with the left over vinegar from a jar of mums pickled onions. Buzzing.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

For chips, I top up an old Sarsons bottle with the left over vinegar from a jar of mums pickled onions. Buzzing.

I really like the sound of that. I love pickles, but I don’t know how the idea of saving the vinegar has never really crossed my mind. 

I might try this with jalapeño juice. 

Im a bit crazily addicted to Farmfood's Chip shop style Pickled Onions at the moment, they have just the right acidity and the vinegar is superb on chips, soaks in real nice. The non brewed condiment thing was always a running joke at a pub I worked at because most of the staff had no idea what it was, one poor sod though it was some type of bleach. Oops

In terms of table vinegar though, is there any that surpasses Sarsons? 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived