• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll probably be considered a bit of a wrong 'un as I don't put salt on anything. I'll put some in the water when boiling veg and whatnot, but I don't shake it on any food.

Vinegar though is something I can't imagine chips (and things similar to chips) without. When I was young, I would sneakily sip it out the bottle when I wasn't being watched. My Grandmother apparently used to do the same, and she warned me that it would "burn holes in my stomach" if I carried on.

I generally just have a bottle of Sarson's brown malt (and some white vinegar in the cupboard under the sink), but will occasionally have a flavoured one to mix it up.

Tried the old salt-vinegar-salt method today for the first time tonight. Didn't notice too much difference, but then the chips weren't great tonight.

If we can talk about vinegar flavoured snacks (do we have a snacks/chocolate/crisps thread?), I am completely obsessed with Jacobs Cracker Crisps-Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar. They are the most Vinegary crisp I've ever come across and are incredibly moreish. £1 a pack on offer in Morrisons the other day. Bought 10.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Tried the old salt-vinegar-salt method today for the first time tonight. Didn't notice too much difference, but then the chips weren't great tonight.

If we can talk about vinegar flavoured snacks (do we have a snacks/chocolate/crisps thread?), I am completely obsessed with Jacobs Cracker Crisps-Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar. They are the most Vinegary crisp I've ever come across and are incredibly moreish. £1 a pack on offer in Morrisons the other day. Bought 10.

They are absolutely lovely. If you haven’t yet, try the Ritz equivalent, another lovely vinegar snack.

That video ratting out chippys was a bit weird. I had no idea, however it’s interesting that some vinegars sell themselves as ‘chip shop vinegar’ as a selling point because people love the chippy version, which is odd, as I assume they are real vinegars.

• Paid Members

Pickled onions are one of my favourite foods ever, whether it's regular malt vinegar, sweet, or chilli, closely followed by loads of it on fish and chips. I find lots of vinegar makes up for the sub-standard chips we get in London.

• Paid Members

Bloody love vinegar. Chips aren't chips unless they're absolutely sodden in the stuff, and there's an appreciable pool of it left on the plate when you're done.

Took me years after moving to Jersey to find a chip shop that did decent chips, and understood the worth of vinegar - everywhere that my mates swore was a great chippy, they were just limp, undercooked flavourless things, and if you asked for vinegar you'd barely get a dribble of the stuff. Eventually found somewhere that did really good chips, and happened to be around the corner from where my parents were living at the time, but even then you'd be lucky to get enough vinegar, so just took to asking for them without and taking them home to distribute vinegar myself - or, if I was having a takeaway, to make sure I'd stocked up on sachets. At least once ended up nipping to the corner shop to buy a bottle after getting my takeaway chips.

The other thing you just couldn't get over here for years was scraps. Same chip shop eventually did offer them - I was up at the parents' place, as family were over, and my Dad came through the door and gleefully announced that he'd got scraps. I honestly don't think I've ever seen him happier or prouder.

Now I just need to find somewhere I can get chip spice...

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, scratchdj said:

It’s not vinegar, (I’d definitely call it a 3rd cousin), but Henderson’s Relish is bloody lush. It’s a northern thing and I’d never heard of it down here until I heard Tom Wrigglesworth’s Hang-Ups on Radio 4 one evening. He was getting family in Sheffield to send it to him in London.

I didn’t realise it was a real thing until a few days later and a mate up North sent me some. It’s amazingly tasty.

Hendos is surely sent from the Gods. I'm from Sheffield and you can't move for the stuff up here. We use it in loads of things in our house but I like to use it on cheese on toast where I practically soak my toast in it before the cheese goes on. It's also the reason this masterpiece exists. 

• Paid Members

I use so much Vinegar on stuff, my Mrs is certain it will kill me one day. 

I think it all stems from my Nanan, who adored the stuff and put it on almost anything. I remember sitting watching the tele with a plate of seafood with the stuff on, it even made shit like tripe eatable. 

But one of the best vinegar experiences I had, was when she ran out of the stuff(no idea how, as she used to buy massive jugs of the stuff from the market) and she handed me a jay of pickled onions to use the vinegar on my chips. Wow! It's the future, I'm telling thi...

• Paid Members
On 10/28/2017 at 4:22 PM, PunkStep said:

Pickled red cabbage is massively underrated in my opinion, but huge pickled onions (the darker the vinegar, the better) and a nice big whalley are king of pickled goods.

Red cabbage <3 Waitrose do an amazing 'prepared veg' version that has a bit of apple in it too. I could eat the entire pack. 

Archived